XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's seat wiring harness???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driver's seat wiring harness???

Just bought a used '05 XKR. No faults during test drive. The next morning the diver's side air bag light comes on, a Saturday of course. I call the dealership and take the car in for something else they agreed to repair as part of the purchase. Supposedly they repair it. I drive away and that night the light is back on.

I take it in again and now they are saying the wiring harness on the driver's seat needs to be replaced. OK. But it's on National backorder! They can't tell me when it will come in. They won't give the vehicle back to me because it's a serious safety issue and they would incur to much liability if something happens.

Although they've given me a rental to drive, the regional Jag rep is saying that they won't pay for the rental anymore because they've had the car for two weeks! I own it for 3 weeks they have it for over two weeks of the time and somehow it's my problem?

Does anyone know of a place that carries OEM Jag parts that's not part of the Jag Dealership network? They won't install a used part because of liability issues. Looking for an OEM part outside of the network so I can get my car back. And praying this isn't a portend of things to come.

Last edited by GGG; 05-04-2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: edit typo in thread title so it appears in searches
Old 05-04-2013, 06:22 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Welcome to the forum caasap,

It's not been the best welcome to Jaguar ownership for you.

I assume you don't intend or want to hand the vehicle back to them and walk away from the deal?

The SRS (Supplementary Restraint System) on the 2003 onwards 4.2 litre cars is complex. Many of us here have had issues with the Airbag Warning Light coming on due to a faulty sensor or module. Problems with the harness are rarely mentioned.

Here's a schematic of the parts involved in the system:

Although the Airbag warning Light may just appear to be flashing before it stays on, these flashes, known as 'Flash Codes' or 'Blink Codes' are the key to finding out what is causing the light to illuminate. If you haven't had an opportunity to count the flashes and work out the code, you cannot begin to tell which part of the system needs repair or replacement.

I don't know of any independent Jaguar spares suppliers in the UK who carry new OEM SRS parts on their inventory and I'd be surprised if there are any in the US.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Driver's seat wiring harness???-xk8-srs.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
caasap (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Sorry to hear about your rocky first weeks of ownership.

That liability argument will also be what they use as a reason not to do simple free things like cleaning connections.

As Graham said, the flash codes are key to determining what part is at fault. I had a 2-2 code (seat airbag) and all that was needed to clear it up was to clean the connector inside the seat. A couple hours of my labor and zero cost. That was a year ago.

So, provided you aren't so frustrated that you demand a refund and give up on the car entirely, then the forum can more than likely help you diagnose and fix the problem.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 03:29 PM

WOW, talk about helping out! This info was more than I expected. Thanks.

No, I really would prefer not to just bail out on the deal but frankly it has been a thought. Getting a clean and reasonable mileage XKR Coupe in my area isn't easy, I mean it's California everyone here bought the convertibles.

I'm going to give them a little more leeway before I get adversarial, but I did file a complaint with Jag Customer Service, we'll see if that escalates their solution process.

Thanks for the info!

Old 05-04-2013, 05:30 PM
GGG

From the forum membership, I know Coupes are rare enough anywhere in the US but finding one in CA can't have been easy!

Taking this issue up with Jaguar Customer Service is a good move as no dealer likes customer complaints taken over their heads. In this case, I don't expect they are being misleading about the parts situation but that's not much consolation to you being without your vehicle for so long.

The upside is that most parts in the SRS are just replaced by Jaguar - they don't repair them - so you should get back a reliable vehicle.

Keep in touch here with progress.

Graham

Old 05-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Default Another week goes by...

In my continuing saga... another week goes by and no progress made whatsoever. The Dealership knows nothing more than they did a week ago about even the potential for a part from the UK, Jaguar Customer Service called to say "hey we'll let you know" 4 days ago.

So does anyone know of someone parting out an '05 or '06 XKR or XK? I think it has to be those years since they were the ones with a side impact air bag.

Monday will be 31 days of ownership with 6 days of actually having the car. Really?? This is the forth Jag I've owned and the first time I'm an actual "Jag Owner Horror Story".

My first payment is due on Tuesday or Weds. If I don't get any satisfactory answers from them on Monday, I will have to have a discussion with them about unwinding the entire deal. Pity, because I loved the car. The worse thing is I needed something out of the glove compartment and they drove the car out to me so I could get what I needed... cruel and unusual punishment!

Old 05-12-2013, 03:18 AM
GGG

Have they told you the Flash Code and exactly what part they are waiting for?

Graham

Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM

I don't know what the Flash Code is but I will ask, however the part number is: LJJ3510CB. Apparently, according to another Jag Dealer, the part is no longer available in the US for distribution through the Dealer network.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:14 PM

So here's what I was told today...
Flash Code :34
Fault Code: B2292

Old 05-13-2013, 05:51 PM
GGG

Now we know what the fault is - the Passenger Pre-Tensioner circuit.

Each front seat belt incorporates a Pretensioner device. In the event of low/high speed frontal impact, these provide additional occupant protection by removing any excess slack from the seat belts. Under such an impact, the restraints control module installed on the transmission tunnel generates a firing signal to each pretensioner to rotate the seat belt reel, retracting any slack.

The warning light indicates this system is at fault and therefore de-activated:

The cause is most likely a break or short in the harness LJJ3510CB. Here are the possible causes:

Replacing the harness is the easy option. Repairing it is the alternative.

As this harness is presently unavailable from Jaguar, the options are:

1. repair the existing harness
2. source an OE harness from an alternative supplier
3. obtain a used part

Although the delay must be infuriating to you, the upside is that this is not a difficult repair.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Driver's seat wiring harness???-flash-code-34a.jpg   Driver's seat wiring harness???-flash-code-34b.jpg  
Old 07-14-2013, 07:21 PM

I have the same error code.
Where is this harness located?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Default Follow-up

I thought I would finally follow-up the ongoing saga to this post...

Turns out that it wasn't the wiring harness after all! Or so they think, you'll see why I'm skeptical.

After the dealership having the car for 30 days of my first 35 days of ownership, the dealership gets in a comparable vehicle, pulls the driver's seat out of it and plugs it into my car, and bingo they get the same fault codes! So obviously it's not the under seat wiring harness.

After finally re-testing everything they determine it's the passenger's seat belt pre tensioner. Which by the way, was suggested by the faults codes provided here on the Forum, which I handed my service advisor during the process. They order the part, install it, test it and presto fixed.

To their credit, they offer to and actually extend my aftermarket warranty by a year to compensate me for the inconvenience that I've endured. I thought that was admirable and was pleased to have them respond so professionally. Car runs smoothly, all's good for 3 months.

Then again the driver's side airbag light comes on. I take it in and they say a low voltage reading, it needs a new battery. I pay for and have them replace the battery for $350. They reset the faults. The very next day the fault is back!

Now, 19 days later, they're saying that the fault is the same pre-tensioner that they replaced and that it needs to be replaced again. Oh, and that part is back ordered and won't be in until the 30th.

At my wits-end having owned the car for 5 months and the dealership service dept. having it for 2 months. I've filed a complaint with Jaguar of North America and initiated a request for them to buy the car back. It sucks to be making payments on my Jag and be driving a Kia Optima rental for the month!

I will confess to being bad and having asked the customer service rep at Jag of North America, when they started using Lucas Electrics again for the SRS wiring in XKRs. A hint of my level of frustration, and my apologies to all Jagphiles on having done so.