XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery not charging light on

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Go to jagrepair.com. You need to look for the wiring diagram for you specific year. When you have about 10 posts you can download JTIS21, the factory manual from a sticky near the top of the page. That has repair info and wiring.

Please visit the new member area and introduce yourself and your car:

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 07-21-2016, 06:36 AM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just for Information

Have had to deal with these before and only just picked up this question so here goes:
The ND alternator fitted in the early xk8's sends a signal from the alternator to the cars electronics, the diode block contains a component I believe is called a quench diode and it sits underneath the voltage reg pack.
Not all cars use this technology and so there are different versions of the voltage reg pack and the most common seem to be the variety without it.
I recently had to replace a ND alternator on an xk8 and the newly rebuilt unit supplied had been well done but the car no charging light stayed on, a quick removal of the voltage reg pack showed the problem, the diode was completely missing.
If you turn the voltage regulator upside down there should be a large black square component fitted into the underside. I have not been able to distinguish differing part nos but will re post if I find anything.
PS beware of cheaply rebuilt alternators, I've had to dismantle a few and repair them correctly and some of the work is shockingly bad.
Happy days

The following 6 users liked this post by OldSpanner:
1951sms (04-11-2021), JagV8 (07-22-2016), Johnken (07-21-2016), michaelh (07-21-2016), RJ237 (07-21-2016), rwilcoxen (07-24-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-06-2016, 05:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like many of you, I too had issues with my alternator. I recently purchased a rebuilt alternator due to the battery not charging light and the voltmeter light on. after installing it , nothing changed so, I went about trying to find the problem. but, to no avail could I find anything wrong. so, I put a new voltage regulator and brush set on my old one and had both of them tested. low and behold, the rebuilt was no good the diodes were burnt up but the original worked great. got home and installed and no more light and 14 volt output. try that before buying another alternator.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the alternator ground?

Originally Posted by Thermo
Icyoung, open up the hood and trunk of your car. Connect a multimeter across the battery posts (engine turned off). Are you getting 12.6 VDC? If no, place the battery on a charger and get it up to 12.6 VDC. If yes, leaving the multimeter connected, start the car. Does the multimeter jump up to a voltage above 13.0 VDC? If yes, then it appears your problem is with your "battery" light on the dash, write me and I will give you some more checks to do. If no, move around to under the hood of your car and locate the alternator. Coming out of the alternator will be a small wire that is a white wire with a purple stripe on it. Place the red lead from the multimeter on this wire and the black multimeter lead to chassis ground. Are you getting above 12.0 VDC on this wire? If no, then check fuse #15 in the passenger side fuse box. If this fuse is good, then you have a wiring problem between the fuse box and the alternator. If you are getting 12 VDC on the white/purple wire, then verify that you are getting great than 13.0 VDC on the main terminal leaving the alternator. If you are getting more than 13.0 VDC on the main terminal, then you have a bad wire between the alternator and the starter. If you are not getting more than 13.0 VDC, you have a bad alternator.

It is possible that the wiring at the plug for the alternator is bad and can be giving you grief. So, before you replace the alternator, make sure to inspect the plug and verify no corrosion.
Where is the alternator ground?