XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you describe your experience owning a jaguar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 03:55 AM
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to say I love this car. It's an on going project with me, most of the things I have done are evade I wanted to rather than breakdown. That said I have just had a road spring break but that happens on all cars. Replaced the whole set then my hood hydraulics started to leak. I have now pitched all 6 hoses and plan to replace them this winter. That's going to be a long job.
What makes it for me is whenever I park up someone comes and talks to you. You don't get that with a normal car.
IanP

Old 09-04-2016, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by cyber3d
Your racist remarks are not welcome. There are a number of Japanese owners on this forum. And I for one don't like that sentiment.

Ummmm... what???

Old 09-04-2016, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

After 16 jags I find they are no different than any other high end car of the same era with the exception of all the rubber suspension bits. British rubber in the 90's not so good.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

There was a reference to "jap" cars.
I believe another member took offense to the description of Japanese vehicles.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

I believe the offense was the use of the slang term "Jap", not the reference to cars, let it pass guys, we live in a PC world and in the US the land of the offended!

If there had been a period after the term as in "Jap. car's" it would have indicated an abbreviation for the full word. Regardless it was used as a reference term for country of manufacture not a racial slur.

Sorry to the OP for the high jack..

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming

Last edited by Jandreu; 09-04-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:02 PM
Received 562 Likes on 269 Posts

My experience with British cars were limited to MGB's and last one has a 93 Mustang modded 5.0L, 5sp, and 3.55 LSD. The XK8 is not as quick, but sure is more pleasant to drive on longer distances. The 2003 XK8 Coupe was purchased because MOST of the bugs were corrected by then. The car does well and fuel mileage is good. Car had to have shocks, cooling tower, Water Pump,belt, Dif. fluid change and hoses + trans service with Mercon SP. I am Happy! with the car. Scared to death from horror stories back in 80's & 90's, but this is a great car. How else could I drive so much car for so small a expenditure? The car just looks GOOD!

Old 09-05-2016, 08:43 AM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

A lovely pain in my ***.😜

Old 09-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I love it tbh

I'm a 22 year old black male so I get a lot of looks since you normally don't see that lol. Also since I drive a 02 XKR, I don't think a lot of people know what the car is. So they see it as something exotic. It's pretty cool

The following users liked this post:
Cabel (03-01-2017)
Old 09-06-2016, 06:35 AM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

I've owned my 98 Jaguar XK8 Coupe for a little over a year. It had 40k mi on it when I bought it and now has about 45k.
I've done all the preventative maintenance at purchase...tensioners, thermostat, water pump and misc hoses. (@$4k). I've replaced discs and pads and tires.
The car has performed awesomely...it is by far the smoothest, most comfortable and quietest cruiser I've ever owned.
At this point in time, even with the initial maint. cost, I'm am very happy with the reliability and performance of this car.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

ive had a:
2005 X-type
2003 XJ Vanden Plas
2005 XJ Vanden Plas
2009 XF
2012 XJL
and now a 2011 XFR
my father has a 2015 XJL

needless to say.....i love being a jag owner. the cars are gorgeous, they sound amazing, and they are not that common. There's a certain tone to the name when you say it versus when you say "i have a bimmer or a benz"

Old 09-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

It is a challenging experience to say the least, but I know that the chances of seeing an identical car coming from the opposite direction are pretty slim. I have always enjoyed driving something different.

I love Jags!

Old 09-07-2016, 09:22 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had an 02 for 2 1/2 years. It has 70k on it. I've spent about 4 grand on timing chains, brakes, fuel pumps, convertible hoses, battery etc which I figured into the purchase cost. Although this is the only car to ever leave me stranded (fuel pumps), it's also the only car that has made me smile every time I walk up to it. Love driving it, but am always waiting for the next gremlin to surface. Mostly minor stuff...but then the car is 14 years old, lol. I keep thinking that in a year or two I need to move up a decade. Would definitely own another jag, such beautiful cars.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

I really hope I don't blow my Karma by saying this but, my '98 has been incredible.

