XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J-Gate Shifter: Flashing "D" and no Sport Mode.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charlie
After the installation of the new linear switch, sport mode worked and all gears but 2nd worked. The engine check soon light went on but I though it might extinguish after the test drive. During the drive the sport mode stopped working and I had only the P-R-N-D worked. My code reader just gave me 2 codes. P1638 and P1111. I Just went out to start the car all gears but 2nd light up. The sport mode lights up now but when put in 5th it lights only with movement to 4th then 4th lights up no problems 3rd no problems no light for 2nd.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Do you have a code reader to get the check engine code?

Is it only second gear that doesn't work? Or are all of the manual gears inoperable?

If it s all the gears, do you get a flashing P when switching the car on?

Check page 2 0f this thread codes are there

Old 07-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

1638 is a canbus fault. The LSM is actually a can node and the manual gears just send can commands to the TCM.

That all work but #2 suggests that the LSM itself might be faulty but before replacing you could try cleaning the connector at the upper right and making sure it is seated well.

Intermittent connections or erroneous messages from the LSM can cause the transmission to lock out the manual side like you observed.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:55 PM

LSM? I'm not sure what you are referring to. I have no problem taking the console out again do I just use contact cleaner on the upper right connection of the linear module?

Old 07-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lineal switch 2003 XKR

I replaced the lineal switch myself and the flashing D and no sport mode issue was fixed and has not returned in over a year. The part was about $250. And the task took about 2 hours. It was not difficult.
Originally Posted by maxwdg
2003 XKR Coupe - ZF 6HP26 six-speed transmission.
89,000 miles, Fluid and filter change done at 80K - with ZF "Lifeguard" fluid.

Those that have read my other posts know how much "love" I hold for the 6HP26 transmission and the (non)control of it that Jaguar let's us have. But, that aside, I have a recurring problem that sounds like something I "should" be able to fix - with a bit of guidance from other forum members.

I drive in "sport" mode and shift through all gears manually 98% of the time - Partially because I want to make the decision of when my car goes into the next gear and also to reduce the effect of the "surge surge surge" cold part-throttle annoyance that the '03 and '04 ZF trans is known for.

Problem: When I have been driving for 15-20 minutes (particularly when I'm on the highway and usually in "drive" or 6th gear) often, but not always, the gear selection indicator light on the J-Gate console starts flashing. The manual shift option (2nd,3rd,4th,5th) of the J-Gate becomes inaccessible, the light on the sports switch turns off and "sport" mode can no longer be selected, basically leaving me with just automatic "D" mode. The auto gear changing goes very sluggish when this occurs. When I get to my destination, the "P" or park indicator is also flashing. The system will eventually reset itself, but takes several stop and restarts of the engine before it will go back to normal (the pattern of which is not predictable.)

Sometimes i can drive 20-30 miles distance before the indicator starts to flash, sometimes just moving out of Park to Neutral or Drive when cold is enough to cause it. The flashing "D" light and sport mode lock out is liable to happen when the shifter is any and all shift lever positions and when it does, the system always defaults to "D" or Drive. There are no warning lamps lit on the dash info center. Obviously it's going into a limp-mode of sorts, but what's causing this?

With extensive Google searching, I have found a few references to this problem happening to a few other XKR owners and that the problem may lay within the "linear switch" under the J-Gate Shifter. Hmmmmm?

Has anybody else out there had this problem and know conclusively what will or HAS solved this annoyance?

If the problem is in the linear switch, can I take the thing apart and clean it? With any sort of assurance that doing so will fix the problem?

NOTE: the former owner of my car was a regular coffee w/cream&sugar drinker and driver - and damn near every one of the console/radio switches have had to be cleaned of sticky, sugary goo!

Also, I have seen a JTIS .pdf on removing and replacing the linear switch - but I think I may have been looking at information for an earlier model. Is the 2003 linear switch the same as an '02 and before?

After removal is the re-installation and the adjustment of the linear switch a difficult process?

Guidance needed!

Thanks Guys,

Old 07-03-2015, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

LSM = Linear switch module. That's what jaguar calls it in the service documentation.

Contact cleaner is a good place to start.

The following users liked this post:
Papa G (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 02:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can confirme, after many month that still work for me. Nos other issue like that after the cleaning. So don't spend 250$ on it, just a little clean !

Old 07-03-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ccfulton
LSM = Linear switch module. That's what jaguar calls it in the service documentation.

Contact cleaner is a good place to start.

Charlie thanks for sticking with me. I took the console apart and sprayed all the contacts after allowing some drying time hooked everything back up. I reset the codes and adjusted the LSM so I got all my gears back. Just got back from the test drive and all is well. Thanks a million.

Papa G out

Old 07-03-2015, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Glad it worked out and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:05 PM

Just my labor, $350 Cdn for the part and some great advice from Charlie.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:38 PM
ET1
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Good Afternoon,

I have an '03 XKR and I had the aforementioned problem of a flashing D light and no Sport mode and manual shifting was disabled. I tried contact cleaner on everything (switch and all connectors) and the problem went away for a year or so.

The problem returned and I decided to replace the Linear Switch (C2N 2467).
I just changed my Linear Switch and now I have a flashing D, no sport mode, but MOST IMPORTANTLY now the shifter will physically not move over to the manual side (left).

I have attached the label of the old switch (yellow label ) and the new switch (white label).

I did get a P1638 light which i reset.

