XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bittersweet 1000 mi. roadtrip in 24 hrs. last weekend- flawless at 143k!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:38 AM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Bittersweet 1000 mi. roadtrip in 24 hrs. last weekend- flawless at 143k!

I've got to get to the coast and back in a bit over 24 hrs. I was originally planning on taking the Audi S8, but it has an annoying tire pressure issue at the passenger-front that Discount Tire can't even figure out somehow, and the power steering pump is going out. And it's dirty at the moment from recent rains. An about-face, and the XKR is now on deck. Pop the trunk.

Just a bit of good news for all the high mileage runners out there. I took a bittersweet trip last weekend from Dallas to Corpus Christi with a jaunt west of Austin to see and pick up one of my sisters for the trip midway. The bitter part was for a funeral for my grandmother, but after a long bout with Alzheimer's and laid to rest next to her husband after 25 years - my 'Papa' - it was a sweet day remembering and enjoying family and life really. Sorry, enough of that for here... I took the XKR well out of my comfort zone of the last few years around town here, 10x farther than I had driven her before.

Friday
Sparing the funeral details, I left my ranch outside of Dallas last Friday morning and picked up my sister west of Austin around lunch. It was a good thing this was a short trip and we traveled light, as this was the biggest trip I had taken this car on and the trunk was 60% full of recovery gear just in case! Turns out the backseat is perfect for duffelbags and such. With both seats moved all the way to the back, there was plenty of room- I didn't even have to jab her and say, 'stop touching me! Mommmm!' this time, because we've been adults for awhile now. After picking up the 130 toll road around Austin and being able to set the cruise at 90mph comfortably, I was able to do the same thing due to traffic conditions on I-37! No complaints here... Uneventful trip in record time. Events that evening on arrival and was already dressed to go, talked with much extended family and friends long into the evening, but followed by well needed pizzas, beers, and some scotch back at the hotel, just as Papa would have had it. Glenlivet, natch.

Saturday
Oh, I'm reading at the service this morning... right. Luckily I turned in early last night actually. Don the suit, collect my sister in the lobby, and head over to the church. "A reading from the book of Wisdom..." A beautiful service and beautiful stories after. And then a big family lunch following all the sad stuff at my grandmother's favorite Mexican restaurant complete with a frozen margarita pitcher. Didn't partake much in that, as the sis and I set out straight afterwards to take her back to Austin and me home, but not before a calm cruise with the top down along Ocean Ave. soaking up the sun and beach vibes with some chilled tunes for a bit of cheerfulness after a tough morning and remembering what life is about. Instantly glad I brought the Jag. Just perfect. We got back to where I-37 started, put the top back up, and pressed on to 90mph with a few spurts up to 100. Unfortunately, there were a few too many Sunday drivers out closer-in to San Antonio and the high-beams had to activate for some left-lane idiots taking a week to pass anything. Sister was partially annoyed and partially unaware at all of this from behind her Kindle between conversations- I guess the suspension is still noticeably comfortable. Dropped her off late that afternoon, took a rather challenging rock-filled 1 mi. detour off-road to the kitschy Jester King Brewery nearby to pick up a few bottles of interesting beers (taking my time navigating up the hill while being passed by hipsters in Outbacks), got a bite to eat, then headed back down the hill and to Dallas arriving before midnight. Light traffic, clear sailing.

Anyway, good ~1000 mi. roadtrip and no issues. No CELs, no hiccups, an unplanned pleasant drive along the seaside with the top down, good time spent with family, and back home little more than 24 hrs. later. Job done! This car continues to amaze at 143k. miles now. While I usually prefer to be in something larger for more frequent commuting and roadtrips at speed for defensive purposes, the XKR is a wonderful occasional pleasure that in good maintenance intervals is a trustworthy companion for stints far outside of town. The next trip planned is to take the wife for a weekend of touring wineries in the Texas hill country next year...

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (04-29-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing. Great looking car you've got. Good to hear that you you took it out on the road. They are meant to be driven and enjoyed.

Sentinelist (04-28-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 06:08 AM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts

My sympathy on your loss, and thanks for letting us know a good news story with your car. I have always liked to do long road trips and for many years had a Gold Wing on which I put 270,000 miles to all parts of North America. That has been replaced with the 2004 XK8 as years, resouces and a wife put new demands on touring comfort. I had 2, 4000 mile road trips, trouble free with my 2004 last year and am planning the same this year. If we are not careful we will spoil the Jaguar reliabliity myth that keeps the prices of our supercars affordable.

Last edited by daro31; 04-27-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Sentinelist (04-28-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 07:33 AM
Received 4,179 Likes on 3,642 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Nice to hear the Jag handled flawlessly!

Sentinelist (04-28-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 07:42 AM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

Sorry to read about the reason for the trip but good to hear the XKR completed it without incident.

Graham

Sentinelist (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Seems the trip was cathartic for you.

I am impressed that you could keep the cruise on that speed for the trip. My trips to San Antonio, Austin & Houston from Dallas never seem to work out that way. On the rare times I can pick up some speed, SWMBO decides to start paying attention and makes me slow down.

Closing in on 142k for me, and still not afraid to take the blue cat anywhere.

Sentinelist (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 11:36 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks, all- cathartic indeed. Ideally I would have had more time to sit on the beach with a boat drink, but next time. If anything, after seeing the capability of this car at such far stretches, I want to add a similar coupe even more. Alas, I'm pulling the trigger on adding another Z71 Suburban for my own use this week instead to start commuting in more vs. my other two cars. Need something 'higher up' with more crash protection. Too many horrible head-on collisions and potential thereof on the two-lanes that surround my property for a few miles lately that are unavoidable. On-topic I guess. Risk mitigation, self-preservation... Drive carefully, folks.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:23 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

The wife and I love to go on tours when we can. Top down is preferable. I have had a restricted performance from a MAfs and last fall one Coil in Cap packed it in. Minor problems indeed. I do not worry about making it anywhere with my Jag. I know **** can happen so I have CAA in case. Now I need it to rain a bit to clean off any residual salt put on the roads so I can get out and about with her.

Vermont