Front Shock Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 08:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Front Shock Mounts

Hi all,

Quick question..?

I'm looking for a pair of Front Shock mounts #MJA2170BD

Now...I have found numerous prices on the interweb...but I found a pair from Welsh Enterprises with this part number on Ebay at a good price...but it says NOT compatible with my 2000 XKR..???? In fact it simply skips right over 2000 thru 2002 XKR's....am I missing something here..? It's the correct part number.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2016, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

This often happens on ebay. The seller does not know for certain that it will fit your car, but it is the correct part number, so I would buy them. Those are the mounts I used on a 2000 XKR a couple of years ago.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:46 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Per my parts book the unit is the same. Just installed the Welsh units on my 99 XK8. They are an upgrade unit as the insulation material is a hard plastic replacing the softer ( in my case deteriorating ) insulator. Rich

Old 03-30-2016, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

I have one side available for sale for $50...didn't use it- PM if interested.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks everyone...I contacted Welsh Enterprises and they confirmed it would fit...and they intend to correct the Ebay listing.

Thanks DSNYDER586....but I have already ordered....I didn't see your post til after it was already done...

Old 04-01-2016, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Whatever you do DON'T BUY THE ONES FROM PARTS GEEK!

I bought a pair from them and they crapped out way too quickly.

Below is the email exchange I had with them. I will never buy from them again.

[me]

I bought two of these a couple years ago to replace the original ones on my 2004 XK8 with 39K miles.

04 2004 Jaguar XK8 Shock Mount - Suspension - Eurospare, Front Upper - PartsGeek

Recently I had the suspension apart for some other maintenance and I found that the replacement parts I bought from you are already falling apart at 2 years and 20K miles. I have some pics I can send to you that show how the bushing material is collapsing and crumbling up. They are now in worse shape than the original units I removed that had 10 years and 39K miles on them.

I think that you should replace the two I bought with a new pair.

Please let me know what you can do for me. Thanks.

[them]

The parts had a 1 year warranty from purchase date which has expired.

[me]

Regardless of your stated "warranty", I would expect that a part sold to be of equal quality to its OEM would last at least as long and would not prematurely fail as these have done.

Please escalate my issue to management. I am a pretty reasonable guy. I am thinking that a simple replacement of an obviously bad part is preferred over a firestorm of bad internet press. I would rather praise you for stepping up than sing my sorrows about getting screwed.

[them]
The warranty period is 1 year from purchase date. Therefore the parts have lasted past their respective warranty period. We cannot replace parts that have gone 1.5 years past the 1 year warranty.

[me]

When I post my dissatisfaction with the quality and short life of these parts, I will be sure to include that you only expect them to last until you are technically off the hook on warranty. And that you apparently do not care if you are selling low quality parts with a service life well below OEM.

This was my first purchase from you. If quality is NOT on par with OEM and as a result is only expected to last a year, I can't see wasting any more money with your company if I can't trust that I will get a REASONABLE life out of a part. I am sure a lot of others will feel the same once my issue is brought to light.

I hoped for a better solution from you than this.

[them] :
Please, really? Do you realize the industry standard is 12 months or 12,000 miles? We value your business however, your presentation appears to desire the parts last forever. The warranty period is 1 year. You have exceeded that to a 2.5 year reported failure. We apologize for any inconvenience, however we cannot create new warranty claim procedures from a manufactured part.

[me] :icon_saywhat

Yes, really. I would just like the parts that I buy to have a comparable service life to the OE part. No expectations beyond that.

Here's a pic of the original parts I removed at 40K miles/10 years. Notice that they were not even in a failed state yet. One of your new replacements is in the middle.

Here is a pic now of your part after only 20K miles/27 months. The rubber is falling apart way too early in its life. Obviously the failure has been going on for a while. Could have even started to fail before 12 months. These parts are totally hidden normally. I just caught the failure during other routine maintenance.

I am confident that anybody I show these pics to will agree with me that your parts appear to be of suspect quality. Yeah, they may have made it past your “industry standard warranty period” but I’d bet nobody will want to buy/install these if they know up front the job will need to be redone in 20K miles. That is a ridiculously short life for this type of suspension part.

Give it some serious thought. Are you really ok with my experience so far?

[them]
Please be advised parts can fail at anytime; out of the box, 2.5 years as in your case or 10 years. There is no further rational that can be given to you. We would have honored any failure under warranty for the first 12 months, unlimited mileage. Parts are not sold with a lifetime warranty UNLESS specifically sold with that warranty.

The following 3 users liked this post by rothwell:
Johnken (10-30-2016), RaceDiagnostics (08-13-2016), Rogerj (11-21-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the thread. I will not buy mounts or any parts from Parts GEEK.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Upper shock mounts melted

My replacement upper shock mo

unts had not lasted 10,000 miles.

