XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Done with Mina Intake. Where to buy Cold-Air?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Miami XKR
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Done with Mina Intake. Where to buy Cold-Air?

Hello All,

I have been using the Mina Gallery Intake for about a year now. I have noticed that on hot days my car is losing power most likely due to the heat in the engine bay getting sucked in to the intake.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a full cold-air intake?

Thank you for your help, alex

The following users liked this post:
Shortcl (06-24-2022)
Old 12-17-2011, 10:12 PM
ecw
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the only option is building one yourself.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

This is the only one I am aware of:
Paramount Performance Ltd - Jaguar XK8 and XKR Engine Upgrades other than custom. I think it is actually somewhat of a generic BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox and filter though.

The factory box is actually a cold air intake...you might just consider using it with a K&N panel filter.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-18-2011 at 07:16 AM.
CorStevens (09-27-2017)
Old 12-18-2011, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

+1, the stock airbox is a cold air box and works fine with a K&N panel filter.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,258 Likes on 564 Posts

99% of the "cold air intakes" I see advertised are actually hot air intakes. A cone filter in the engine bay is just sucking in hot engine bay air. The intake on the XK8 takes in air from outside of the engine bay between the front left fender and the left "wall" of the engine bay. You can see where the actual intake point is by removing the front right wheel well liner. About the only way you'll get air that's any cooler would be to run a pipe up to the mouth in front of the radiator, but then you're going to have to deal with the friction from the extra length of pipe. Then engine is going to have a harder time sucking in the air unless you make the pipe much larger in diameter, and I don't know where you could actually fit the pipe.

Cliffs: The existing intake is about as cold as you're going to get without a lot of metal work.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

This is what I fit which is a CDA box, you dont have to have the induction pipe you can re-use your own....

This is then piped down to the front of the car

User 070620 (06-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default XKRacer

How do you have the induction piped up to the front and how did you mount it. Is it in the grill? Could you list the parts you used? Also were did you get the Polished Covers for the strut mounts? Clean touch and I like it.

Da Count

Trending Topics

Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Count_Damonee
How do you have the induction piped up to the front and how did you mount it. Is it in the grill? Could you list the parts you used? Also were did you get the Polished Covers for the strut mounts? Clean touch and I like it.
Da Count
1. XKRacer is the king of the XK.

2. Check out his website at www.paragondesignuk.com, and your questions will be answered. You will also be tempted to ship your car to England and be relieved of vast sums of money. But your car will be the best in town when you get it back.

3. XKRacer is the KING of the XK.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Coupe
1. XKRacer is the king of the XK.

2. Check out his website at www.paragondesignuk.com, and your questions will be answered. You will also be tempted to ship your car to England and be relieved of vast sums of money. But your car will be the best in town when you get it back.

3. XKRacer is the KING of the XK.

You make me blush

But Coupe is correct I make all the stuff you see myself, but to be fair I did get the coil pack covers made by someone else this time, just takes too much time.

You do need to remove some metal, like this

Name:  IMG_3651.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  66.7 KB

This is so the pipe clears as much as possible the wheel arch liner and the headlight, take a look through my photo albums, you will see plenty of XKs I have done there.

I am changing the location of my air box again to something similiar to avos and put my air box inside my front bumper, not sure if I will go enclosed of exposed, I will have to ponder that.

Some more bling to entice

Name:  IMG_3902.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  94.8 KB

Old 12-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I am changing the location of my air box again to something similiar to avos and put my air box inside my front bumper, not sure if I will go enclosed of exposed, I will have to ponder that
Have no direct experience with the CDA one, but you would also need to have a bell house shaped inlet (or is that included)? Anyhow I never considered this one as the surface area of the filter is only about 50% more than stock (might be enough for some though).

