XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi guys, I'm torn what to buy under $15K

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:18 AM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Here you go. With a little luck you can negotiate him down to $10k but you'll have to overlook the fact that it's salvage, and that the front of the car isn't from an '05.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Ikon
If you had $15K would you spend it on a 07' XK or the 06' XKR..? Or what $10k on a 05' XK8 and save the extra $$$ for maintenance, wheels, audio upgrade and power train warranty? If all are equal with decent miles, great condition and must be a coupe.

Ikon
My take is this. You are starting with a decent amount of money that should net you out a nice car in the end, but remember: this is a low supply/low demand type of market. You will end up having to choose between specific cars that will happen to be available at the time you are looking. Chance are, the majority will not be local, and they will most likely all be very different. Best is to educate yourself on the specifics (this site is DEFINITELY the right place to start), try and limit your search somehow, until the right mix of conditions comes along. Chances are you will not find THE exact car you wanted, but you can come close with the initial purchase, and upgrade things later. If you want to do this right, expect this process to take a while.

One more thing: I find it useful to start from the premise that all these cars are issued out of the same assembly line, and are made of all the same parts, give and take. Therefore, chances are, any car will, over time, be subject to just about all the issue reported on this forum for that generation. The more you are comfortable with doing that work yourself, the cheaper and probably more satisfying your experience will be.

On the other hand, don't necessarily get overwhelmed with the issues these cars seem to experience. My take is that this Jaguar crowd is passionate about their cars, and do their best to keep these aging cars on the road, and in top shape. Many less passionate owners of other brands let go of their cars much earlier, so, on the surface, they seem less prone to issues.

Best of luck.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MediaBobNY
Here you go. With a little luck you can negotiate him down to $10k but you'll have to overlook the fact that it's salvage, and that the front of the car isn't from an '05.
Thats a $4-5k car all day... Like it or not it's salvaged and it's not like it's a rare car.

If you like to believe it's hard to find XKs cheaply that's your prerogative and chose/chosen to overpay that's kool too... but I know it's easy. I've bought both of the jaguars I owned cheap and both where mint, low mileage cars with warranties still on them. Plus I'm aware of actual value of the car vs inflated owner emotional value. I only pay what a car is worth not a story behind the purchase (a good story is okay too but I only buy the car).

Old 05-24-2016, 09:38 AM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

I've owned all of those cars before 300ZX (is the most decorated and herald sports car/coupe of the 90s), SC4 (the best reliability of all the cars) and a couple of Jaguars including a sweet XJ and STypeR.

Not sure where you're getting your facts but clean not baztardized ized 90-96 ZX NA and TT are going for $9k-19k. Just google or check out eBay, trader etc.
I actually have the red ZX (see above post) I'm an enthusiast and appreciate all cars BUT I'm jonesing for a XKR another car from the 90s that I need!

As with the prices I've run across quite a few 05' XK8 around $10k and 07' XK card for $15-17 all day that aren't salvage cars(cash/check in hand always trumps the selling price for a motivated dealer/seller) but I wasn't looking for one then (too many projects current toys 95' 300ZX, 75' 280Z, 03' 350Z, 68' Caddilac Deville, 68 Chevy Truck & 02' Benz CLK 320). Selling a couple to save monies for my latest knuckle headed adventure! LOL

Any leads on a great coupe let me know and I'll deal. I'm opened for a little more $$$ for the perfect example and mileage that will fall in the extended warranty range(I need one car with a warranty!).
Message me your email, I'll send you details on a black 2002 xkr coupe for $7,800---clean car. It's in Miami

Old 05-24-2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by fmertz
My take is this. You are starting with a decent amount of money that should net you out a nice car in the end, but remember: this is a low supply/low demand type of market. You will end up having to choose between specific cars that will happen to be available at the time you are looking. Chance are, the majority will not be local, and they will most likely all be very different. Best is to educate yourself on the specifics (this site is DEFINITELY the right place to start), try and limit your search somehow, until the right mix of conditions comes along. Chances are you will not find THE exact car you wanted, but you can come close with the initial purchase, and upgrade things later. If you want to do this right, expect this process to take a while.

One more thing: I find it useful to start from the premise that all these cars are issued out of the same assembly line, and are made of all the same parts, give and take. Therefore, chances are, any car will, over time, be subject to just about all the issue reported on this forum for that generation. The more you are comfortable with doing that work yourself, the cheaper and probably more satisfying your experience will be.

On the other hand, don't necessarily get overwhelmed with the issues these cars seem to experience. My take is that this Jaguar crowd is passionate about their cars, and do their best to keep these aging cars on the road, and in top shape. Many less passionate owners of other brands let go of their cars much earlier, so, on the surface, they seem less prone to issues.

