XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda scary evening

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 12:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kinda scary evening

I live in the mountains, so my usual driving is on fun mountain roads. I was enjoying a spirited drive this evening when my brakes locked up and I started swerving. It was pretty nasty, but I managed to pull out of it without hitting anything. I saw that my oil pressure light had gone on and pressure was way down.
I pulled over and called a tow truck. Big oil puddle under the car. I don't know why the brakes went, but I'm wondering if an oil hose blew and the oil sprayed on the ABS sensors, causing the ABS to engage.
So - car is at the shop, and tomorrow I'll know what the damage is.
Fortunately, bot the car and I are all right.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Are you sure that something in the driveline didn't lock up. If the engine stops, the brakes would feel like they are locked, because there would be no assist.....Good luck.....Mike

Old 10-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by kesslari
Big oil puddle under the car. I don't know why the brakes went, but I'm wondering if an oil hose blew and the oil sprayed on the ABS sensors, causing the ABS to engage.
More likely, the oil spill coated your tires, causing some loss of traction, and prompting the ABS/Traction Control to do its job.

The oil cooler hoses in the lower front of the engine have been known to occasionally give up. This has been reported many times for the older 4.0 cars, and our 4.2 cars have an improved design with better crimping. Apparently, this new design is not a cure-all as mine was leaking a bit when I got the car. I changed it a few weeks back. Cheap and easy job, I hope this is what is going on with your car, too.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:59 PM

fmertz - you're correct, it was the oil cooler hose. And likely that the tires were sprayed by oil. New hose(s) going in on Wed, and once it's driveable we can check the brakes.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Hopefully you shut down and the low oil pressure caused no issues.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:52 PM

I pulled over and shut down as soon as I got out of the skid.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:05 PM

I'll pick up the car today. Oil cooler hoses replaced, fresh oil, and brakes cleaned.
Oil all over the engine compartment - it was suggested that I have it steam cleaned.
I read MrPlow's nightmare after washing his engine. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...urvive-149400/
Is steam cleaning anything I need to worry about? I know the shop has done Jags before.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Wipe it off some with plenty of towels,do not steam clean a jaguar or have it washed in the engine bay. Consider it a warning.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmmm i have seen this oil cooler line issue come up a few times, perhaps we should be changing these as preventative maintenance, considering how disastrous it can be. Is it the clamping mechanism that comes loose or the actual hose that is bursting?

Old 10-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

For my 2003 XK8, supposedly with the improved design, there was a small leak at the transition crimping between the aluminum pipe and the rubber hose. As you can visualize, the pipe comes off the engine, and the oil cooler is attached to the chassis, so some form of flexible connection is needed, hence the rubber part. The leak is where you would expect it to be, on the hose going _to_ the cooler, where the pressure and vibrations are the highest. The overall routing has this line go around the radiator, so it is made of 4 individual sections. From what I have read (and experienced on my car), only the first section seems to be troublesome.

To answer your question, I would venture that any sign of a leak should prompt a replacement. Besides the mess it does over time, I take it to mean the probability of a catastrophic failure is high.

Taking a step back, my understanding is that these pipes/hoses are made with hydraulic components (as in big hydraulics systems like excavator and forklifts). There are apparently shops out there that can make new or repaired components with the same fittings. Maybe these guys could provide more input on the life expectancy of a part like this. Or even supply a more durable part if provided with a template.

Separately, someone posted pictures once of a oil cooler bypass (a U-shaped tube, really) that fed the output back into the return. Seems like only some of the cars came from Jaguar with oil coolers, not all of them, so there is some logic to this bypass. I personally would not do it, but it is out there.

Altogether, this hose is less than $100 and easy to change. When it fails, it leaves you stranded, or much worse. We all have done replacement of critical components ahead of failure (think thermostat housing, etc. ). This one should be on that list, too, in my opinion, especially in the early cars.

PS: Tubes, Pipes and Hoses mentions this:
Hydraulic hose is graded by pressure, temperature, and fluid compatibility. Hoses are used when pipes or tubes can not be used, usually to provide flexibility for machine operation or maintenance. The hose is built up with rubber and steel layers. A rubber interior is surrounded by multiple layers of woven wire and rubber. The exterior is designed for abrasion resistance. The bend radius of hydraulic hose is carefully designed into the machine, since hose failures can be deadly, and violating the hose's minimum bend radius will cause failure. Hydraulic hoses generally have steel fittings swaged on the ends. The weakest part of the high pressure hose is the connection of the hose to the fitting. Another disadvantage of hoses is the shorter life of rubber which requires periodic replacement, usually at five to seven year intervals

Last edited by fmertz; 10-07-2015 at 09:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
waterloo (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
For my 2003 XK8, supposedly with the improved design, there was a small leak at the transition crimping between the aluminum pipe and the rubber hose. As you can visualize, the pipe comes off the engine, and the oil cooler is attached to the chassis, so some form of flexible connection is needed, hence the rubber part. The leak is where you would expect it to be, on the hose going _to_ the cooler, where the pressure and vibrations are the highest. The overall routing has this line go around the radiator, so it is made of 4 individual sections. From what I have read (and experienced on my car), only the first section seems to be troublesome.
That is precisely where the failure happened.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the info, I am thinking I will be changing these as a precaution eventually. So did you replace both the feed line and the return line? Do the new lines come with the necessary connectors or o rings or are those separate part numbers that can be re-used

Old 10-07-2015, 06:58 PM

I can't answer as to what the lines come with, as my mechanic did the work. It appears, though, that they come with both the hoses and the aluminum tubes to which they connect, so I'd suspect they come with connectors.
There are a total of 4 lines, he replaced 2 of them.
His comment seems to align with what fmertz said - that of the four hoses, the parts house had 9 of the first one in stock, and either one or none of each of the other three. That implies that they get a lot of orders for that first one, and not so much for the others.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by waterloo
Thanks for the info, I am thinking I will be changing these as a precaution eventually. So did you replace both the feed line and the return line? Do the new lines come with the necessary connectors or o rings or are those separate part numbers that can be re-used
The feed line is made out of 2 separate sections, same for the return line, 4 separate parts total. All these lines connect with screws that can be re-used. There are O-rings, too.

In my instance, I just changed the first feed line, and it came (sealed in a plastic bag) with just 1 O-ring, for the engine side. I had to find another O-ring for the other side. I guess that O-ring might come with the next section, but it is just speculation on my part.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

fmertz,

You had said you found the hoses cheap. My last estimate was about $400 for all four (which I thought was a bit of a bite). Do you have a source for more affordable ones?

My swivel joints have started leaking in the winter and I'd love to put new hoses in before it get frigid.

Thanks - Jim

Old 10-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scardini1
You had said you found the hoses cheap. My last estimate was about $400 for all four (which I thought was a bit of a bite). Do you have a source for more affordable ones?Thanks - Jim
I just changed one of them, the first one off the block, driver side. Turns out the site sponsor (SNG Barratt) had the better deal. About $80, from memory. There is a forum discount, which more or less covers shipping.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Thanks fmertz,

Looks like I'll give William at SNG a nod then. I have some other things on the back-burner that I'll pick up at the same time. I'll probably replace both hoses on the side leaking most now, and do the other two later. Most of the winter leaks are from the slip joints, but one of my hoses is a little moist from possible seepage.

I hadn't considered the safety aspect of blowing a hose, as Kess experienced. This definitely raises the priority.

The following users liked this post:
SNG Barratt USA (10-09-2015)