XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bonnet Dented, Because I Am A Dumbass

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by LivewireRacing
Ah, yes. I had a Sunset Red 94 VDP many years ago. Except for the fact that I couldn't sit up straight in it, one of my favorite cars.
Yes, it definitely dates from Jag's 'Long & Low' heyday. In fact, it sits just a tad *lower* than my XK8 (sorry for crappy cellphone photo).

Bonnet Dented, Because I Am A Dumbass-img_0008.jpg

Old 11-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I always liked that scalloped chrome trim on the rear.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:22 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulCarr
When I got my (immaculate) Clio RS I forgot that it didn't have reversing sensors - stuck it in reverse outside the vets and backed up waiting for the bleeps that never came, but it did go "crunch" when it hit the low wall behind me. One expensive mistake.
This is definitely the issue with reversing sensors. You get used to them. If you have more than one car, and one or more do not have them, woe unto you if you forget which car you're backing up.

The following users liked this post:
LivewireRacing (11-10-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I did the same to my XJS years ago when I was doing a tune up and left the hood up overnight. Hey, the struts has supported it all day so no need to put a safety bar in place. The next morning the hood was down and I had a nice dimple to remind me for the rest of the cars life.
I am certain this is why whiskey was invented!

Old 11-10-2014, 02:27 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

My bonnet shocks are weak(but i didn't know this), doing my valve covers, I have a large gash and imprint of the bonnet latch on my head with missing hair to treat the wound!

Then the ratchet I was holding hit the fender, and bam nice scratch there!

Old 11-10-2014, 03:27 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsden
This is definitely the issue with reversing sensors. You get used to them. If you have more than one car, and one or more do not have them, woe unto you if you forget which car you're backing up.
Yep - I'd just quit IBM and handed back my company car which had sensors. Went and bought the Clio and it never crossed my mind to ask if it had them... :-(

Old 11-11-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by aode06
My bonnet shocks are weak(but i didn't know this), doing my valve covers, I have a large gash and imprint of the bonnet latch on my head with missing hair to treat the wound!

Then the ratchet I was holding hit the fender, and bam nice scratch there!

My first thoughts: Better a scalp wound than damaged sheet metal. Of course, you completed the task by denting the fender. Strong work on the double fail.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

If only the sheet metal would heal instead of the scalp wound.
No, wait a minute, I'm not *that* crazy

LivewireRacing (11-28-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done some stupid things, but they were all pretty minor, so no need to mention them here.
HOWEVER......One of the guys in our local Horseless Carriage Club was big into fire engines, and had deep pockets, too.
He located the first combination pumper and chemical truck made by Peter Piersch (sp?) back in the 1930's. It was fabulous, in perfect condition, and came with every original part and tool, and all the orginal equipment. I guess he had been badgering the former owner over a period of 20 years or so, and the guy finally told him to drop by and pick it up and take it home. This was in the early 70's
He drives there with a big truck and trailer, loads this magnificent fire engine, and starts out for home.
Within 200 feet of leaving the guy's garage, the hitch broke on the trailer. The chains tore out, and the fire truck and trailer overturned. Then they rolled, chained together, 6 times down the side of the hill, to the bottom. He coasted to a stop by the side of the road, watching this beautiful machine get pounded to pieces.
Talk about heartbreaking!
He still has the fire engine, in his huge garage, and he swears one day he will fix everything and put it back together. He is now in his 70's, and I don't think he will live long enough for that.
At least he is living proof that you can laugh about stuff years later, because as he tells it, it is a really funny story, but I am sure at the time it was a real tragedy!
He has enough old cars that for him, it is just one story amoung hundreds, but it gave me a real taste for what true trouble is.

The following 2 users liked this post by XK8Troll:
LivewireRacing (11-28-2014), PaulCarr (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

That is one of the saddest stories I've ever read.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Stupidest thing I've done so far was with my XK8. It was on the trip home from Atlanta where I bought it, and I needed to stop for gas.

Keep in mind I was used to only driving my Land Rover at the time.. and approach angles on an LR3 and XK8 and very different, in case you didn't know.

Mine is an '05, so it has the revised front bumper that further reduces ground clearance.

