XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead boot lid button

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

The same thing will happen where ever the wire becomes fatigued, at any hinge point. If your window suddenly stops operating, or a speaker stops working, there is a better chance of finding a broken wire at a hinge point, than a failed component. It will also save you considerable pain, messing around inside a door.

It happened more frequently on the older high line Jags, because Ford hadn't taught Jaguar the use of relays yet, and smaller lower amperage motors were not yet being used.

I remember the size of the cables going from a window switch, in an XJS, and it surprised me, because the Audi's of the same vintage had wires a third of the size. The Germans were relay monsters, and had them hidden all over their cars, so there is overkill on this subject also........Nice post......Mike

Old 09-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Trunk lid & License plate light!!

I had the same problem with the trunk lid switch but noticed something else! The light for the license plate was not working. Guess what? That wire is in the same wire bundle (trunk lead link harness) as the trunk lid button. I had to solder both of them during the fix. Everything works great....right now....!

Old 06-03-2018, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Fixed my boot lid release on my XF - 2 wires were broken and another 3 needed fixing

Old 03-25-2019, 08:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks - Fixed my XF 2.7 in UK - 1 cable inside the flexible conduit that goes through from the boot lid to the car was broken - just threaded a new cable through and snipped off the cable each end where it joins the plugs and hoorah - it fixed 2 things at once, my boot switch and my number plate lights - must have been an earth cable perhaps? Very happy with this simple repair. Thanks to all who contributed.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar XF 2010

On lines of what you folks are talking about I am going through the same issue with my XF 2010, the physical key ( inside the fob) is able to open the trunk however the Fob by itself is not- i do not even get the beep sound, nor does the button left below of my steering wheel open the trunk, do you think my car could also be having a wiring issue or is it a fuse gone bad? does anyone know how to check the fuse for this problem?
thanks in advance for your help

Old 07-29-2019, 05:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie2019
On lines of what you folks are talking about I am going through the same issue with my XF 2010, the physical key ( inside the fob) is able to open the trunk however the Fob by itself is not- i do not even get the beep sound, nor does the button left below of my steering wheel open the trunk, do you think my car could also be having a wiring issue or is it a fuse gone bad? does anyone know how to check the fuse for this problem?
thanks in advance for your help
Hi,
On mine the button on the boot stopped working but the fob button and internal release button worked, just not the one on the boot itself. That said, if the doors are opening ok with the central locking then it likely is a similar problem, just a different wire to mine that has broken as it has to receive its power from the same clump of wires. I don't believe it has a separate fuse from the rest of the central lock system, so if thats working then investigate power received at the lock. Fortunately its all a very simple task, if its that clump of wires..

The following users liked this post:
Eddie2019 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 08:20 PM

The challenge is that since the car does not recognize the truck as closed it does not let me lock the car and i have to be very careful of parking in public parking lots

Old 07-30-2019, 07:21 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Don't slam the boot

Originally Posted by jhaguar
Hi,
On mine the button on the boot stopped working but the fob button and internal release button worked, just not the one on the boot itself. That said, if the doors are opening ok with the central locking then it likely is a similar problem, just a different wire to mine that has broken as it has to receive its power from the same clump of wires. I don't believe it has a separate fuse from the rest of the central lock system, so if thats working then investigate power received at the lock. Fortunately its all a very simple task, if its that clump of wires..
Appears to be a sharp edge inside the boot frame where the wires pass that eventually shears these wires in 2 after a while of slamming the trunk. After you repair the break, not a bad idea to pad that wire section with plenty of electrical tape or whatever you think best before pulling the harness back inside the boot frame. Not something you can get to inside to file down very easily. Most trunks need slamming a little, but sure not on the XK's. Caught my wife slamming mine after she took out her packages. Hard habit to break.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

I have the same problem as Jhaguar. Everything works except the button on the trunk. I think I will start tracing from there.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:43 PM

Opened the truck today, at this point in time trunk lid switch, the fob button and internal release button are the once not working the only way to open the truck is to use the Physical key inside the fob. working on the problem still

Old 01-02-2020, 11:55 PM
Default You are damn right :)

Originally Posted by Marc
Appears to be a sharp edge inside the boot frame where the wires pass that eventually shears these wires in 2 after a while of slamming the trunk. After you repair the break, not a bad idea to pad that wire section with plenty of electrical tape or whatever you think best before pulling the harness back inside the boot frame. Not something you can get to inside to file down very easily. Most trunks need slamming a little, but sure not on the XK's. Caught my wife slamming mine after she took out her packages. Hard habit to break.
It was the same problem, the sharp edge had cut the wire , fixed it finallly thanks

Marc (02-14-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 924 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie2019
It was the same problem, the sharp edge had cut the wire , fixed it finallly thanks
Originally Posted by Marc
Didn't see this thread until now. Had the wiring problem several months back. Finally located the break, fixed it, and added a thick, sacrificial layer of adhesive heat shrink. Unfortunately, the rear has new struts, and closing the boot/trunk now requires substantial commitment/velocity. My wife now can barely close it. Unclear if she would drive with it open.

Marc (02-14-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

ALL over this... Perfect timing

Old 02-13-2020, 05:42 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Fantastic thread, same problem here and repaired nicely!

DavidYau (02-13-2020)
Old 05-17-2022, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
After stripping off the plinth and getting access to the button I discovered that it was actually working, so I set about the wiring harness that links the boot lid to the car. After a bit more testing with the multimeter I was able to isolate the broken wire in the harness.

The boot lid harness has a connector at the bottom right of the lid as you look at it from behind the car with the boot open. You need to strip back the lining to get access, the connector is actually tucked into the hole that the cable goes into but it can easily be pulled out and disconnected.

To get to the other end I pulled the boot liner on the back surface forwards and the side surface downwards, you then need to disconnect this connector, the part of the connector attached to the wiring that needs to come out needed to be pulled out with pliers as it has a slide on attachment to the car.

The grommets can then be pulled out and the harness extracted, the holes are bug enough for the connectors to go through.

I had planned to use the old wire to pull through the new one but it had completely snapped. I stripped back the insulating tape from either end of the flexible conduit and was able to push a new cable all the way through with out any real problem.

Both ends were them soldered together and covered in heat shrink and then taped back up with insulating tape.

The cable was then put back in the car, I used a bit of 3in1 oil on the grommets to get them back in place and the boot/lid lining replaced, job done!
Thanks everyone for the pictures and the description of the problem. This was my exact problem as well (2 broken wires within the harness). Easy remove the harness from the car, and fix it on the bench with a soldering iron. I added a little extra wire to each run (maybe it won't make a difference). However, now the 3rd brake light is working as normal. Greatly appreciate the tips regarding where to look. Thanks everyone.