After fixing the obvious issues, coolant hoses, thermostat and tower, water pump, secondary tensioners, and a new set of tires, I haven't had an issue in 3 years and 20,000 miles

She's been a wonderful automobile, beautiful and yet reliable. Personally I think the early 100s are the best looking so I don't have the desire or need to upgrade.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but that beats the heck out of smart and hard working.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:05 AM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

cant wait to fly in my xkr ..its a gas
to drive

love it..but $$ to keep in fine and well condition ..well its a Jag but way too much fun

Old 02-28-2017, 08:09 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

i love my 2 jags... they are such different beasts...

the first, is an x-type sport. fully loaded. yes, i know it was built under ford, but the engine is solid, and i had nothing but fun with it. went to vegas and back about 14 times, in 18 months... sometimes in 121 degree heat! turn the car off after 4 hours of driving, and you don't hear a peep. amazing! i have never had any issue with it. reliable.

my current love is my XKR-supercharged. just got her 6 weeks ago... what can i say? a dream to own it, and drive it as often as possible. NO comparison to any other car i have ever owned. sexy, solid, gorgeous in so many ways. love the modified exhaust. nothing sounds like a jag engine...it is truly luxury on wheels, and when you drive it, going 90mph feels like 65, its that smooooth.
she can be finicky. alerts that freak me out, turn out to be a pinched wire. haha

not sure yet on a road trip with the XKR...with the $$$$$$ BBS wheels, im terrified of damaging them. and the not great fuel economy, well, it is cheaper to fly to vegas!

in any case, i do love both of mine, and feel incredibly lucky to have 2 cats. and i have such lovely service from both jaguar, newport beach, and pasadena. top notch.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:54 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

For me it depends on which jag. The v12 XJS' were mechanical nightmares (but still strangely fun). The grins vs growls ratio has been much better with the XKRs.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:56 AM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Every time I turn one of them on, it returns the favor...

Old 03-01-2017, 09:13 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I have owned a lot of cars. Including 4 Jaguars. I keep coming back. They really speak to me. Honestly, the big decision I have is Jaguar vs Maserati. I really like Maserati and my CC is the only car I've owned that I really miss. There is a lot of overlap between the marques. I think the XJ gets the edge over the QP but the GranSport gets the edge over the XK's.

The cars have continually improved over the years in quality.

Bottom line is they keep getting my money :-)

Old 03-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I,M in my 4th year of ownership of my 2005 XKR convertible, absolutely awesome car to own and drive and for me produces mixed feelings when I'm out on the road....
Will somebody smash into the back, will somebody pull out of a side turning, will somebody try a steal it when I leave it parked outside the house, where do I get that all important electronic module they just don't make anymore, rust....aaaagh !!
Maybe I'm paranoid but for me the car I own & cherish is a one of...they don't make em anymore, you can't go down the road and buy one off the dealers forecourt, so if it's ripped out of your life it's gone...gone forever....hence mixed feelings!!

Old 03-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

unexpected pleasure. this car came to me after being parked in a garage for years, it had 39,000 miles and I knew the first owner well. He wanted me to have the car since it needed some tlc and defferred maintenance issues and he wanted a car oriented person to own it....well unexpectly i fell in love with the beast. first it was the smoothness of the drive, then the luxury of the materials, then the sound of the engine and the handling....i am used to and prefer manuals and firm suspensions, but the jag just took me to a different place...and i love it. i own two other cars that are wonderful and yet i choose the drive the jag as often as possible.

i don't fully trust her....she has issues more often than not...but she gives back when she purrs...so far i am delighted with the fact that many parts are available that fit Lincoln and Ford, which means 4 wheel discs and pads were $150.00 and a water pump was $40.00, and the coolant pipe was $40.00, and the thermostat was $17.00....all amazon even.

sure i had to go to ebay for door and trunk latches, and i have spent more than 50% of the purchase price bringing her back...the battery should be your first purchase if the little meter says 11.5 or lower or you have smog or cel issues. coolant service, oil change, spark plugs, water pump, thermostat, brakes, etc....and most of the work done by me, a mass air meter, filters and fluids...runs like a top...and i keep tools in the trunk just in case....

i also enjoy the looks, although mine has a petina that includes a small dent in each corner....i am soo happy i fell into this thing, i do not recommend british cars to anyone that are put together like a rube goldberg contraption...this car...but the experience, now going on 6 months is well worth it...price paid $5500, plus about 3000 in deferred maintenance items and repairs...now at 42000 miles ....wish me luck....

oh, would i do it again...yes...am i going to come out ahead money wise, probably not if i own it long enough, is it worth it...yes , i have happily been seduced by the cat.

Quick Reply: How would you describe your experience owning a jaguar?