XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Programming 98 XK8 Transponder Key? (Not the key fob)

Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default DIY Programming 98 XK8 Transponder Key? (Not the key fob)

I have a 1998 XK8 project car that I bought. I got it running and everything looks and sounds good. But I can only get it running 1 out of 100 tries when turning the key in the ignition, and now, it is not cranking or attempting to start at all. I have a fresh battery, all systems checkout ok. I have AutoEnginuity scanner with Jaguar expansion. The only code that I see is P1260 - Security related. I suspect that the transponder key may be at fault and it is the ONLY key that I have. When I turn key, all systems are ready to go, radio works, system self checks. I have tried hard reset with battery to no avail.

I am trying to avoid dealer. I see that I can get a tibbe key cut from online shops. Now, the programming of the transponder key (Not the key fob) appears to be the last item that I need. Does anyone know if I was to purchase something like a ST300 (found on google) Key Programmer, if it would work on a new transponder Jaguar Tibbe key that I would need to have cut?

Or, does anyone know where I might get a key cut + programmed, without my car present? (I don't want to have car towed to dealer). I was hoping that VIN and proof of ownership, and existing key would be good enough??

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by MR. CJ
Or, does anyone know where I might get a key cut + programmed, without my car present? (I don't want to have car towed to dealer). I was hoping that VIN and proof of ownership, and existing key would be good enough??

Any thoughts? Thanks!
All you should need is VIN and proof of ownership to get a key cut or shipped in at every dealer I've ever been to. I just went through this with my Audi and all they required was to bring the title and registration. Same for when I got keys for Volvos and Mercedes.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

In the U.S. AFAIK this must be done by a dealer. In the U.K. I have heard there are a few locksmiths that have the equipment to do it.

The issue is the equipment to program the tranponder key, the ability to just cut the Tibbe key is more commonly available.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 10-26-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

All stated in the two posts above is wrong info!
Just get the dealer out. They come over to your place with a laptop and do the programming in situe. It has to happen on the car. Should be less then a hundred bucks. So not to bad after all.

Do not try to be too tight on the money with sources after market keys. You have to let them cut and on top, the dealer has to program the key anyway, which will be more expensive at the end

Last edited by Jochem00; 10-26-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are locksmiths who are equipped to cut and program keys. Here's an example of one in my area who will. He quoted me $149 for the key and the progamming. The key is an aftermarket key and not the one with the Jaguar emblem.
Milwaukee Jaguar Key, Jaguar Keys, Keys Cut and Programmed,

Old 10-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by c macfly
There are locksmiths who are equipped to cut and program keys. Here's an example of one in my area who will. He quoted me $149 for the key and the progamming. The key is an aftermarket key and not the one with the Jaguar emblem.
Milwaukee Jaguar Key, Jaguar Keys, Keys Cut and Programmed,
Wow. that is great...I have not run across many with the right equipment. I wonder if it would be possible to do without the car, just by providing proof of ownership?

Old 10-26-2011, 02:56 PM

Quick update: I have contacted my local dealer and it is about $215 to have one key cut and programmed to my 98 XK8 (Programming is $125 + Key cut $80 + tax). This is not including the fee of approx. $100 that I would need to tow the car there. I called 10 local (and not so local) locksmiths who can not program such transponder keys.

I went to the Jag dealer today and had a key cut from the VIN code (with proof of ownership) for $65 + $15 key lookup. At least now I have the key code for future reference. I am still curious about the various key programming devices available, specifically the T-300 that indicates that it can program Jaguar keys (and many others). It is about $185 for the key programmer. I have considered purchasing to try it out because I would be spending more than that for the dealer to program just one key, and it could be a valuable tool in the future for many other cars (and save a lot of money).

After some research I found out that the the Jaguar 98 XK8 key contains a T5 - Megamos transponder chip, so that means this chipset is not unique to only the Jaguar IDS dealer scanner, so I figure there must be a key programmer out there that one can purchase to program such keys.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:20 PM

Because you guys always go oon the cheap, the jag dealer is going to charge you twice. Once for the key and once for programming the car to accept the keys.

My experience is that when i order a new key, i just pay for the key and cutting, and they programming was done for free!

Make sure all the keys are available during the programming session as well to not find out that one of the keysat home is not working anymore,

Old 10-26-2011, 03:37 PM

I notice that you are in Monaco, so Jaguar service procedures may differ from the U.S. I actually had inquired about the pricing of cutting and programming at my local dealer here in the U.S., and they cleared up the matter for me:
The two unique actions of "cutting" and "programming" are done by two separate Jaguar dealer departments, Parts Dept. and Service Dept. respectively. So the fees would not change if you had a key cut $80, then programmed the same day, or later ($125 "programming" fee). Either way, (at the dealer that I went to), it is around $200+ for one key cut + program.

I am still researching what type of programming tools are available for do it yourself key programming as the dealer is not always the only option. I also have other cars that I own now, or may own in the future, that could use such a tool.

Originally Posted by Jochem00
Because you guys always go oon the cheap, the jag dealer is going to charge you twice. Once for the key and once for programming the car to accept the keys.

My experience is that when i order a new key, i just pay for the key and cutting, and they programming was done for free!

