Sponsored by:

Headlight Drain Valve install Question

Old 01-21-2017, 07:46 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Headlight Drain Valve install Question

All,

I am in the process of installing the headlight drain valve on my 2003 XKR and have a few questions.

Reading TSB 417-005 (http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/XK8/417-05.pdf), I'm left wondering why the headlight must be removed. I can access the stub pipe installed. My thought is I can drill the and then vacuum-- am I missing a reason not to do this?

Also, what function does the T-Valve actually perform. It does not appear to connect to an actual hose line. Is it there simplly for airflow and to prevent debris from entering the lamp area?

Any insight would be appreciated as I am just waiting on the valves to arrive.

As always, thanks!
dsd

Old 01-21-2017, 08:26 AM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Disclaimer: I have not performed this procedure.

From what I understand, the main reason to pull the headlamp is to keep debris from getting inside. That and actual hole placement. But if you can get the hole placed and angled right without removing the lamp, along with removing any debris with a vacuum, I don't see why you couldn't do it your way. Do you actually thing you can get the shavings out of the lamp with a vacuum though? I think even if you drill and vacuum simultaneously, you will still inevitably get some small shavings inside the lamp.

That is the idea of the vent pipe, to let it breathe and block anything from reentering.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:43 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Well, I drilled the holes :-)

I used a dewalt right angle tool with a 11/32 drill bit (couldn't find 9mm with a hex shaft) so 8.7mm will be close enough. I would say watch your angle on the drill, I did scratch the bottom on one side as I was at a slight angle (no big deal) but the other side was perfect.

A cotton swab got most of the gunk out. I could not get a vacuum to work (too tight an area) but a bbq skewer with scotch tape (double-sided or applied sticky outward) got the few pesky plastic bits out very easily.

Now just waiting on the valves, and I can tape the hole until then or just let to be.

Last edited by dsd; 01-21-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

I see that my 2004 is within the vin range but I have never had an issue with moisture. I checked and my car does not have this fix. The TSB says

"Some 1997-*2004* MY XK vehicles may experience a build up of condensation in the headlamp assembly"

I have to wonder if this fix is intended to resolve the symptom instead of the cause. Is the condensation due to poor quality of the assembly?

Old 01-26-2017, 05:55 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Where do you source the vents?

Old 01-26-2017, 06:39 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cabel
Where do you source the vents?
I bought mine from Terry's Jag Parts. They were under $4 each.

Of course, I had to order a third as I dropped one into the abyss never to be seen again.

The following users liked this post:
Cabel (01-28-2017)