XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is an XK8 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is an XK8 as a daily driver?

Hi, I am in the market for a new car and not to long ago discovered that XK8s are seemingly amazing bargains used. I am still not 100% sure what I want in a car I keep jumping around with what I want. Today I checked out a rather gorgeous 2005 XK8 with 83k, was immaculate in and out, I did not test drive it as it it was in the back of the sellers building behind others and they required prequalification before test drives, not sure when I am buying so didn't want to take the unnecessary credit check at this time. Anyway, just looking it over and sitting in it I fell in love. I have loved these since they were new and always love seeing them on the road. So what are they like to live with? I am not sure yet, but more then likely this would be my only car, but might look into keeping my current one as a beater. Would the XK8 be okay as a daily driver? Ever leave you stranded? What kind of fuel economy do you average? Expensive to insure?

Old 09-26-2016, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The earlier cars, certainly earlier than 2005, had mechanical and electrical problems that created this forum. By 2003 most of the engineered in mechanical issues had been resolved.

The car you described is more suspect based on maintenance and current condition.

Is the paint and interior leather appropriate for the age?

Otherwise, it could be a very good purchase.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by test point
The earlier cars, certainly earlier than 2005, had mechanical and electrical problems that created this forum. By 2003 most of the engineered in mechanical issues had been resolved.

The car you described is more suspect based on maintenance and current condition.

Is the paint and interior leather appropriate for the age?

Otherwise, it could be a very good purchase.
The paint and interior were both in extremely good shape, better then I would every have guessed for its age, the dealer also had car fax showing all of the dealer maintenance it received.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:14 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

What's your other car experience? Do you do your own work? What's your tolerance for a project/maint?

I don't mean to discourage you, I think a properly sorted XK* can make a fine daily driver. The issue is choosing the right car and getting it squared away. Any one you pick will need something.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

There are a lot of members that DD their Jag's that being said there are also a lot of members that like myself have the Jag as a spare just because we always loved the XK8/R. Personally I would never try to have my XK8, and it's in EXCELLENT condition, as a daily driver. These cars can be a hand full and you have to be able to troubleshoot and work on them yourself. Other wise buy something newer and less complicated. But f you love them they are worth the extra effort. My favorite saying is "anybody can drive a Corvette, it takes dedication to drive aJaguar XK8/R".

Old 09-26-2016, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

I daily drive my '97. I get 22.5 mpg in my 17 mile one way commute through DFW... about 400 miles to a tank of gas.

Insurance is cheap, wear parts are relatively cheap, and XK8's are actually not hard to fix, but XK8's were EXTREMELY complicated/expensive cars when they were new. It isn't an 10 fuse, manual steering no option Miata (which would have cost about the same in the same year/condition as I paid for my XK8).

You need to have tools, a garage and experience fixing things, or ownership will get expensive, fast.

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
What's your other car experience? Do you do your own work? What's your tolerance for a project/maint?

I don't mean to discourage you, I think a properly sorted XK* can make a fine daily driver. The issue is choosing the right car and getting it squared away. Any one you pick will need something.
Other car experience? If you mea. Driving then just the one I have, an 02 Mitsubishi lancer, first car and have had it since 04. My next car will be my first car purchase, goal is something fun to drive, practical enough, and won't leave me stranded.

As for experience working on cars, I can do more them the average person, no pro by any means but I took quite a few auto repair classes in high school and college, so I have no problem doing the work provided I have the time to do it, my current work schedule and commute would make that difficult, work 10hr shifts 6 days a week with a daily 100+ mile commute, part of what attracted me to the XK8 was just the thought of actually wanting to be in my car and by comfortable on my drive.

What are some issues that are common on XK8s? In the reading I have done so far the only thing I have seen pop up(have not combed these forums yet) is the timing tensioner.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Mine is a daily driver and my only car. I was driving 50 miles a day for my work commute the last two years and did not experience any undo issues.

However, I do a lot of maintenance myself and have access to alternate transportation if it has to go into the shop (last week in fact). I also have a normal schedule, leaving me time to keep the cat in shape.

