XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keyless entry programing

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Angry

Hi Guys, I have a 1998 xj8 3.2 sport, my remote seemed to start playing up a few weeks ago, after replacing the battery 3 months back, I have renewed the batteries but using the method on here seems to work to a certain extent, this it the procedure I have tried.
1 pull stalk back
2 turn key position one
3 flash lights reasonably slow and I get the red light on gear change as mentioned in all directions, now this is where I get stuffed, I press the lock button on the key fob but nothing I have literally spent a half day trying this method as I am sure it is correct with the light flash, but any suggestions as to why it wont give sound or re-programme ?

or am I flogging a
I would be most grateful for any tips.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Try taking the fob apart and cleaning the buttons with a contact cleaner then try again.

The following users liked this post:
lukie (07-28-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Try taking the fob apart and cleaning the buttons with a contact cleaner then try again.
.. whilst open and you can see the PCB, take a STRONG magnifier (I use a 'watchmakers' loupe - 8X with spring headband) .. and see if there is obvious corrosion, damaged traces, poor soldering, cracked PCB, bad battery OR switch contacts...

Serious complexity is in the coding chipset, transmitter, and such. The rest is pretty much 'vanilla', and subject to the usual failure-modes.

Last edited by Thermite; 07-26-2013 at 04:54 PM.
lukie (07-28-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 06:37 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The problem I had when I did mine, was that I wasn't turning the key far enough. Once I did, worked right off.

lukie (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 08:01 AM

Thanks to all you guys that answered I tried cleaning first as that was my first obvious solution, another thing I noticed I have little foil pieces on the inside of the push button , inside the fob there was only two that had foil tab should all have the silver tab? or maybe none?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by lukie
Thanks to all you guys that answered I tried cleaning first as that was my first obvious solution, another thing I noticed I have little foil pieces on the inside of the push button , inside the fob there was only two that had foil tab should all have the silver tab? or maybe none?
There are several folks advertising REPAIRS to the fobs that involves reflow soldering of the PCB traces etc when needed and ....

...NEW switches ALWAYS.

Tells me they do fail, can be replaced, and aren't worth the bother of messing with, short of replacement.

Mind - this is a 'service' - not the same as recycled fobs or new fobs or 'substitute' fobs.

One has to send their OWN old one in for repair while you do without for a few days. This may be worth chasing up as you now know something is awry with yours - and it seems beyond ease of kitchen-table repair. Here is one such listing. No personal experience with it:

Jaguar x Type s Type XJ XK XJR 4 Button Remote Key Fob Full Repair Service | eBay

OTOH ... that there even exists enough predictable failure of that sort to justify existence of a regular repair businesses convinced me - possessing but ONE key - to NOT go looking to save small-money seeking USED fobs and new blanks to be re-programmed.

Instead, I continued searching until finding 'new in bag', never-used complete units with uncut keyblank and all:

Brand New Uncut Jaguar Flip Key Flipkey Switchblade Fob Keyless Entry Remote | eBay

This one I DO have experience with, and it is a happy one so far.

As I ordered more than one unit at a go, there was even a discount offered, so contact the vendor FIRST if you need two or more.

Communication has been rapid, helpful, and useful, and I've put in an order for a couple of 'Valet' keys (which were not in stock at the time) as well.

Is that the only source? Or the least-cost source?

Pass.

But with over 300 reported sold so far, it was reasonable enough for me that I just stopped searching and placed the order.

FWIW - technology has continued to evolve since these were new items. I don't see originals remaining available 'forever' in their present match-up to what is onboard the motorcar.

Jaguars tend to live long lives, even if extreme life-support measures come into play. As with TV/multi-media remotes, garage-door openers and such, the day may come when we either have to chase seriously scarce and costly goods, ELSE have to use programmable 'universal' models with what will by-then be 'legacy' capability.

Probably wise to lay-up a spare now - programmed, but batteries pulled - and push that day back a few years. Or tens of years.

JM2CW

UPDATE: The two new fobs with uncut blanks arrived today.

A bit of fiddling to get a working 'cadence' sorted out on the flasher-stalk pulses described here and in another thread.

- Had to have my driver's side door open. Had a 'honk' but no red light(s).

- Failed to ALSO do the 'original' that was in the ignition on the first go, rendering it useless.

- Ran out of time on the second go.

