Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguars are so sensitive

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default Jaguars are so sensitive

Sometimes I think that Beth, my xk8, is truly female and sentient.

As you may have read, I bought her a companion, also female as I have decided to name her Kay for a real bitchy, bossy, redhead I dated many years ago. Kay had a way of making me do things I really didn't feel comfortable with, but did it anyway. Enough of that explanation...so, the first week at her new home, Kay gets to sit outside while I demo a small bathroom in my garage. This last weekend, I finished, and both girls can now fit in the garage together.

I also washed Kay really good, got into here fenderwell to fix the windscreen washer pump issue, and then thoroughly detailed the interior. Last night, I took off her mirror covers, and polished them up really good for their new owner in South Carolina. The xk8 remains waterspotted and dusty from my 2-week vacation.

I haven't used the new XJ as my daily driver just yet, I've been taking the xk8 every day. It must not have been enough, because today, Beth let me know her true feelings known.

She started up just fine, no indication of trouble. Its drizzling as I drive to work, and about 1/2 way there, my check engine light flashes at me..and I think, what the heck!?!? My BT obd2 scanner no longer works in this car (I think she intentionally did something to it a few days ago, as it was working before I left) so I could not check the code immediately with my phone. When I noticed my fuel mileage was suffering, I pulled off on the next exit, and realized she was missing very badly! Now, I had a spare coil in the boot, but no tools and no way to know which cylinder was misfiring...so I limped back home, about 12 miles, hoping that I didn't do any permenant damage on the way.

AutoEnginuity worked fine, and discovered my #8 cylinder was the culprit. A quick swap of the coil, check of the spark plug (just in case), and reassembled in an hour and started. Smooth as silk.

On the drive back to work, I found myself talking to the car...rubbing the dashboard, explaining how I had plans to get her transmission rebuilt - good as new, and that big gouge on her nose repaired soon. I explained that I was going to get her a nice soft cover to put around her when she's in the garage...that she was my first jaguar, and nothing was going to change that.

I stopped talking, shook my head a few times, and almost googled the nearest mental hospital on my phone. Anyone else care to admit to "a relationship" with your car? Or am I the only looney one?

Old 09-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

My Mother had a car that she called Betsy, and she used to talk to Betsy on occasion. (not a Jaguar)

I have always felt that my cars had some sort of personality, at least a certain way that they would respond to certain things that would be different than the way that some other car might.

In the past I pretty much always felt that my cars were masculine, not feminine, so I never really talked to them.

With my Jag, as long as she is not griping or complaining or giving me trouble, I am keeping my mouth shut.

On a side note, when I was a teenager there was a neighborhood dog that went all around that I knew quite well. One day, I was driving along a few blocks from home and saw him walking in someone's front yard. I blew the horn, called his name and waved to him. Then, realizing what I had done, I quickly looked around to see if anyone had seen me do that. He did look at me with a quizzical look on his face, but he did not wave back.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
Anyone else care to admit to "a relationship" with your car? Or am I the only looney one?
Your profile says you have been a forum member for years, so surely you already know there are one or two loonies that frequent this space. Count me in that number.

Last night I finished up a minor correction on the blue cat and caught myself patting her on the rear haunch while saying, "good job".

Old 09-14-2012, 03:33 PM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I do not gives names to cars or my bikes, but I have noticed that they all have their little idiosyncrasies. My truck (16 years old) has this odd habit of stalling at the first stop sign or trafiic light. Only once. After that, no problems. Both my children used the truck to go to school - now they know how to start a car quickly if you have to!

My Suzuki 1100, which is now 32 years old, has a few. If I don't drive it for more than a week, it will let me know the next time I get on it. And when it is below 60 degrees, forget about a smooth ride. It is like me, we have to warm up a little!

The Jag has behaved very well so far.. But it is the only car in the garage, and my garage has AC and heat. There is therfore no competition in the garage and it does not get hot or cold, and it gets pampered VERY frequently. Has to be female!!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Kevin D
I blew the horn, called his name and waved to him. Then, realizing what I had done, I quickly looked around to see if anyone had seen me do that. He did look at me with a quizzical look on his face, but he did not wave back.
That's classic. Don't feel bad, I actually do have to wave at my dog among other gestures since he's deaf. I hadn't really considered what my neighbors and people in my neighborhood really think I'm doing as I've been doing it now for 9 years...its just second nature to me. One commonality we share, he too refuses to wave back also.