Putting a 100+ miles a day on any 10-15 year old car is going to mean maintenance will be an issue. Given your work schedule, I would suggest something newer might be a better buy.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Mine is a daily driver and my only car. I was driving 50 miles a day for my work commute the last two years and did not experience any undo issues.

However, I do a lot of maintenance myself and have access to alternate transportation if it has to go into the shop (last week in fact). I also have a normal schedule, leaving me time to keep the cat in shape.

Putting a 100+ miles a day on any 10-15 year old car is going to mean maintenance will be an issue. Given your work schedule, I would suggest something newer might be a better buy.
What sort of maintainance beyond the basics is typical? As is, even with my current schedule I do find time for oil changes, plugs, brakes or other rather simple repairs that need doing. I am quite curious of the issues you and other have encountered.

I should expand upon my commute. I work construction so my commute varies depending on what company I am working for and what job site(s) they send me to, current job is the farthest commute and longest hours I have ever had and it is atypical, in the last 4 years my typical commute is around 20-40miles with a 40hr work week, so this commute won't be forever.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:37 AM
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I am going to chime in, new owner of a neglected 99 xk8 with 39,000 original miles, i am the second owner. i have it a month, as of now cannot smog due to error in memory that will not set up properly, the car was dead for 2 years..i just got a battery, that's key to these cars, a great strong battery beyond simle cranking power. ill sort it out.

in the past month i have chased down almost every glitch in this car, it was neglected so that's part of it, then there is reliability, the car is complex and sensative, not japanese reliable or german teutonic, it's a luxury car that goes, handles, and returns an honest 22 mpg or better. its quiet, sophisticated under the skin, hand assembled in england, it's an english car with a handful of simular parts to the bmw or ford in that era...its a real jaguar, with a real trick 4.0 v8. its heavy , but gives a smooth but firm ride, had flawless traction/stability contol that is benign. it has features.
mine is a nice car and it needs allot of little things, mostly due to electronics and sensors and most important you start with a large new battery. get one for a good price and enjoy. you can always go cheaper, more reliable, better performance, and a good german nameplate. but this is a jag...its classic heritige on wheels. once in a lifetime perhaps you make a choice that is not head, but heart...that's a jaguar.

The following 2 users liked this post by hirev:
iodemus (09-27-2016), oddjob2000 (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 12:43 AM
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

oh, from what i can gather, synthetic oil every 7-10k.
coolant flush or change every 50000 miles
plugs , really good ones every 30k
air cleaner as needed or annual
fuel filter every 50k

not a honda civic and not quite a bmw 740i. it's an older car. some components and or filters/switches, etc...rear view mirror
...acura?) cross over from ford products, bmw, or generic german companies.
ive put about 800 miles on it so far, mostly with tuning and repair issues so it's not real world mileage...but my commute, 50% street, 50% freeway is about 22 mpg.
if you look at one expect something to not work...figure out if you can learn to fix that thing... if not then don't buy a jaguar.

iodemus (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 02:53 AM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

OK.... so you can get a brand new hyundai or a 4 door chevy or drive a xk jag... its just preference.. for about the same price
I drive the fast car as a driver... power and speed is fun
and I find they don't seem to atract speeding tickets.. huh

yes the cat does need service... but if you drive it ....it seems to be less ... excersise a thoroughbred and they need less fixing

Old 09-27-2016, 06:07 AM

Here is the car in question by the way, I just noticed I never posted the link.
Used 2005 Jaguar XK8 XK8 for sale in San Diego, CA | EuroMotorWerks | Pre-owned Dealer | San Diego, California

Old 09-27-2016, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member

Having owned my XK8 for a year, coming in with zero Jag experience and doing all the work myself, I have come to the conclusion that Jags are a British government "jobs program" for the local village mechanics.

A Japanese mfg would have changed a part design to last forever, while the same Jag part seems to be designed to wear out after "years of good service" and be easily replaced with proper Jag Mechanic tools and $500 in labor.

100 miles a day and you will be replacing a lot of the harder to replace parts, like wheel bearings and ball joints and be paying $500 in labor per occurrence.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ungn
Having owned my XK8 for a year, coming in with zero Jag experience and doing all the work myself, I have come to the conclusion that Jags are a British government "jobs program" for the local village mechanics.