Two questions:

Did I physically mis install the switch so that the manual side is now physically locked out?

Did I get the wrong part?

TIA

Old switch.

New switch.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:27 PM

The part number looks correct. Mine is installed so I can't see it. I
looked at the receipt and the number match's yours.
Part of the process is turning the power on with the new switch in place
but the adjusting screws loose. Once the power is on move the shifter to
the D position (don't forget to step on the brake) if it is flashing move
the switch until it stops an tighten the screws down. You should be able to
shift and move the shifter through the j channel.
I have driven my car to Oregon and back from Victoria with no issues, touch
wood.
Good luck

Papa G

ET1 (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 12:39 AM
ET1

Thanks Papa G, I left the rigging as it was with the old switch and neglected the adjustment. I will do that tomorrow. This forum is the best, there is always someone who has the answer!

ET

Old 10-13-2015, 08:01 PM
ET1

To confirm, the adjustment is with the actual linear switch fore and aft, and it has 4 Philips head screws which screw in from the passenger side horizontally?
Not the shifter cable, with the two nuts either side of the bracket to adjust its position fore and aft?
In other words, the same screws I removed to take out the old switch and put in the new oneare the adjustment screws?
The play is only about 1/8 " and I still can't get the R or D light to stop blinking, nor will the shifter slide left into the manual side.
I screwed the pooch here somewhere and am disgusted because everyone talks about how easy this job is :/

Old 10-14-2015, 08:14 AM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stumpy
I had this symptom and doing research also found the problem to be the Linear Switch or Transmission Control Switch (Varies with different versions of JTIS).
My problem eventually became permanent!

Replacing this cured my problem and all has been OK for the past 10 months.

The part number of the switch I fitted was C2N 2467
As an update to my 2012 post above.
All has now been OK for the past 3 years

@ET1
Sounds like you may have gotten the alignment of the new switch incorrect. I would remove it and try again. Make sure to have the battery disconnected when pulling/inserting the multi connector.

Last edited by Stumpy; 10-14-2015 at 08:22 AM.
ET1 (10-15-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 04:04 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

The second time that I had this problem, I removed the linear switch and cleaned out the innards before I reinstalled it and had the same problems that you have, not being able to get over to the left side. I finally realized that two items have to be aligned to get things to work.
If you bend over and look in the right side, you see a white socket way over on the bottom left that needs the front peg on the shifter to fit in and simultaneously the linear switch has to be in the correct position to accept the rear actuating peg. It took me a fair amount of messing to get the white socket in position so everything fit.
Hope this helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by Don-T:
bgr5722 (01-08-2018), ET1 (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 12:32 AM
ET1
Default Linear switch

Originally Posted by Don-T
The second time that I had this problem, I removed the linear switch and cleaned out the innards before I reinstalled it and had the same problems that you have, not being able to get over to the left side. I finally realized that two items have to be aligned to get things to work.
If you bend over and look in the right side, you see a white socket way over on the bottom left that needs the front peg on the shifter to fit in and simultaneously the linear switch has to be in the correct position to accept the rear actuating peg. It took me a fair amount of messing to get the white socket in position so everything fit.
Hope this helps.
Great advice, thank you. I got the lower side rigged right and now the whole shifter is mechanically sound. Unfortunately, still a blinking D and tomorrow I'm going to clean or replace the TCM plug. I think that is the problem, hoping it's not the module itself...$1000.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:05 AM
ET1
Default Finally resolved..

So it turns out that the LSM I got was bad. Of course I found that out after I paid $400 in labor to have it installed. The mechanic then cleaned the old one real well and it worked for the last four months and then gave up the ghost.

Sent the bad unit back for a full refund, but I'm still out the labor cost.

I got a new one from Gaudin ( whom I've used before with good success ) and installed it myself and finally everything works.

On a side note, I've had to wait a half second or so from a full stop to accelerate because there was a lag in the downshift in the tranny. If I didn't wait, it would be a rough downshift. That appears to have been corrected.

Double header!

Old 04-18-2016, 12:31 PM
ET1
Default Here we go again..

The new LSM switch from Gaudin worked flawlessly.... for about two weeks, then back to intermittent Sport Mode operation. Poured electric cleaner into the Sport Switch, but still intermittent operation.

One twist: When the car won't go into the manual side (ie, electronically),
the Park, Reverse and Drive light stays solid sometimes which I had not experienced before. Then it will revert to flashing....sometimes.

The next step is to actually remove the Sport switch and clean it when it is completely accessible.

Question 1: What is the difference between Sport Mode not working with a flashing "D" versus not flashing, but solid?

Question 2: Could the problem be the connector by the transmission?

TIA

PS I've spent so much time and money on that stupid light, I'm about ready to throw in the towel...but the car performs so much better when it works!

Old 06-17-2016, 01:52 AM
ET1

Come to find out the LSM was probably never bad. When putting the car into Park, the "S" light was on, but the shifter hitting the stop gave me the infamous flashing "D".

I figured it was a loose/dirty connection, so i went through two cans of electrical contact cleaner, unplugging and cleaning every single connector underneath that I could. Then I wrapped them all with tape to make sure they were all tight.
Finally, I took the "S" switch out and basically bathed it in contact cleaner right side up and upside down while clicking the switch on and off, over and over, prob 50 times.

Reinstalled everything and no problem for about two months now. Fingers crossed.

bgr5722 (01-08-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: J-Gate Shifter: Flashing "D" and no Sport Mode.