Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indicator Stalk

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Indicator Stalk

Hi

I need to swap out my indicator Stalk, does anyone have any instructions on how this is done ?
Thanks

Old 01-20-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Let me help get you started.

1) remove lower valence. Use torqx screwdriver to loosen 2 bolts at bottom a few turns. Slide fingers in under steering column pull up and back to release snap in connection at top. As valence moves back about 1 inch lift and pull back to release from bottom bolts. Many will remove the 2 lower bolts entirely - your choice you don't need to do so. The valence is slotted down there.

disconnect connections from Valet switch and from vent on upper right. Be gentle with valet switch - it falls apart easily. We've all done it.

2) use Phillips #2 to unscrew lower steering column shroud. When free disconnect auto position switch. its felease tab is on bottom between housing and connector. Phillips screwdriver to free dimmer.

3) lower and extend steering wheel.

4) disconnect battery. Your gonna have to disconnect with key in ignition or it will retract. You would be nuts to stick a metal screwdriver in the maze of wires and connections to unscrew the shroud. Plenty of exposed connections in there.

5) remove upper shroud.

Find the 2 black Phillips screws attaching the wood dash speedo cover on bottom of it 1 on each side. Remove.

Upper shroud

It is a Phillips head but really tough to get a bite on it. I once postEd a photo of these screws location. Anyway be prepared the heads of these screws were partially worn on mine. Took quite a bit of time and effort to get them out. Hope yours goes better.

do yourself a favor buy a couple of new 10/32 screws to replace these on reassembly. 1/2 inch should do.

pry the bottom of wood dash cover forward a bit to release upper shroud.

Battery must be disconnected for at least 15 minutes to make air bag safe.

Remove air bag
Turn wheel to 3 o'clock. Use star (#14 bit as I recall) bit to loosen from back of upper (now) spoke. Turn wheel to 9 o'clock, same bit to loosen final screw.

unclip air bag. Position disconnected air bag some where safe (what if it went off?). Don't go pointing it at your mother in law or anything.

take a scribe or permanent market. Mark wheels position for precise reassembly.
use 18mm socket to loosen center steering wheel bolt.

disconnect wire connections to steering wheel. Position both wires, air bag and steering wheel connector, free so when you pull on steering wheel to remove, the momentum that will be out of your control does not damage the leads. Trust me it will overshoot. As you will see, these 2leads just feed through the slot above the 18mm nut hole.

There are 2 star bolts holding a cover across stalk assembly connections. Remove this cover.

I have only gone this far to resolder the stalk wire (s) to circuit board. (You sure that's not your trouble?)

we will have to rely on others from here to detail Disconnecting the entire stalk.

john

Last edited by Johnken; 01-20-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Mind if I ask why you re replacing it?
John

Old 01-21-2017, 05:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
Mind if I ask why you re replacing it?
John
Thanks for the instructions

My Auto lights stopped working and also the stereo and air con lights are flickering as the connection in the indicator stalk seems to have worn

Old 01-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

I had a bad solder joint causing the auto lights to stop working. I was able to get under there and solder it back without removing the stalk. This is not uncommon.
Here is one link -

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...setting-74320/

Old 01-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I had to have mine replaced, because the trip functions button was... non-functional. I actually found the whole stalk assembly on eBay for $39, and it has worked perfectly for 5,000 miles.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

I had both problems. Auto headlights was purple wire. Trip button on end of stalk is black wire. Both wires solder to an exposed circuit board. You will have access to this board following above instructions. Last month I posted a color photo of all wire's connections to this board.

The new stalk costs over $300 last I looked. Hope you haven't already bought it mate.

I can't think of how this would/could cause dash light flicker. Wait it does turn on all lights including dashboard. Wouldn't it be nice to find it too is just a loose wire. That's how I traced the auto headlights failure. The loose wire would make intermittent contact as it flapped around in there.

Ask questions if we can help. Let us know how it goes. John