XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel line dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel line dimensions

I bought my XKR 5 years ago and immediately set about servicing it. I had a difficult task removing and replacing the fuel filter and in doing so, I buckled the metal pipes either side of the filter.
Over the ensuing years, the car has thrown all the misfiring codes, lean fuel etc.. and for the last five years I've replaced ignitions coils, duct seals, checked the air inlet system for leaks etc.. and still I have the fault. Recently it has dawned on me that the restricted, buckled fuel lines may be to blame? And that the system may simply not be delivering sufficient fuel at high revs? I'm thinking of cutting out the section of buckled metal pipe and replacing with neoprene and clips, I may also replace the filter (with the threaded nuts) with an inline type with plain inlet and outlet tubes? Does anyone have any useful advice? If this sounds like a sensible repair, does anyone know the outer diameter of the fuel line pipe so that I can order some neoprene fuel line? I'm trying to avoid replacing the fuel lines completely as I've read in other postings that the one from the tank can be a nightmare! Any help will be gratefully received.

_________
2001 XKR (added by GGG)

Last edited by GGG; 02-21-2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Add Model & Year
Old 02-17-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Kinked or buckled fuel line most certainly could cause problems like you describe. Of course the best way to fix it would be to replace both sides with stock parts. Your other solution would be as you state, using a length of flexible fuel line and clamp to cut off stock lines with the inline, as you state. Not the best remedy, but it would be at worst a valid troubleshooting method. If all is well at that point, it was your problem and you can always replace stock parts at a later date.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Thanks Cee Jay, that's very useful

Thanks Cee Jay, that's very useful

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (02-18-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 01:25 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew XKR
I bought my XKR 5 years ago and immediately set about servicing it. .....
I've moved your question from XK/XKR to XK8/XKR forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Graham

Old 02-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew XKR
I had a difficult task removing and replacing the fuel filter and in doing so, I buckled the metal pipes either side of the filter.
Easy words for me to pronounce as I am not the one getting my hands dirty (or opening my wallet), but as this problem involves fuel, you want nothing short of a perfect fix. Who wants to deal with a leak of raw fuel near (hot) exhaust parts, not to mention running a nice expensive engine at high rpm in lean conditions?

Fuel line "technology" is not terribly complicated. You should be able to locate hard fuel-grade tubing locally and inexpensively. Next, you need to look at the detail of how the existing line bends and connects to the next section. You then needs to find a tubing bender (cheap tool to bend the tubing and not kink it), and the necessary fittings (or re-use the existing ones). You might need a flaring tool for this, also available inexpensively. Barring that, take the line off the car (should be held by plastic tabs) and take it somewhere for a "copy". Brake/fuel line work is pretty standard, most shops should know how to deal with it. If not, it is a great skill to learn.

Just my thoughts. Best of luck, keep us posted.

Last edited by fmertz; 02-21-2017 at 01:46 PM.