XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR Exhaust - Mina with and without crossover - is "screaming supercharger" normal?

Old 09-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XKR Exhaust - Mina with and without crossover - is "screaming supercharger" normal?

My Jag is an 06 XKR Victory Edition. I installed a Mina exhaust (and pulley and air intake). The exhaust runs from the center silencer back. It has a nice sound, but still fairly quiet and reserved so I had a Magna-Flow crossover ($85) installed for a charge of $85.

I like the new sound - still quiet while cruising, but more pronounced around town and accelerating. Sounds more towards a refined V8 or V12 than a loud boy toy.

Question – is the “screaming” from the supercharger normal when under full acceleration?

Here is the vido of the sound: Start up, fast accelerate away, accelerating drive by and then a clip from my "echo chamber" in the freeway underpass. Two sets - first with just the Mina, then with the crossover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsyzrxNWifE

Last edited by JamesWalker; 09-03-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Add video link
The following 2 users liked this post by JamesWalker:
H20boy (09-04-2011), JRE-xkr (09-06-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You should have a whine but not the scream. Sounds like the belt is slipping to me? I could be wrong I'm sure some one else will chime in.The exhaust sounds perfect though Paul

Old 09-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I would also guess you are getting belt slippage on your new pulley under heavy boost. Try a new supercharger belt. I think there is also a belt and pulley TSB upgrade. If someone knows if the improved one was already fitted on a 2006 they can chime in.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 09-03-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

That screaming is belt slippage,if the supercharger pulley is made from aluminium they heat up with friction and make the belts slip and lose grip.

I think the newer supercharger belts and tensioner are ribbed on both sides.

Last edited by macbut999; 09-03-2011 at 07:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BurgXK8 (01-27-2014)
Old 09-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Three things to consider. First, you have installed the Mina pulley upgrade so you are turning at a higher RPM. Next, and this has already been noted, it could be belt slip. Third, you may want to check the level of your SC oil and change it out while you are at it. I changed the oil in my 2005 XKR, SC recently and observed that it does run quieter at low and high RPM.

Nice exhaust sound but you are right the SC does seem to squeal too loud.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

As already mentioned SC oil could be low,could even be the snout bearings are packing in.I changed my snout bearings to uprated ones as you will be spinning the SC considerably faster than normally.

I can advise further if it turns out to be the bearings.

The following users liked this post:
BurgXK8 (01-27-2014)
Old 09-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

FWIW, my R never screamed, just a whine at higher rpm under load.
Exhaust sounds good. Thanks for the trouble to record it.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

exhaust does sound dayum good!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I want that exhaust! Or at least the sound of it.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:10 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

I'm also a fan of that exhaust...very nice indeed! Great clips for others to judge how a similar modification will actually sound. Thanks for taking the time to document it and share.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I would also guess you are getting belt slippage on your new pulley under heavy boost. Try a new supercharger belt. I think there is also a belt and pulley TSB upgrade. If someone knows if the improved one was already fitted on a 2006 they can chime in.
I also have a 2006 XKR Victory Edition and the improved belt and pulley assembly was not fitted from factory. This TSB was performed on my car to eliminate cold start belt squeal. My SC is substantially quieter now to the point where I have to listen to hear it.

If I fitted your exhaust, that's probably all I would hear on my car! Hmmm, tempting....

Old 09-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Exhaust sounds great, screech sounds terrible. I'd bet it's belt slippage, however, I'd check the pulley as well, it may not be lubed properly or have other issues.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Auto parts sell stuff that you spray on belts to make them stickier. It might not be a permanent fix, but it will at least let you know for sure if it's a slipping belt.

By the way, I think the squealing supercharger is kinda cool. It's as if it is screaming "GTF outa my way!!!"

Old 01-27-2014, 06:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi James. Love the sound you have achieved. I have the mina exhaust with straight pipes and get a popping sound which I hate. I would love to try the X pipe and was wondering where you had it installed. I am thinking we are neighbors as I see your NH tag and that looks like rt 142 in Franconia? I'm in Whitefield and spotted a similar car to yours leaving the Lions club car show. Not many xk8's up here so I'm thinking that was again you. I would love to find a local mechanic up on these cars and would appreciate any help. walt

Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by captainvogt
Hi James. Love the sound you have achieved. I have the mina exhaust with straight pipes and get a popping sound which I hate. I would love to try the X pipe and was wondering where you had it installed. I am thinking we are neighbors as I see your NH tag and that looks like rt 142 in Franconia? I'm in Whitefield and spotted a similar car to yours leaving the Lions club car show. Not many xk8's up here so I'm thinking that was again you. I would love to find a local mechanic up on these cars and would appreciate any help. walt
Provided you aren't getting to tricky with your system, most muffler shops should be able to install it. I had a hot rod shop down in NC put that plus two magnaflow cans on my XK8. Custom Jaguar XK8 exhaust - YouTube

With that car gone not sure what's next for the XKR I have now but finding a pipe bender shouldn't be hard, especially in NH where winter eats up exhaust systems like recycled beer cans. Keep in mind that part isn't expensive, it's the labor you're paying for: Magnaflow X Pipe

Old 01-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

In addition to the other comments regarding belt slip, replacing the tensioner at this age is a good idea. Some ways to stop the belt slip are to replace the belt, replace the tensioner, replace the small pulley, check the supercharger drag to be sure that isn't the problem..

Old 04-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesWalker
My Jag is an 06 XKR Victory Edition. I installed a Mina exhaust (and pulley and air intake). The exhaust runs from the center silencer back. It has a nice sound, but still fairly quiet and reserved so I had a Magna-Flow crossover ($85) installed for a charge of $85.

I like the new sound - still quiet while cruising, but more pronounced around town and accelerating. Sounds more towards a refined V8 or V12 than a loud boy toy.

Question – is the “screaming” from the supercharger normal when under full acceleration?

Here is the vido of the sound: Start up, fast accelerate away, accelerating drive by and then a clip from my "echo chamber" in the freeway underpass. Two sets - first with just the Mina, then with the crossover.

I also have the same screeching on my xkr.I replaced the belt with the alligator
belt which made no difference wonder if you or anyone has been able to fix or
know what the problem is and how to fix it ?Hope you found the answer and can let me know. PS looked all over YouTube
it seems you and I have the only ones that make this screeching sound.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesWalker

Hi what was the outcome of the squealing belt and how is the car running today? Also what is the hp gains of the parts?

Would all these mods make our (I like saying this now! Lol) cars make at least 450hp with xpipes, exhaust, intake and pulley? Does any one have a realistic breakdown?

Old 06-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Nice exhaust note! I am definitely doing that Magnaflow x-pipe very soon, at least to start. It's got a very nice gurgle without being overtly obnoxious. I wouldn't even mind a little bit of modest popping.

Definitely sounds like belt squeal- mine whines but doesn't sound like a shrieking witch! Ack!

Old 06-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Mine too

My '04 Portfolio squeals when I stomp it too. The spray-on pig snot seems to lubricate the belt so that it slips easier. I wonder if a new tensioner would help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XKR Exhaust - Mina with and without crossover - is "screaming supercharger" normal?