A Japanese mfg would have changed a part design to last forever, while the same Jag part seems to be designed to wear out after "years of good service" and be easily replaced with proper Jag Mechanic tools and $500 in labor.

100 miles a day and you will be replacing a lot of the harder to replace parts, like wheel bearings and ball joints and be paying $500 in labor per occurrence.
Every post is making me shy away a bit more haha.
They told me at the dealer that they offered a warranty on the car for 4 years or 75k miles, and that the warranty was serviceable at Jaguar dealers. All sounded good when I was at the dealer, but kinda sounds like the car would be on a revolving door in and out of the dealer..

Old 09-27-2016, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by A_Locomotive
Here is the car in question by the way, I just noticed I never posted the link.
Used 2005 Jaguar XK8 XK8 for sale in San Diego, CA | EuroMotorWerks | Pre-owned Dealer | San Diego, California
Great looking car and super rare, but not a car you'd want to put 100 miles/day on. That car is nearing the point of nice days and weekend duty.

All of the foam in the suspension appears original and will go in the next few years, as will the shocks. Brake rotors, especially the rears are likely deeply scored and will need replacing. If you pay someone to do this its about $2K. If you do the suspension/brakes yourself it will still be about $1,000 by the time you finish.

At $8K that car is a great deal. $11K is really $13K as it sits. If you don't put 50K miles on it, you would be able to sell it in 10 years for what you paid for it, if not more. You can't say that about a more reliable crap box commuter, but using that as a commuter you could have the purchase price in repairs, @ $500/$2000 per repair.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:54 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

that's a nice looking cat!! I purchased my 2000 convertible in Feb. 2012 for $10900 with 91K already on her and no know maint history (before I found this forum). She has been my daily driver - 50miles round trip plus - currently at 159250 miles.

general maintenance plus replacing aged hoses, radiator, suspension bits. my major was the transmission but had rebuilt and still going strong.

You're looking at an 05 so no need to worry about early year tensioners. It has been driven so no need to worry about a low mileage dry rotted seals/etc but do consider you will need to look at suspension and hoses at some point.

Take a look at the How to section and look for the primer on what to look for when buying. if it were me - I'd go for it - replace plugs/all fluids/filters and enjoy.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:17 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

I have a 1999 XK8 convertible. I bought it at 95k miles, just past 117k mile and have owned it for two years. I drive it every day and the ONLY problem I've had besides replacing there headlight lens (broken by a rock from a semi-truck), is the dreaded green shower, and a bore wash issue, which was my fault for starting it up and moving it 5 feet and shutting it back off (put up Christmas lights)

I've had NO maintenance issues, NO $500.00 to $2000.00 repairs and it runs and drives like new. This IS my daily driver 47 miles round trip, every day, to work and back. Don't let the forum scare you. Test drive the XKs, your intuition will tell you if it's a good vehicle or not. Smooth as glass engine, smooth as glass transmission, smooth as glass ride...

Old 09-27-2016, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by marvin.d.miller
I've had NO maintenance issues, NO $500.00 to $2000.00 repairs and it runs and drives like new. This IS my daily driver 47 miles round trip, every day, to work and back.

You know you just jinxed yourself, right?

marvin.d.miller (09-29-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ungn
Great looking car and super rare, but not a car you'd want to put 100 miles/day on. That car is nearing the point of nice days and weekend duty.

All of the foam in the suspension appears original and will go in the next few years, as will the shocks. Brake rotors, especially the rears are likely deeply scored and will need replacing. If you pay someone to do this its about $2K. If you do the suspension/brakes yourself it will still be about $1,000 by the time you finish.

At $8K that car is a great deal. $11K is really $13K as it sits. If you don't put 50K miles on it, you would be able to sell it in 10 years for what you paid for it, if not more. You can't say that about a more reliable crap box commuter, but using that as a commuter you could have the purchase price in repairs, @ $500/$2000 per repair.
Suspension foam? And what makes you think the rear rotors are badly scored? Brakes are expensive I take it? Repairs like brakes I will be doing myself, so parts would be my only cost. And do the shocks go quick? If I got this I more then likely would look into keeping my current car for the time being, long term this would likely become my DD.

Quick Reply: How is an XK8 as a daily driver?