Make sure all the keys are available during the programming session as well to not find out that one of the keysat home is not working anymore,

Old 10-26-2011, 03:52 PM

After much research, I do not believe that it is possible to program a Jaguar transponder key without a direct connection to the vehicles transponder/security unit (98-99 transponder keys "I think" may be able to be programmed away from vehicle.) I have not yet thrown out the option of having a key and transponder programmed in a test platform (or another car) and subsequently installed back in car. I would suspect that the modules have a unique code that is "synched" when the programming process is performed.

I would also suspect that this type of security system has prevented more registered owners from starting their cars than it had prevented thieves from stealing such cars.

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Wow. that is great...I have not run across many with the right equipment. I wonder if it would be possible to do without the car, just by providing proof of ownership?

Old 10-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a guy who will cut and program your xk8 key away from the car as long as it is prior to 2000 model year. I think that most folks just give up and go to the dealer, but I'd think that if you have a 98-99 xk8, you might be able to program it yourself.
Jaguar Replacement Car Keys

Old 10-27-2011, 12:38 AM

Common Gys, who is ever going to send his (one and only) transponder key to a key cutter by mail!? if the keys get lost, then you've got a bigger problem and then for sure and rightly you get hammered by the jag dealer with an expensive bill.

@MR CJ, not much research was needed to find out that the programming has to be done at the car, as I already wrote earlier.

Be very carefull with messing with the keys your own because if you don't pair the keys with the car correctly, then what do you do?

I've often had small work done on my cars for free in the past (in Holland, France and even in the US) free of charge. resetting airbag lights, pairing keys, changing the battery while in for a service.

So what I try to say, is by trying to run the car in a cheap way doesn't always turn out to be cheapest or most economic way.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Jochem00, I would like to add, having a good relationship with your dealer's service department is important also. I never walk in on the defensive. When I bring my '07 x-type in for repairs, still under warranty, I always make small talk with the staff. A few jokes, plate of cookies at Xmas, AAA ball tickets etc also help. I'll wait for the car instead of taking a loaner. When I bring the '98 XK8 in for simple stuff many times its free. Lug nuts, Wheel badges, small fasteners. Discount wheel alignment after the discount period. Repair help over the phone. Some aftermarket parts replaced, ex. shocks. First place I heard about a weak battery causing window trouble and how to repair it. Even got a free key fob. You do catch more flies with sugar. Jack

Old 10-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

I hope you guys keep on researching the DIY aspect. Don't forget there are some of us that are over a hundred miles from a dealer. Taking the car there with a failed key to have it programmed can be darn near impossible.

EZDriver

Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 AM

I will definitely post more details of my attempt on my "do it yourself" key programming adventure. While it may not be easy, it should be something that can be done by us Jaguar owners ourselves. Just a matter of figuring out the steps involved.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Received 7,861 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I have no problem configuring the key transponders to Jaguars from 1998 to 2006 as I have WDS version 43 (Jaguars latest up to 2006)

Anyone can program keys with the WDS and the Jaguar software. There are Ford WDS units on eBay and lots of people have Ford, Jaguar and Aston Martin software CDs to load onto the PTU.

Step 1
Buy a WDS for $300 to $500

Step 2
Load the Jaguar software

Step 3
Configure modules, program keys, read all modules, watch real time data and clear codes etc.

If you buy another Hard Drive you can load Ford software on it and do the same thing with Ford cars.

Just a thought!!!

bob gauff

Old 11-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Key Program

I am in THAILAND and have a 2001 XJ8 with 1 key. The dealer is 600 miles round trip and wants $200 to program the key AFTER he "checks" the car (he did not sell it originally).

I have a key and it is cut and works but will not start the car. Some local guys have computers and devices for the MB and BMW but I think only need the Jag software. Does anyone have the software for a one shot deal (there are only 2 of these cars in the whole area)

I have a second remote with the advice of using the turn signal wand to program: does this method work without screwing up the original remote?

Thanks guys

Old 02-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Just going through my posts and I see I had not answered this one. It turned out, the only thing preventing my 98 XK8 from starting was the key programming. I think the statements from the dealer crossed many different channels before the message got to me that the car was not able to communicate with the dealer scan tool. The battery was replaced, 1 hour Jaguar dealer labor for key programming + new key, and the car started right up. No problems since, not even a battery drain. So, what could have been a big issues costing a lot of money turned out to be the key. Unfortunately, I only had one key that I got with the car, and that key lost its memory.

The DIY key programming with non-dealer tools that I found were not compatible. The programming has a unique incode/outcode encryption that makes it very difficult to just copy a key. Motorcarman's steps are correct. So, turns out, that for key programming, the dealer, for once, is actually the cheapest alternative in my case. One recommendation, always have two working keys on hand, this will save you a lot of trouble in the future.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I have no problem configuring the key transponders to Jaguars from 1998 to 2006 as I have WDS version 43 (Jaguars latest up to 2006)

Anyone can program keys with the WDS and the Jaguar software. There are Ford WDS units on eBay and lots of people have Ford, Jaguar and Aston Martin software CDs to load onto the PTU.

Step 1
Buy a WDS for $300 to $500

Step 2
Load the Jaguar software

Step 3
Configure modules, program keys, read all modules, watch real time data and clear codes etc.

If you buy another Hard Drive you can load Ford software on it and do the same thing with Ford cars.

Just a thought!!!

bob gauff
Where can you get a copy of the Jag software?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
have a similar issue, when we bought our Jag last year it came with all 3 keys, only one works.... Jag of El Paso wants stupid money to programme 2 keys... can understand the research for a cheaper fix!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Programming 98 XK8 Transponder Key? (Not the key fob)