XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Since I am running out of things to do, get all the parts and put them in the trunk, bring the car over and leave it with me for two days and I will change the parts out; you buy me a lunch or two.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I installed aluminum spacers on my coil springs 2 years ago as a temporary fix. It raised the suspension height about one inch and solved the scraping problem where the front lower pan was hitting the pavement going in and out of driveways. Got them from Autozone for $10.00 pair and installed in 15 minutes. The ride is so much improved I've completely forgotten about replacing the mounts. Needless waste of money unless you really really want to waste money!

Old 11-07-2016, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by johns427
The ride is so much improved I've completely forgotten about replacing the mounts. Needless waste of money unless you really really want to waste money!
If you have '98 with 90K miles and the original shock mounts, you won't be wasting money replacing the shocks/shock mounts.

Unless they were replaced in the past, I would think the mounts are crumbling, the shocks are all ready going off center in the upper and the lower is sloppy.

Turning up the radio is a solution to the eventual clunking noises and its free!

Old 11-24-2016, 01:01 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My XKR front end was also lower than spec at 14.5". This caused inboard tire wear and bottoming out when entering driveways. Replacing the "foam sandwich" shock mount helped but my root cause is sagging coil springs. I manufactured a 1/2" thick aluminum spacer (donut) to fit above the "foam sandwich", and replaced the 3 mounting bolts on the "foam sandwich" with longer ones to compensate for the alum. spacer. After 10,000 miles the height is at spec (15.5) and tire wear is even. The ride feel seems the same and bottoming out on driveways no longer a problem. Changing the top shock mount foam sandwich requires a "strut" coil spring compression tool, changing the 3 tack-welded foam sandwich studs requires knocking them out;since the replacements are not secure for tightening, I just held the protruding stud while wrenching the retaining nuts. Also 1/2 was the limit to fit the geometries/clearances of the suspension. Good time to check your bushings, replace with poly if needed.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Upper Front Shock Mounts XK8 XKR

Thanks for everyones input on this. My car has 58,000 miles and is a 2004 XKR. I've had it one year. The front end felt loose in the steering wheel like tires out of balance or some loose connection in the suspension. After much advice, I focused on the upper shock mounts. I ordered the mounts with the polyurethane inserts from Welsh Enterprises. The looseness is gone and the car handles fabulously now. There is no harshness that was a fear of mine. The car has 20" rims so I expect to feel the road and I do, in a sports car way. The car was leaning into corners but no more. I could not be happier with the performance. I've attached side and top pictures of one of the old mounts. You can see the deterioration.
Before, the ride height was 14" on the left and 14 3/4" on the right. Now it is about 14 7/8" on both sides. Stock is 15.5" so I don't know what would bring it up but I like the lower look.
I also had the oil cooler that hangs down in front raised up about 1" to avoid it hitting on big dips or wheel curbs.
John

Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension Spacers?-upper-shock-mount-side-view.jpg   Front Suspension Spacers?-upper-shock-mount-top-view.jpg