XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric door locks

Old 11-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Electric door locks

My electric door locks do not work. I just bought the car so I do not have any history. I have a lot of automotive experiance but I do not even know where to start trouble shooting the door locks. The car is a 1999 XK8 convertable. The fobs will open the trunk and turn the headllight on and off. The door lock fuse is not blown. I'm not sure, but I think when you push the inside door handle in past center it is supposed to lock the doors. It does not. I have had the door panels off to get new leather, but I feel confident that I did not cause the problem. I have been reluctant to take the panels off again because I do not now what I would do then. I have read everything in the forum about door locks which isn't much. They must be pretty reliable. Some one please give me idea of where to start.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,206 Likes on 1,700 Posts

My first approach is that the remote is in fact working identified by the operating the lights and the trunk leading me to believe that it is working. At this point I would take the remote apart and clean it. http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairxk8Remote.htm I would also change the battery. Now after I did mine I had to press the open / close button on the remote quickly a few times and it worked from that point on. Now all of this is assuming that you can lock and unlock the doors with the key.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the help. The key does work. I've noticed something else. When I push the door lock button on the fob, a light comes on under the dash. The light stays on for a long time, maybe forever. If I open and close the door the interior lights come on and then go off in a short time. The door lock light also goes out. It seems that there are two different lights the "door lock" light is not as bright as the "open the door" light. I can not hear any sounds in the car when I push the button. To summarize, there is a signal from the fob to the car that turns on a light, but does not lock or unlock the doors, and the light does not seem to go out as if it is on a timer. Can anyone give me some more ideas?

Old 11-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

If the key will unlock the driver door that eliminates the electric lock device itself. The key operates electrically through the door lock module, door key switch and door switch. There is also a door locking relay in the RH fascia fuse panel.

Here is the electrical schematic for the locks but you might want to get the whole thing to find fuses, relays and connections. I would bet that removing the door panels had something to do with it.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 11-29-2010, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the schematic. After studying it, about the only thing I can see from a trouble shooting standpoint is to jumper out the relay. The relay must be working or the key would not unlock the doors. I don't see the light on the schematic so I can't pursue the logic of why the light comes on but the lock does not activate. The only other thing I can see is applying 12 volts to the outputs of the modules, but that is complicated, and I would really need a helper. I think you are right about having the door panels off causing the problem. When I push the drivers door handle in to the lock position nothing happens. It does not feel right. I think I will pull that door panel and snoop around. If you think of something else please tell me. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

My analysis of the schematic and your comments is that the fob is being received by the security module and through the body processor module is turning on the interior lights. It is just not activating the door locks. Since we know that the electric locks work because the key unlocks them that pretty well hems up the problem to a small part of that page 13.1 of the schematic.

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2010, 05:34 PM

IT WORKS! IT WORKS! IT WORKS! I didn't take the door panel of. I just took off the little cup peice that surrounds the door handle. I worked the handle around in various positions and tried the fob as I did so, and it started working. I put the cup back on making sure the handle wasn't on a bind, and yahooo. As you might be able to tell I really get happy when we win one. Thank you again, and Mary Christmas again! My next project is leaking power steering fluid. I'm not really excited about putting the car up on jack stands.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

You are just 'loving' your car and it will love you back.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

It is amazing what you can do when you are determined. I do have a little info on the door lock mechanism that is in the door should you have a need for it. http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...r%20Switch.pdf I hope it helps!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:12 AM

I'm glad I don't need those pictures. You would need to work on, that on a day when your wife is away and you feel very mentally stable, and at piece with the world. Otherwise things..... shall we say, might get out of hand. In such a case there is usually smoke and fire involved. Thanks anyway for the help.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having a similar problem that just started. When operating the locks with the key on the outside of the door the driver side handle tucks in or out as it should (denoting locked or unlocked). However once finished driving around I cannot get out of my car. The handle does not unlock as it should by pulling on it. If I pull the passenger door handle it effectively unlocks the driver side door. It seems that my problem is with the inside driver door handle. Pushing it in or pulling it out has no effect. I guess I will pull it apart and have a look. I read your post Gus and hopefully your picks will lead me to a solution. Any suggestions before I start. Something to ease the learning curve Thanks!!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am limited on this because I never removed the door panel to access the latch mechanism. I would make one suggestion before removing anything I would hit it with a little WD40 and see if working a few times frees it up. If not and you must remove it do yourself a favor and test the switches first for proper adjustment. If you are still unable to make it work let us know.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll let you guys know how it plays out

Old 02-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same problem to me too, for a few days now, i can't lock the driver door using the remote, i can only lock/unlock it using the flip key, all the others doors and trunk are working good. Also, if i lock all the doors from driver door i will not be able to get out of the car using driver door cause it won't unlock from inside, i have to lower the window and stick the flip key and unlock it. Please some help....

Old 02-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

mik15, it sounds like the connection between the door handle and the lock mechanism has gotten disconnected. If the door is unlocked and you pull on the interior handle does the door open?

It's pretty easy to take the door panel off to look at the mechanism in the door. Here's a video of how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3wMh_R3fws

Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

My guess is that the electric latch internal microswitch has failed and you need a new latch.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,980 Likes on 2,123 Posts

mlk15, are you in the right group? Do you also have an XK8 or just an X type?