XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOB 2005

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default FOB 2005

Hello all, new to form. Received my car today and the fob does not work, called dealer whom i bought the car, 350 some miles away and he said battery is dead. It looks like i'll need to re program fob, found all that information but my question is the fob that was given to me says ford, not jaguar, it looks the same (no graphic on front ) but same button shape and style but the back says ford? Is this correct? Will this work with my car? This dealer only sells Jaguars.
Rick

Old 09-30-2015, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

There are key fobs and ignition key experts on this forum that could help more, but my understanding is that the fob/remotes are not much of a problem generally. A number of them work, sourced from Craigslist to eBay. The battery is probably a good place to start on yours. Chances are the previous owner had this fob as a replacement already, and managed to make it work. My sense is that if the Ford logo bothers you, you could find a Jaguar fob easily. Maybe even your dealer could mail you a replacement, as a courtesy.

As you said, the pairing procedure of the fob to the car is documented on this forum. I have never had to do this myself, but folks have reported success, if only after several tries.

The other thing I have seen, if you are a bit crafty, is to retrofit the new "switch blade" type fobs/key combination. It involves pairing the fob part the normal way, and replacing the key stem and security "pill" on the new fob. I have been very tempted to do this, but my car only came with one key, so I am reluctant to commit to destroying it in the off chance I would mess it up and make the car inoperable. New keys are expensive AND need to be paired with the car at the dealer (1 hr labor), making a new key about $250. Maybe there is a coupon out there, anyone?