I use now a K&N RE0920 cone filter that fits nicely direcly under head headlight in the bumper. No need to enclose it, and it has another advantage that there is no bend anymore in the intake from the maf downwards. And last but not least the RE0920 has about 120% more surface area ;-)

Old 12-20-2011, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member

The CDA100/150 is the one most fit, the next size up is too big to fit in the standard location, I do remember reading these filters are good for vehicles in excess of 500BHP but no more than 600, so for most XKRs it is fine, if you are going over 450BHP I would not recommend one but go for something bigger like avos has mentioned or maybe a large ITG cone filter

Old 12-20-2011, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member

Remember that even a stock 4.2 is producing about 470 BHP (400 net and about 70 for driving the supercharger).

So once you start playing with pulleys on the eaton, you want to biggest filter avalaible. Supercharges are very alergic to vacuum, the more there is the more power they consume from the engine. The CDA is more then $300, whereas the k&n-re0920 can already be had for $40 and will perform better and longer (though with a little more work). You can even make it stock look with the stock airbox to cover where the piping is going. But each to their own ;-)

Old 12-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Count_Damonee
Polished Covers for the strut mounts? Clean touch and I like it.

Da Count
I am very interested in the top shock mount covers... I checked the website, did not see them. Is this something we can have made? If so, any idea what you might charge? They really look great! Btw, the entire engine bay looks great, as does everything on your site.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
I am very interested in the top shock mount covers... I checked the website, did not see them. Is this something we can have made? If so, any idea what you might charge? They really look great! Btw, the entire engine bay looks great, as does everything on your site.

They are on my Engine Detail page, they cost £175 for the pair, for that you get the caps, stainless dome headed nuts and stainless washers.

I have a set in stock and enough material to make up another set if anyone is interested.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:09 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Racer;

OK I am officially a goner......I saw the red powder coating on the Super Charger and said to my self that is nice...then the yellow one...oh that is striking....the white again very nice....but the green made me say 'gotta have that' with the green medallions and wheel caps on my car.

But then I remembered I want to do Avos Twin Screw conversion in the Spring and wonder if that uses the same housing as the Eaton?

Yep just checked....score!

'Power and looks' the perfect combo.

Racer ever do a Zircon Blue powder coating on the SC?

The Green matches the Italian Super Model Wife's eyes when she is mad.....try not to see that very often but then she does look even better...which pisses her off even more when I point it out....it's kinda like having a supercharger for green eyed lasers...I just can't help myself.

As my Daddy used to say "I get my laughs but it's risky".

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 12-20-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Default XKRacer

I have not noticed a light in the engine compartment... Do you have a fix? Could you fit those beautiful strut mount covers with an LED light?

JamJax- Polish the Supercharger and then clearcoat it with high temp clear... The problem with paint/powdercoat/polish&clear is- it does hold in the heat slightly... Polish and no clear is the best but it wont last...

A polished SC MMmmmmmmmmmmm. Thats Sharp....IMHO

Old 12-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

At the end of the day you can paint a supercharger any color you like, they do get warm but not hot enough to make the paint come away as long you adhere it well in the first place using an acid etch.

And yes I could fit an LED ring into a strut cap

Old 12-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Default XKRacer

If you could fit them to my 2005 with a LED light ring, what would you charge for them. On the top of my mounts I do have lines that run close, how do you compensate for them?

I am definately interested in them... Now do I mount a switch in the engine compartment,,, HMMmmm,,, or inside the car?

Where would the easiest place to pull power for this application?

Old 12-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

The lines you mention is the wiring for the cats suspension this is accounted for with every set of strut caps sell regardless if you have cats or not......

Personally I would run a constant live from the main batter wire connected to a plunger switch so the lights came on automatically when you lifted the hood.

The main wire runs to the starter and alternator on the right hand side of the engine bay, there is another going to the right hand side fuse box in the engine bay, you could either link the lights or run 2 plungers, there are many options.

You may even be able to use the micro switches on the hood release that tell you the hood is still open, you could run something along side, like I said many options

Old 12-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Price wise I would guess around the £250-£275 mark

Quick Reply: Done with Mina Intake. Where to buy Cold-Air?