Pulled into the gas station too fast, at the wrong angle, and did a number on the bumper.. scuffed it badly underneath and also on the front (but no cracks, fortunately). Buffing helped to minimize it, but its still noticeable.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

When I lived in Phoenix in the 70's I took a friend to a used car dealer where he bought a white '67 XKE Roadster. He drove it home and parked it up his steep driveway and went in to get his wife and kids to show it off. Well he left it in neutral and the parking brake didn't hold and it rolled down the driveway, crossed the street without hitting anything, went through a low guardrail and down an embankment across from his house. Rolled several times and was totaled. Only got to drive it that one time. He always made it sound funny when he told the story...

Dave

Old 04-13-2015, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Tip for the DIYers

It's that time again for those of us in the Northern climates to bring out our Jaguars and if you did your due diligence you placed a number of mouse traps under your Jag to fend off those nasty critters that want to chew your car to bits, good for you.

I went out this morning to change the oil and do a shake down run. I took a broom and brushed the mouse traps out from under the car before crawling under it. I was anxious to get started so I didn't count the traps I brushed out.

Here's the tip: Count the mouse traps, they come in packs of two so if find 5 there's one more under there somewhere.

I found the last one, right next to my oil filter wrench. Ouch!

Old 04-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

edit: see my post on gas filter ! dah

Last edited by jamdmyers; 04-13-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Went camping on the beach of The Gulf of Mexico in my Toyota truck. I had a lightbulb just like the ones in your house, but it was 12V DC current. I put some alligator clips on the end of an extension cord and used to hook them to the battery and use that light at night instead of one of those Coleman lanterns. It works a lot better in the strong wind and doesn't get so hot. I left the hood open just a bit so the clips would fit. Just about bedtime a big gust of wind came along, lifted the hood and then dropped it. There was about a two or three second light show and when I went over the battery had burned a crescent shaped hole in the hood. No, the truck wouldn't start and I had driven three hours to get there. I went down the beach and found someone to come over and give me a jump start. I let the truck run all night, fished in the morning and drove home. New battery and a hole in the hood..... and a bunch of fish.

LivewireRacing (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin D

Went camping on the beach of The Gulf of Mexico in my Toyota truck. I had a lightbulb just like the ones in your house, but it was 12V DC current. I put some alligator clips on the end of an extension cord and used to hook them to the battery and use that light at night instead of one of those Coleman lanterns. It works a lot better in the strong wind and doesn't get so hot. I left the hood open just a bit so the clips would fit. Just about bedtime a big gust of wind came along, lifted the hood and then dropped it. There was about a two or three second light show and when I went over the battery had burned a crescent shaped hole in the hood. No, the truck wouldn't start and I had driven three hours to get there. I went down the beach and found someone to come over and give me a jump start. I let the truck run all night, fished in the morning and drove home. New battery and a hole in the hood..... and a bunch of fish.
Thanks for the story. Excellent imagery. The addition of the arc welding mod to the hood makes it extra special.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Nothing like letting the bi-fold hangar door come down across the bonnet of your X300 right across the leaper. $1,100 later good as new.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by EZDriver
Nothing like letting the bi-fold hangar door come down across the bonnet of your X300 right across the leaper. $1,100 later good as new.
Thanks for your share. That makes this tiny dent seem nearly insignificant.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

This turns out to be a "Dumbass" sharing moments. I got a few to throw in...Both jobs are to my Saab:

1. A simple brake job: I mixed up my "Righty tighty lefty loosey" I yanked a caliper bolt using my breaker bar and snap the bolt in two ..the rest of the day was spent trying to get that bolt out from the caliper bracket.

2. Another similar dumbass moment was to a spark plug...plugs seized so I use my breaker bar...same thing happened, snapped the plugs leaving half of it in the engine... again the rest of the day was spent carefully drilling the plug and using the extractor.

All my wife heard was...screaming all kinds of profanity!

I guess we all live and learn....the joy of turning your own wrench...you can't blame it on anyone but yourself

Planned job in the XK:

1. replace front end bushings.
2. Replace strut mount and upgrade spring (Mina lowering)
3. Transmission fluid (I maybe end up paying a shop to do this)

Old 05-09-2016, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

This year's dumbass moment:

When searching for an electrical short always remove your watch. Note the burns on both sides of the watch band as I tried to weld the watch to my wrist.

Good news, I found the short. But I wish my left eye would stop twitching.

Attached Thumbnails Bonnet Dented, Because I Am A Dumbass-img_20160509_112319.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Fulton:
Jag#4 (05-09-2016), Jon89 (05-09-2016)

Quick Reply: Bonnet Dented, Because I Am A Dumbass