@jag#4, I was just trying to help others confess On the 'haunch pat', try not to let your hand linger too long, it could be misconstrued by the car, or worse yet...onlookers!

Old 09-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

@jag#4, I was just trying to help others confess On the 'haunch pat', try not to let your hand linger too long, it could be misconstrued by the car, or worse yet...onlookers!
My wife has been suspicious for some time now.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

My wife calls out GPS unit Bossie Betty. It is always bossing us around.

JSC. I didn't that Suzuki made a 1100 in 1980. I have a 1980 GS1000G I bought new in 1980. Had to put new coils on her this last year. Makes a great difference starting.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

To me, our vehicles are just transportation. They each have their purpose, the two Jaguars are certainly the best-looking vehicles we've ever had, but they're just tools nonetheless. Anytime I find myself getting too attached, all I have to do is think of the money and time they cost me for acquisition/insurance/taxes/maintenance/repairs. That snaps me back to reality in a heartbeat....

Old 09-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

I'll confess to being one of those that gives machines names and associates personality traits with them.

In my case it goes beyond just the cars I own, I do the same thing with the machines I work with.

I think complex systems do have a personality, of sorts. Once you add up all the variation and tolerances for the individual components you really do get something that is unique and the way all those components work together is also unique.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I rub the two bulbous air vents on the dash of my lotus.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Jag#4
My wife has been suspicious for some time now.
My wife refers to her as "the mistress."

Old 09-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

You know, if you stop and think that the XKs are universally referred to as of the feminine gender, then that, in and of itself implies a certain "personality".
I guess it's the beauty factor.

For example, no one would call a Hemi Cuda a "she".

Old 09-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I have also found over the years that cars I have owned have certain personalities and can do things like drive great one day and not so much the next.

I firmly believe the 1963 Pontiac that was passed along to me by my parents when I first started driving had an evil mind. Some problem always seemed to pop up at the very worst time. Once was while leaving the Hollywood Bowl with my date (who became my wife) when the automatic transmission basically died. But the most egregious example of that car getting back at me was when I had found my dream car at the time (1970 Roadrunner) to replace the Pontiac. My almost-wife (we were engaged) and I had arranged to visit the dealer near LAX and he wanted to see the Pontiac to see what he can offer me (the Pontiac LOOKED pristine inside and out). Just before the freeway off ramp the car started to smoke and then there was a bang. We had to push the car to the nearby gas station and then walk to the dealer to look at the Roadrunner. I put down a deposit and he asked where the Pontiac was.

I told him what happened and we all went to the gas station to try and figure out what happened. I was hoping the car would start but no luck. The conclusion was blown head gasket with possibly other damage. He offered me about $50 out of the kindness of his heart. I swear that the Pontiac "knew" it was getting dumped and this was payback!

Doug

Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Sometimes I think that Beth, my xk8, is truly female and sentient.

As you may have read, I bought her a companion, also female as I have decided to name her Kay for a real bitchy, bossy, redhead I dated many years ago. Kay had a way of making me do things I really didn't feel comfortable with, but did it anyway. Enough of that explanation...so, the first week at her new home, Kay gets to sit outside while I demo a small bathroom in my garage. This last weekend, I finished, and both girls can now fit in the garage together.

I also washed Kay really good, got into here fenderwell to fix the windscreen washer pump issue, and then thoroughly detailed the interior. Last night, I took off her mirror covers, and polished them up really good for their new owner in South Carolina. The xk8 remains waterspotted and dusty from my 2-week vacation.

I haven't used the new XJ as my daily driver just yet, I've been taking the xk8 every day. It must not have been enough, because today, Beth let me know her true feelings known.

She started up just fine, no indication of trouble. Its drizzling as I drive to work, and about 1/2 way there, my check engine light flashes at me..and I think, what the heck!?!? My BT obd2 scanner no longer works in this car (I think she intentionally did something to it a few days ago, as it was working before I left) so I could not check the code immediately with my phone. When I noticed my fuel mileage was suffering, I pulled off on the next exit, and realized she was missing very badly! Now, I had a spare coil in the boot, but no tools and no way to know which cylinder was misfiring...so I limped back home, about 12 miles, hoping that I didn't do any permenant damage on the way.

AutoEnginuity worked fine, and discovered my #8 cylinder was the culprit. A quick swap of the coil, check of the spark plug (just in case), and reassembled in an hour and started. Smooth as silk.

On the drive back to work, I found myself talking to the car...rubbing the dashboard, explaining how I had plans to get her transmission rebuilt - good as new, and that big gouge on her nose repaired soon. I explained that I was going to get her a nice soft cover to put around her when she's in the garage...that she was my first jaguar, and nothing was going to change that.