- Got original and both new working at third attempt.

'To Do' is getting them cut AND seeing what is wanted for matchup to the OTHER code-device - the one in the tiny time-capsule-shaped cylinder in the head adjacent to the 'switchblade' hinge pivot.

The two 'new' ones were nice enough, but not 100% 'Jaguar Perfect' in fit and finish. That said, the 2005-vintage XJ8-L is no longer perfect itself, so....

Bottom line is that I was pleased enough to order a third fob/blank to go along with the two plain, coded-but-not-remoted 'Valet' keyblanks from the same source.

Last edited by Thermite; 08-03-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Talking Still xj8 problems

Hi, guys I was just wondering as one does when looking for solutions, I had my xj8 engine replaced three week ago could this have any bearing on my fob not programing, don't forget guys I get the red light on the gearshift but that as far as I get with no results yet.
Thanks to all on the forums they give great tips and solutions before you spend a lot of lolly when you don't have to.
lukie

Old 08-03-2013, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by lukie
Hi, guys I was just wondering as one does when looking for solutions, I had my xj8 engine replaced three week ago could this have any bearing on my fob not programing, don't forget guys I get the red light on the gearshift but that as far as I get with no results yet.
Thanks to all on the forums they give great tips and solutions before you spend a lot of lolly when you don't have to.
lukie
Unfortunately, no easy way to tell WHAT whomever replaced an(y) engine also did. Pretty much a certainty battery was disconnected. High probability the 'brain box' was spoken to so as to clear codes left by the previous engine and its helpers, set up and vet the new one.

Loss of key/security functionality 'should' not have been involved, may simply be a by-product of fat-fingered entries or BFBI handling/reset. It is even possible the entire remote/security system was disconnected ... and left that way.

Expect you may need hands-on from an expert to find the mystery and correct it. Too many possible variables to guess at over the internet.

lukie (08-03-2013)
Old 02-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks...worked great...

Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried both methods above to program a new remote and it doesn't work on my 2006 s type. Please help

Old 04-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Received 267 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow88
I have tried both methods above to program a new remote and it doesn't work on my 2006 s type. Please help
Wrong forum. This is the XK8 forum (as are the instructions for an XK8), you may have better luck on the s-type forum

Old 04-07-2016, 09:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FOB programing problems

I have read all these threads and have tried to program my fob as instructed. I get to the chirp, but red light comes on and immediately goes out. Fob will not program as I get no chirp or red light. I bought an identical fob on ebay with same results. One post indicated the 1999 XK8 had 2 codes. I wonder if this is the issue but its driving me crazy and I wasted money on the additional fob.
One I get the chirp and try to program, I get 2 chirps which I assume ends programing function.
Next try is to check that fobs are transmitting which I will do tomorrow.
I'll post here either way.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone have a good ebay seller you've bought your remotes from? Maybe a link to a current auction? I need one for my 1998 XJ8 and 1992 XJ6 Vander Plas. Does the posted instructions work on both XJ6 and XJ8 for my years?

Much Thanks,
Leo

Old 05-23-2022, 01:37 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
Note : All transmitters being serviced must be available. If the learning process is carried out without
having all the transmitters present, all previous transmitter codes will be overwritten, rendering the missing
transmitters inoperable.

This means you must reprogram ALL transmitters, whether they were working before or not. If you don't,
Only the transmitters you program together will work.

Also, the headlight flasher is the turn signal arm. When you pull it back towards you, you flash the headlights. This is
commonly done to tell a driver in front of you that you intend to pass them.

1. Pull and hold headlight flasher back while performing step 2.

2. Turn ignition key to position 1 (DO not "start" the engine, only turn the key to position 1).

3. Now pull the headlight flasher and flash the headlights 4 times.

4. Alarm will enter programming mode. This will be confirmed by "beeps" from the alarm and flashing led on gearshift.

6. Program each transmitter (up to 5) by pressing the lock or unlock button on each transmitter once.

7. The alarm will "honk" when you press the transmitter button.

8. The alarm must honk 5 times to complete the programming. Therefore, if you are only programming one transmitter
you should operate the transmitter 5 times.

9. If you are programming two transmitters you will operate one transmitter twice, and three times on the other.

NOTE: For five transmitters you will operate each transmitter once.
great fob programming info here. Thanks