XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement

Old 05-14-2016, 07:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Donnelly rear view mirror

Gordo,
Thank you for the information. Now I know that my wonderful eBay purchase may have not been so fortunate ($60). It's a Donnelly Model #01823 with a slider, off-to-max, on the lower front. The old rear view mirror had completely darkened except for a narrow strip at the top, undoubtedly due to 6 years in the Central Florida heat. The "new" mirror (which does look new) has a round, maybe inch and a quarter in diameter, mounting button imbedded at the end of the support arm. My problem is: How do I remove this disc to glue it to my new windshield, or do I leave it in place? Many thanks to you or to anyone else who may take the time to give a stranger some advice.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

You are saying that you can not use the existing post already mounted on the window?

Old 05-14-2016, 08:18 AM
Default New Jag windshield

Sometimes I think this country is going right down the toilet, and Safelite is part of the problem, wanting $950 to replace the windshield on my '97 xj6. Guardian wanted $895. Chuck's Auto Glass of Central Florida came to my home, installed a new windshield in about 30 minutes, including a Jaguar mounting bracket already glued in place, for $250. The price included a leak-free lifetime warranty. Caveat emptor.

The following users liked this post:
jimmiejag (07-12-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 08:28 AM
Default rear view mirror mount

That is correct, Gordo. The mount presently on the windshield is exactly as described and pictured in the "yellow tab" photos.
Ted

Old 07-08-2016, 10:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello GordoCatCar. I just wanted to add my thanks. I followed your instructions and sent the broken mirror off to Sybesma. The fix cost me US$175 but then that is the extra postage to Australia. Now all is good.

GordoCatCar (07-09-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 05:58 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Just thought I'd add photo's for an 03 car mirror mount as it is different than the earlier ones, however the same instructions still apply!

A little lube and downward push with a slight wiggle and it came off.

I have an 03 and the surround for the center puck in your picture came off. Tried 3 adhesive kits but won't stay on. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-image.jpg  
Old 11-01-2016, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear view mirror for 2000 vanden plas

I am looking for a rear view mirror for my 2000 vanden plas. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance for your support.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Default Can the oval liquid happen overnight?

I had my car in a jaguar shop for some major repairs. When I dropped it off the mirror was perfect, when I picked it up the mirror had an oval of liquid in it. What are the chances they swapped it out for there own vehicle? Or can this happen overnight?

Old 02-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,206 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I would hope this did not take place.

Originally Posted by TexasXJR
I had my car in a jaguar shop for some major repairs. When I dropped it off the mirror was perfect, when I picked it up the mirror had an oval of liquid in it. What are the chances they swapped it out for there own vehicle? Or can this happen overnight?

Old 02-09-2017, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
I would hope this did not take place.
As would I that's why I was wondering if it could happen that quickly. Seemed a bit odd to me.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question xk8 rearview mirror replacement

i need to replace my 98 xk8 rearview mirror - it is a donnelly 011530 with 6 wires [black,brown,gray,green,white,yellow] + a yellow connector

i see available units with 3 + 8 wires

1=my question is if i buy one of these and just do not connect the wires will the mirror function function just as an ordinary mirror?

2= or will the cat get upset because the mirror is not connected?

3= if i buy a 3 wire unit can i just connect the 3 wires to make it happy?

4= if i buy an 8 wire unit can i just connect 6 wires to make it happy?

Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Received 7,849 Likes on 4,749 Posts

Send it to SYBESMAS

bob

GordoCatCar (03-20-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 12:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it is just too bad that SYBESMAS does not send out a mirror before customer returns the old - that way the customer would not have to go for days without a mirror

Old 04-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello all.

I also have a failing rear view mirror.

Looking for ressources here, I found that most of the issues are fine for the US market, but for Euros like us, it is not so convenient, so I'm looking for solutions, and have some informations to share for Euros like me.
Most of the second hand parts are in the USA, and as soon as you look for a "XK8 mirror", it would cost 150$+shipping.

First problem : I have a 6 plug but 4 wires mirror

Here is the connector mirror side :

Here is the connector windshield side :

Most of the mirrors I find are 3 wires, instead of 4, so what is the wire that has been removed ? And does it cause any compatibility issue ?
My car has no auto lighting, no rain detection, but auto dimming external mirrors.

I am looking for a Donnelly 011530, but after some researchs, it seems that the Magna (new Donnelly name) 015904 would have works well, being an updated gel version of the 011530, can anyone confirm ?

Acura is a popular replacement here, but Acura is US, and europeans Honda has little to share with US Acuras. I have been unable to identify a EU HONDA part number corresponding to the US Acura part 76400-SEP-A02za

Anyway, I continued looking for a Donnelly 011530, and here is the interesting information for euros like me :

This mirror has been widely used in French cars in early 2000's. As far as I found out, it has been fitted on :

-Peugeot 406 mk2
-Peugeot 807 / Citroen C8 / Fiat Ulysse (same car, just different branding)
-Renault Avantime

Some of them might be 015904

Also to be noted if some are interested, most of the Renault of that era have similar Donnelly mirrors 015708, mounted upside-down, slightly different.
I have no idea of the compatibility, but the point is that they are easily available in beige color. Some of you may be interested to have a mirror with the same color as the rest of their interior
RENAULT SCENIC MEGANE LAGUNA AUTO DIMMING INTERIOR REAR VIEW MIRROR 8200286924 | eBay

And you know the best part of that ? All these mirrors cost around 40€, and are very common in Europe.