I stopped talking, shook my head a few times, and almost googled the nearest mental hospital on my phone. Anyone else care to admit to "a relationship" with your car? Or am I the only looney one?
I have talked to my cars since I was a kid. I swear it works. Not to say that some cars are just Bitchy and will tear out your heart no matter how well you care for them or tell them you will take care of them etc.

Like real women, they will do what they will do and we will deal with it and move on or get rid of the Bitch. I have done that too.

I really do feel cars have a soul of sorts and if you are good to them, they will in turn be good to you .

So now who is the real Nut here?

Old 09-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

So now who is the real Nut here?
Less me, more you.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

I have to confess my talking to inanimate objects came to a screeching halt several years ago when my son was young. We were watching a football game together (Michigan vs. Colorado). I'm a rabid college football fan, and was on the final play of the game, the quarterback for the team I was cheering against made a terrific play to hit a player on the sideline for the winning touchdown.

I immediately bolted out of my chair and started yelling at the TV. "No way! Bad call! He was clearly out of bounds!!!" I looked down and my son was mimicking my behavior. That's an "OH CRAP" moment for a parent. After a moment, my son looked up at me - as only a 4 year old can do - and said, "Dad...I don't think they can hear you!"

I've never yelled at a TV, another driver, or any other inanimate object since. Lesson learned.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
I have to confess my talking to inanimate objects came to a screeching halt several years ago when my son was young. We were watching a football game together (Michigan vs. Colorado). I'm a rabid college football fan, and was on the final play of the game, the quarterback for the team I was cheering against made a terrific play to hit a player on the sideline for the winning touchdown.

I immediately bolted out of my chair and started yelling at the TV. "No way! Bad call! He was clearly out of bounds!!!" I looked down and my son was mimicking my behavior. That's an "OH CRAP" moment for a parent. After a moment, my son looked up at me - as only a 4 year old can do - and said, "Dad...I don't think they can hear you!"

I've never yelled at a TV, another driver, or any other inanimate object since. Lesson learned.
I still talk to the TV (rabid college football [and volleyball, man did we make too many mistakes against PSU] fan here too) Great choice of teams (I want to UNL)

I don't talk to the Jag very often, unless she is giving me problems. My girlfriends son (he's 2½) loves cars, but he only talks (and caresses) the Jag. He just loves it Someday I'll fit his car seat (that may be a challenge) and take him for a top down cruise.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:54 AM
Veteran member

Keith, let us know if he says anything about how loud your exhaust is. that'd be classic if he did.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Westra
I still talk to the TV (rabid college football [and volleyball, man did we make too many mistakes against PSU] fan here too) Great choice of teams (I want to UNL)

I don't talk to the Jag very often, unless she is giving me problems. My girlfriends son (he's 2½) loves cars, but he only talks (and caresses) the Jag. He just loves it Someday I'll fit his car seat (that may be a challenge) and take him for a top down cruise.
I've got mine all loaded up and ready to head to Lincoln for some tailgating tomorrow. You'd be surprised what that trunk and back seat will hold:

• Cooler
  • Grill
  • Tub of tailgating necessities
  • Food a plenty
  • Two pop-up chairs and...
  • A 5X8 red **** carpet for the "Red Carpet Lounge"!!!
I can't imagine anything better than cruising in the XK8 on a perfect fall day to a Husker game with a good buddy. We'll be grilling up some brats pre-game, enjoying a cake walk of a game with 85,000+ other fanatics, then letting the traffic clear out while we relive some highlights with the other folks that will meet us at our tailgate (Lot 21 - slide on by!), followed by a scenic tour home.

And yes, I'm a volleyball fan. My daughter plays both club and High School. She's a 6'1" outside hitter and has D1 potential. Probably not Nebraska level volleyball, but there are a lot of D1 volleyball programs to pick from. The Huskers will remain a force to be reckoned with in the B1G this year. Tough road loss, but a long season ahead.

GO BIG RED!

Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
You'd be surprised what that trunk and back seat will hold
Quite true.
On the way back from NC we had 4 medium suitcases/large totes (3 softsided) a case of wine, 6 wine glasses, a large ceramic tray, golf clubs (sans bag), SLR camera bag, and a newly acquired large hammered dulcimer (17/17/7 for any of those are of these things) and its stand. We had to leave the 2 chairs with umbrellas behind we brought to get the dulcimer home.