Best of luck.
Thanks.. That's what I like about this and the Porsche/ Lexus community. Passion!!! It will help keep the car's value as strong as possible. However when it comes to our cars it's a buyer's advantage. Unfortunately because most still believe the jaguar is not on par with the Germans (which is far from the truth!!!) .

Now as a seller I'll demand more too but I'm a buyer and a realist. If you wreck, total, get a car stolen etc and it's a Jaguar we lose on value big time!!! I know from experience vs other luxury brands I've experienced.

I will find it and enjoy it whether it's a 100 or 150. Leaning towards the 05-06'

Old 05-24-2016, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by hm1
Message me your email, I'll send you details on a black 2002 xkr coupe for $7,800---clean car. It's in Miami
Check pm... Might get a steal on this one

Old 05-24-2016, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by MediaBobNY
His '05 price is unrealistic as well. Must be a fan of salvage and 100,000+ mile cars.
I'm a huge fan of high mileage cars that have been well maintained and are in sweet shape. I bought Kitty 4 years ago with 101k on the odo for 12k. Yes - she's needed TLC from time to time, but I've put almost 90k miles on her since. If you can turn a wrench and have another car at the ready, going high mileage can save you big bucks.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:57 PM

I spoke to the guy and he's a motivated seller and knowledgeable about his car with 4 years of service records... Very pleasant to speak with and took all my concerns... He has general maintenance records and basic repair such as battery, serpentine belt, lights, etc. But wasn't sure about the tensioners, fuel pump or tranny issues before him.

It has 140k miles, ***aftermarket power sunroof (not typically a good thing but will get up close pictures of that and inspected). interior nice except worn drivers seat..

Let's see where we go from here... An 02' XKR for around $6k vs a 05' XK8 for $10k? I can sell my CLK320 and basically be a wash! And still have some cash to do my own maintenance and upgrades!

Last edited by The_Ikon; 05-24-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:08 AM
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi how's it going, I love both cars, 300zx for roar power and the XK8 for comfort and every day driving, personally I feel the later Jags although very nice, lost the look, I'm old school and love the e-type-ish curves, wood dash layout. The XKR would be my choice if I had the money, but I would make sure it had all the extras, premium sound is awesome, heated seats & front screen, cruse control, auto lights and the list goes on, so many were ordered without the expensive options.

Good luck Tony

Old 05-25-2016, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bones28
Hi how's it going, I love both cars, 300zx for roar power and the XK8 for comfort and every day driving, personally I feel the later Jags although very nice, lost the look, I'm old school and love the e-type-ish curves, wood dash layout. The XKR would be my choice if I had the money, but I would make sure it had all the extras, premium sound is awesome, heated seats & front screen, cruse control, auto lights and the list goes on, so many were ordered without the expensive options.

Good luck Tony
Thanks buddy, I as you know share another similar car passion with you. You're right about finding the right car and options. It's all about finding the right vs the emotional purchase. It's called patience... Like hunting for the right Z for 7 months... And it fell in my lap when I stopped searching.

Because looking at and wanting to buy a XK8 it's very easy to get trapped in the beauty of the Jaguar!!! It's like getting tempted by the 25yr old intern... LOL

Last edited by The_Ikon; 05-25-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:27 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

No brainer .. 06 KXR .. the last and best of the X-100 series prior to Tata doing a serious bad nose job in 07. If you took the time to check, 07-08 cars can in many cases be had for less than the late X-100's.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by hm1
Message me your email, I'll send
Check your private message ASAP

Old 05-27-2016, 03:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

That is a nice car, but the timing chain tensioner is a ticking time bomb. Take that off the $16K. If the tires are all original, those are completely unsafe.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:08 PM

Nice car for someone! Basically a "new" car . Price a little rich for me but looks great

Old 05-29-2016, 08:44 AM

Seller of XKR sold it for $7k Friday. He's moving to Hawaii Wednesday and is a great nice jaguar guy.

Attached Thumbnails Hi guys, I'm torn what to buy under K-image.jpg  
Old 05-31-2016, 07:43 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Seller of XKR sold it for $7k Friday. He's moving to Hawaii Wednesday and is a great nice jaguar guy.
Did you by chance get the miles on the black XKR?

Thanks,
Griff

Old 06-01-2016, 08:08 AM

Yes, 140k miles.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, 140k miles.
Thanks,
Griff

Old 06-01-2016, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Did you see this add in the Marketplace?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...02-xkr-163373/

Quick Reply: Hi guys, I'm torn what to buy under $15K