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 01:36 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hemitwist
My replacement upper shock mo

unts had not lasted 10,000 miles.

What? How? Were these the new poly bushing "upgrades"? The black color would indicate it to be! Where did you buy from?

I've owned several xk8's over the years, the upper mounts where always expensive for what you get.. But prices have now come down to less than a third of their original prices from just 3 years ago! I wonder if it's a false economy and it's just a whole lot of cheap materials being used instead!

Old 10-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Ok, this is not the thread I wanted to see..arg...

I just installed the front mounts from PartsGeek on my 1998 xk8
Is there any way to inspect these things and monitor their "failure"?

Old 10-29-2016, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Wow that melted one takes failure to an all new level.

I want to know who/where you bought those from.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Anthony8858
Ok, this is not the thread I wanted to see..arg...

I just installed the front mounts from PartsGeek on my 1998 xk8
Is there any way to inspect these things and monitor their "failure"?
You can inspect them if you remove the inner fender liner. That is how I discovered mine were failing prematurely.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Wow! I think a hockey puck would have held up better than that. Did they come from the La Brea Tar Pit cheap parts Ltd.?

Please let us know source of these replacements.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Were the Cats plugged?

Where did that much heat come from?

Old 10-29-2016, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,322 Likes on 735 Posts

Where the Heck did they come from? What could cause such heat in that area?
I'm sure my mouth was hanging open looking at that the first time.
More information please.

Wayne

Old 10-29-2016, 06:41 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

XKR2000: I just installed a pair of poly upper shock mounts from Welsh Enterprise. Do not be surprised if they only send you one mount. I had to email them and after a couple of days they finally argeed that they only sent me one and then sent the other one. Good thing I did not have the car apart!!

And to loudly second the request for more information on the shocks mounts that melted....holy tar pit batman!!!
As I just said I just finished installing poly upper shock mounts from Welsh and I more than hope they do not fail EVER....although replacing everything again would not be difficult as the first time with OEM bushings.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

The Welsh Enterprises poly shock mounts are good quality. Wayne (cjd777) and I installed them on my wife's 2006 XK8's front axle back in early January and they are holding up quite well. Granted, she does not drive her car like a bat out of hell and that could make a difference in shock mount longevity....

Old 10-29-2016, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

I bought my shock mounts from parts geek four years ago, and they're still like new. So this is not necessarily a fault on their part. Even OEM parts can be trash if a supplier changes sources.

Not defending parts geek, but I don't expect the aftermarket suppliers to conduct extensive tests on rubber components. But I certainly would like to be informed of the source of drastically defective parts like the ones that melted.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:28 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Think that his name was Ken with Motorcars LTD on the melted upper shock mounts.https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...hockmounts.jpg I had paid quite a bit for them when I bought them years ago. i forget just how much I had paid? You had to rebuilt the upper shock mount unit yourself. With that I will not be buying them again..
Only had about 10,000 miles on the new upper shock mounts. I myself drove the car only a couple times a week at most of and on, to and from my daughter's high school. She graduated in 2015, since that time it had only been driven by my wife one day a week. And that was only a 5 mile round trip to and from the grocery store and on a very nice 2 lain road. The road is only about 5 years old so very smooth. With that the front shock mount was not noticeable to her. I now have what looks like tar all down the drive way from this mess.
The cars is a cream puff and well maintained by me. The cats are fine. I live in Florida and it does gets hot. When I first noticed this I had asked my wife what newly tared road had she just driven down? She said none. I asked why is tar all down the lower driver's side of the car? After further inspection I saw the shock in complete horror. I drove the car myself and it was fine until I hit a very small bump in the road. Sounded like melted on metal. Told wife car needs parked.. She drove it for another 2 months again only one day a week to and from the grocery store. Again only 5 miles round trip to and from and on a newer road.
As far as how to inspect them just turn your front wheels left or right and look in your fender well. With a flashlight you can see them fairly well. Also can see them at the tops in the engine compartment.

Last week I get the dreaded call from her saying that car will not start. I had to get a rollback to get it towed home. Fuel pump was not working.
So I just did a fuel pump replacement and while I was at it I removed both front shock assemblies. By the way the fuel pump replacement was fun. Had to lower the rear suspension just to get to the two fuel lines that run from the center of the fuel tank through the body. I have a lift in the home garage so it made it easy. On jacks and stands it would be a job.
Motorcars LTD upper shock mount. 2000 Jaguar XK8

Last edited by hemitwist; 10-30-2016 at 05:47 AM. Reason: add a picture.
The following 3 users liked this post by hemitwist:
Jag#4 (10-30-2016), rothwell (10-30-2016), Ungn (10-30-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How do the polyurethane shock mounts ride? Is it a harsh ride compared to the foam mounts?