Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front coil springs advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Front coil springs advice

Hi guys,

due to a MOT advisory about worn front bottom wishbone ball joints and the fact that car sits about 1 1/4 inches too low at the front, inspired by this forum, I have started to rebuild the front suspension. The original shock mounts are still intact and are almost the same thickness as the new ones. There is no way just changing these with all the bushes and ball joints will restore the ride height.

Obviously the springs must be weak and sagging but the correct new ones (JLM 20689) are silly money, about £440 the pair ! I have seen that the R performance springs are almost half this price, do you think I can fit these to restore ride height?

Has any body used these as a suitable replacement and I wonder if any one has measured their uncompressed spring height so I can compare them with my original springs ?

Many thanks.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

my 03 xk8 was that much low and then some. I replaced upper/lower mounts, springs and shocks then I was back to fact spec. I would replace those uppers while you have it apart. They may look ok now but there are not much more for this life, trust all of us here that tell you to replace them.

The following users liked this post:
DandyAndy (04-16-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 02:33 PM

Hi brgjag,

Yes, I have new mounts ready to be fitted but I'm trying to find out if any one has used coil springs with a different part number as different Jaguar spec springs can be sourced at nearly half the price of the original ones.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

In January, Rockauto.com listed multiple Suspension parts, including coil springs for about $65 USD each that are no longer in the current catalog (With Multiple UK sources).

I am so lucky I redid my suspension a couple months ago. I wish I knew who now sells the missing parts.

DandyAndy (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

308 bucks for a pair from Jagbits.

DandyAndy (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

H&R Springs are less than $300 Shipped for all 4. They will lower the car 1/2" over stock, however.

I have them an love them, but if you don't like the "stanced" look, they are not for you.

DandyAndy (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I don't like the lowered look personally and the jagbits springs are all the wrong part number plus shipping to the UK and import duty would make them expensive.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I purchased new stock springs for $210 pair. Hope you will find a better deal.

DandyAndy (04-16-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Johnken, I'm in the same situation and all about $210/pair. Where did you find them? I'd also prefer the stock specs but will consider the slightly lowered if that's all I can get. Incidentally, Rock Auto no longer list springs.

Also, I found a guy on the web in the UK, DCR Auto Parts, that claims to have the goods for around $190 a pair at the prevailing exchange rate BUT he has yet to respond to my query. Anyone have experience with these or any other spring leads?

I have a 02 XK8 Coupe with non-adaptive suspension. Some places make a distinction between coupe and conv. springs but don't believe the spring rates would be different enough to preclude interchangeability....

Best, Al

Old 04-26-2016, 06:41 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

My xkr has all new bushing, except new springs. It sits really low! I'm guessing the XKR motor weighs much more? Anyways, I put in twist in coil spacers---rides good as new! It might not be the ideal, but it works 100%

DandyAndy (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tr8bofin
Incidentally, Rock Auto no longer list springs.

Rockauto used to list Springs, Balljoints, multiple bushing choices, etc, and now they have almost nothing.

Originally Posted by tr8bofin
I have a 02 XK8 Coupe with non-adaptive suspension. Some places make a distinction between coupe and conv. springs but don't believe the spring rates would be different enough to preclude interchangeability....

Best, Al
The springs seem to all be about the same, because the coupes sit a little a little higher in the rear than the converts on stock springs.

The H&R's are perfect in front, but in back they are a little low. I'm going to replace my nearly worn thru lower spring perch rubbers to get back 1/4"-3/8" or so.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:24 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DandyAndy
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I don't like the lowered look personally and the jagbits springs are all the wrong part number plus shipping to the UK and import duty would make them expensive.
I have good experience with these:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/METZGER-Fahrw...sAAOSw9N1VynIU

Last edited by toaster; 04-27-2016 at 09:26 AM.
DandyAndy (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm with UNGN on the twist-in spacers (two per spring). They have worked for me for the last year. The car is now on the level and no longer scrapes the nose; and the ride is smooth and quiet.

Most on the forum said that it's not the proper way to raise the front, but it cost only $6.00.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:42 AM

Hi Tr8bofin,

In regard to springs, there are several different part numbers depending on coupe, convertible, adaptive damping, R performance etc. When you compare them side by side there is quite a difference in regard to uncompressed length and also the amount of coils. This seems strange as according to JTIS, the ride height of all cars are virtually the same?

I have just bought a pair of remanufactured front springs from DCR Auto Parts but I think the prices on his website are out of date as I paid £186 (UK Pounds or about $270 US Dollars) - still a huge saving compared to Jaguar, SNG Barratt etc). They are approx. 1/2 CM longer than new correct part number springs with slightly less coils. Just out of interest, my old springs were about 2 CM lower than new ones. He claims he has fitted the remanufactured springs to his car with no problems

DCR Auto Parts does not currently allow internet sales, you have to ring him in person or email him to discuss what you want but I found him very helpful including sending me pictures of different springs and their uncompressed heights so I could compare.

I am just in the process of refitting the front suspension back together and will update you on what I find when finished.

Last edited by DandyAndy; 04-27-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:33 PM

Thanks DandyAndy. I'm not in a rush so will wait to hear from you.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Al, I bought my springs from Gaudin. Read my post from 12/23/15 before you order from them. I want you to be aware of their delivery times and my frustration with their advertised vs actual stock levels.

Not a deal killer but know what to expect.

John

Old 04-30-2016, 10:45 AM

Thanks Johnken. I checked with Gaudin but for everyone's info front springs for the coupe and conv. are currently on backorder. I didn't even ask if they expected a shipment soon as 'backorder' is often trade-speak for who knows when, if ever, we'll have them again.

I decided not to wait for DandyAndy's result and went ahead and ordered a set from DCR also for nearly $300 shipped. Not cheap but my coupe (I just purchased it) features front springs that are so collapsed I'm afraid to drive it. I'm advised from the Forum that the springs may be only part of the problem and I'm prepared to replace other items in the system. The springs however seem to be the current "long pole in the tent" insofar as replacement part availability is concerned. Frankly I'm perplexed that such a known failure item is so hard to come by on a vehicle whose build numbers ran to nearly 100K units, but hey....

Old 04-30-2016, 11:23 AM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

danyandy;
I'm curious as hell. How does one "recondition" coil springs?

Old 04-30-2016, 08:14 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you see my previous post where i fitted adjustable lower spring seats to my stock shocks and springs? I can adjust the preload on each side to give the exact same ride height right to left. I can put the ride height high or low... I have mine set at 15 5/8" and it worked like a dream. I got the parts from A-1 racing products in Pa. The cost was about $110.00, i did the machine work myself. Do a search for "front shocks, w adj. purr-fect!"

Old 05-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

bhp;
Thanks pal, but I was referring to DandyAndys post above, where he said he purchased "remanufactured front springs".
I never heard of anyone remanufacturing springs before, but I'm open to new idea's. You Brits have a way of doing things no one else ever thinks about---;-)

Cheers

Quick Reply: Front coil springs advice