Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top latch hydraulic problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:19 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Dennis not every roof issue is posted on this forum to read. Are you saying that you do not believe me?

Old 01-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Oh, fergawdsake.

No, Gus, I'm not saying any such thing. You've seen info about control valve failures, yes? I have not. I'd like to though, as it might change my mind on how reliable I think the valves are. Nothing to do with you.

Deep breaths.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:07 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Got the Green Shower but the top is up and locked. I know I can unlock it with the allen wrench, and use the pressure relief valve to manually put it down, but the notes all say don't lower the top manually as there may be a problem. Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:38 PM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

The rams operate on an over centre catch in the hood frame - if lowering the roof manually you must first unlock the over centre mechanism or else the hood frame will be damaged. If you search the forum you will find a diagram to illustrate how the frame works. You will also need to open the petcock on the side of the pump prior to lowering.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (07-05-2017)
Old 10-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks .

Old 10-26-2015, 06:16 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Just know that when you put the roof back up you will need to lock the roof rams over center mechanism in order to close the rear quarter windows. You could put the windows up by jumping out the relays but that is risky. The over center locking is to prevent the roof from bouncing on the windows as you are driving and that would not be good for the windows or the linkage for them.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (07-05-2017)
Old 11-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

So has anyone had the green shower WITHOUT operating the top? I had the fluid dribbling out in the summer during one of those triple digit summer days in Cali while just driving along minding my own business. Just about to take it in for the repair job and was wondering if the fact that the top was not being operated at the time pointed more towards latch or lines or doesn't mean anything?.....
Thanks,
Alan

Old 11-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

It could be either one and will not know until you open up the header and look. I am sure a roof operation contributed to the problem you just did not know it then.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 05-27-2016, 07:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I realize this thread is old and probably tired. I just got the green shower by my left foot under the fuse panel. I suppose my car had a splice? Are we still recommending the hoses from Top Hydrolics? Thanks, David.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:25 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Yes.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Originally Posted by Dnjaa
I realize this thread is old and probably tired. I just got the green shower by my left foot under the fuse panel. I suppose my car had a splice? Are we still recommending the hoses from Top Hydrolics? Thanks, David.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:28 AM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Dnjaa
That's where I got mine from - I changed all six. They are Kevlar reinforced and will withstand much higher pressure than the Jaguar parts. Their hoses are a smaller external diameter than the originals so potentially a little easier to fit. I found Top Hydraulics answered any queries quickly so good customer service as well.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great, thanks guys, David.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:20 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My 2003 XKR has not had the green surge problem yet. I am not sure if the previous owner replaced the hoses It looks like some work was done in the latch area. The hose in my car are made by Parker Polyflex hose and has 363 and are 1/8 inch. Is this the original hose or a replacement. If they are replacements are they any good or will they fail?? I have the resistor fix installed.

Bill

Old 07-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Those are the original type hoses. They are not the most reliable components in the car, but if you make life as easy on them as you can you have a fighting chance for them to survive as long as you own the car.

My 03's hoses are original. I also ran an 01 through 2014 with original hoses.

To eliminate any chance of a failure you would need to replace them with one of the "2nd gen" aftermarket hose sets now available.

Last edited by Dennis07; 07-03-2016 at 03:22 PM. Reason: completeness
Old 07-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

I have been very lucky today!

Last week my car failed the yearly car checks, as the ventilation hole (foot rests almost gone) where a tad too big on both sides. Knew it was, but never took the time to fix it, so now I had to do it within 2 weeks.

Friday I got my car back from the welders, and today I started to get all the floor lines etc back in.

As my convertible roof has been used a lot in the summer, I considered to replace the hydraulic hoses as a precaution (bought 5 years ago), even though I have the pressure relief kit already for many years as well.

I actually choose not to do it, and expected it would last much longer and take my chances

Well today I started painting the new foot wells, and opened the roof for it.

Guess what happened next ;-)

After a little while I got the green shower, at the typical place everyone had theirs go (connector to the latch).

So my luck that I not only had already the new hoses (the new shiny hoses in the picture), but also that the car was apart already.

Herewith I want to thank Gus again for his work, as I bought the hoses he recommended back then!

Unfortunately the pressure relief valve is not a guarantee, but I am very sure my original hoses lasted much longer for it, and I have left it in place now as well.

Attached Thumbnails  Convertible top latch hydraulic problem-img_5675.jpg    Convertible top latch hydraulic problem-img_5691.jpg    Convertible top latch hydraulic problem-img_5694.jpg  
Old 08-08-2016, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sealing the pressure fitting leak

Hi everybody.
First I want to express my appreciation to the members of the forum for the wealth of information shared on the site and for the very friendly and helpful tone of the conversation. This is very much appreciated.
I am a happy owner of a 1999 Jaguar XK8 (royal blue on oatmeal – a real beauty). Even my wife, who never wears blue (any colour as long as it is black or grey), complements the car every time we speak about it.
Now to my issue.
On one of the hydraulic hoses, a PO installed the original repair kit that used a pressure fitting on the remaining part of the old hose. The fitting goes on top of the hose’s outer skin, but by now, the outer skin of the old hose disintegrated, so we are having a leak. It is not horrible, but somewhat annoying. I have to add Pentosin into the pomp occasionally and wrap a sponge around the leak to collect the hydraulic fluid as it is pushed out (this way it does not drip on my left foot).
I know that the right way to fix this problem is to replace the full cable, but I hate the idea of having to disassemble the better part of the vehicle in order to do it.
So, I wonder whether anyone knows of a way to seal the gap between the “naked” hose and the outer part of the pressure fitting, for example by using epoxy or some other such method.
I understand such remedy is not likely to be permanent, but if it buys me another season of top down motoring, I will be a happy camper.
Thank you in advance.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I installed the repair kit in a similar hope to keep from ripping out the interior but neither Jaguar nor the creative folks here have reported any other solution than replacing the hoses. Unfortunately, my repair issues were resolved by a 30 year old Jeep that totaled the Jaguar.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi test point, thank you for your response and my condolences for your loss.
i guess i will just have to live with this leak (I will just treat it as a low cost pressure relief valve .

Best regards

Old 07-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Hello hleach.

I too have a convertible top hydraulic hose issue.

You said that you were able to identify a Jaguar hose repair kit for the top latch.

Did your research identify a Jaguar hose repair kit for the top latch leak at the pump?

Very respectfully, Bob G.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:32 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

The hose splice kit that was developed by Jaguar for this type of application was a failure and is no longer available.

Originally Posted by Robert Grisar
Hello hleach.

I too have a convertible top hydraulic hose issue.

You said that you were able to identify a Jaguar hose repair kit for the top latch.

Did your research identify a Jaguar hose repair kit for the top latch leak at the pump?

Very respectfully, Bob G.

Quick Reply: Convertible top latch hydraulic problem