XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big petrol leak and running rich

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 02:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Big petrol leak and running rich

Hi I,m new to the forum. I have a 2002 XK8 convertible 4.2 with 36500 miles. After not using the car for many months, I put some fuel in as it was a bit low, to start using it again. On the way back from the fuel station, I noticed smoke coming from engine compartment and that there was a big trail of fuel on my quite long driveway. Stopped the engine quickly! My Jag mechanic thinks it is one of the injectors sticking open and dumping a load of fuel straight through. the car starts, and runs for a while before going into limp mode. It,s running too rich. Has anyone else experienced this at all? We,re looking for replacement injector rails if anyone knows where we can find one I would be very grateful.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Sounds like an actual leak in the engine bay - should be findable.

Scrappies (wreckers/breakers) should have cars for parts... Eurojag maybe.

The following users liked this post:
ajagger (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 03:22 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Welcome to the forum ajagger,

That was a very lucky escape - for you, the car and the house.

I can see a sticking injector over fueling but not being a reason for a major fuel leak. Provided the fuel rail is not obviously damaged I'd first suspect failed injector O-rings, especially after the vehicle had been unused for many months.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
ajagger (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 04:08 AM

Thanks guys, advice much appreciated

Old 10-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts

Something I've learned from this forum is that the link pipe across the front of the engine between the injector rails can crack, it's only plastic and gets brittle with heat. It's not easy to see as it's also covered in a nice rubber pipe for protection, which effectively covers up any crack from view.

Can I just add a 'please go carefully' with this... I'm always very nervous of petrol problems, having seen the results of a petrol leak on board a boat that resulted in a self extinguishing moment when the remaining keel section and engine went to the bottom.

I'm sure there will be other options and ideas of what to look for along very soon too...

Old 10-20-2016, 06:52 AM

Thanks very much for that. The mechanic I use was head mechanic at main jag dealers and is really good so I would think he's checked that but will pass this in just in case as he is a bit perplexed! Don't worry both he and I are being very careful. I think I was quite lucky as it could have gone badly wrong! Thanks for your input