Anyway, after all these researchs, here is my plan and I would like to know if some of you could answer some questions :

- What is the issue with my 4th wire compared to a common 3-wire ?

- Is the 015904 really compatible with the 011530, anyone can confirm ?

- I plan to get a french 011530 (or 015904), scavenge my XK8 mirror-side plug to fit it on the new mirror, scavenge my XK8 mirror fixation (the ball and mounting) and put it on the new mirror.
Is there any issue I should know with that plan ?

Thank you very much.

someguywithajag (08-22-2021)
Old 04-03-2017, 03:09 PM

Hello all.

I also have a failing rear view mirror.

Looking for ressources here, I found that most of the issues are fine for the US market, but for Euros like us, it is not so convenient, so I'm looking for solutions, and have some informations to share for Euros like me.
Most of the second hand parts are in the USA, and as soon as you look for a " mirror", it would cost 150$+shipping.

First problem : I have a 6 plug but 4 wires mirror

Here is the connector mirror side :

Here is the connector windshield side :

Most of the mirrors I find are 3 wires, instead of 4, so what is the wire that has been removed ? And does it cause any compatibility issue ?
My car has no lighting, no rain detection, but ming external mirrors.

I am looking for a Donnelly 011530, but after some researchs, it seems that the Magna (new Donnelly name) 015904 would have works well, being an updated gel version of the 011530, can anyone confirm ?

Acura is a popular replacement here, but Acura is US, and europeans Honda has little to share with US Acuras. I have been unable to identify a EU HONDA part number corresponding to the US Acura part 76400-SEP-A02za

Anyway, I continued looking for a Donnelly 011530, and here is the interesting information for euros like me :

This mirror has been widely used in French cars in early 2000's. As far as I found out, it has been fitted on :

-Peugeot 406 mk2
-Peugeot 807 / Citroen C8 / Fiat Ulysse (same car, just different branding)
-Renault Avantime

Some of them might be 015904

Also to be noted if some are interested, most of the Renault of that era have similar Donnelly mirrors 015708, mounted upside-down, slightly different.
I have no idea of the compatibility, but the point is that they are easily available in beige color. Some of you may be interested to have a mirror with the same color as the rest of their interior
RENAULT SCENIC MEGANE LAGUNA MING INTERIOR REAR VIEW MIRROR 8200286924 | eBay

And you know the best part of that ? All these mirrors cost around 40€, and are very common in Europe.

Anyway, after all these researchs, here is my plan and I would like to know if some of you could answer some questions :

- What is the issue with my 4th wire compared to a common 3-wire ?

- Is the 015904 really compatible with the 011530, anyone can confirm ?

- I plan to get a non-jag 011530 (or 015904), scavenge my mirror-side plug to fit it on the new mirror, scavenge my mirror fixation (the ball and mounting) and put it on the new mirror.
Is there any issue I should know with that plan ?

Thank you very much.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Battery wr
Reverse yw
Ground black
Auto headlights yu
Mirror tint (wire to outside mirrors) PB

In case you did know letters = wire colors

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
someguywithajag (08-22-2021), toaster (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 05:23 PM

Okay, I can confirm that you can repair your mirror for cheap using a 015904 from Peugeot/Citroen, easily findable for a few euros in a breakyard.

BUT the 015904 has NO OTHER compatibility with our 011530 than the mirror (reflective part) in itself.
In fact, any mirror from Magna Donnelly with the same technology will fit, as long as the mirror is the same size.

So yes, a state-of-the-art fix for 30 euros is totally possible and quite easy. Just dismount carefully your mirror, without breaking your cover, and swap the reflective parts.

Just for your information, when leaked, the liquid solder the 2 plastics parts of the cover. Use a saw to dismount the lower part, otherwise you may break the whole plastic case.

But when open, it's easy to operate.

volkris (02-11-2023)
Old 04-05-2017, 05:42 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthopedux
Okay, I can confirm that you can repair your mirror for cheap using a 015904 from Peugeot/Citroen, easily findable for a few euros in a breakyard.

BUT the 015904 has NO OTHER compatibility with our 011530 than the mirror (reflective part) in itself.
In fact, any mirror from Magna Donnelly with the same technology will fit, as long as the mirror is the same size.

So yes, a state-of-the-art fix for 30 euros is totally possible and quite easy. Just dismount carefully your mirror, without breaking your cover, and swap the reflective parts.

Just for your information, when leaked, the liquid solder the 2 plastics parts of the cover. Use a saw to dismount the lower part, otherwise you may break the whole plastic case.

But when open, it's easy to operate.

There are a lot of cheap mirrors:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...irror&_sacat=0

99-08 ACURA CL TL MDX REAR VIEW MIRROR AUTO DIM DONNELLY MAGNA OEM | eBay

Old 04-05-2017, 06:34 AM

Yep. Nearly every mirror the same size of ours will fit.

When I looked for a mirror, the only solutions I found where in the USA. Acura is a popular option but absolutly not available in Europe.

But luckily, French car manufacturers also used Acura mirrors here in Europe and are easy to find here, that's the important information.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The pics you offer don't show. And I would really like to see them. I'm doing my mirror as soon as I see your pics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement