XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maybe a buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 06:35 AM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default maybe a buy

2000 xk8 110k. Mechanic friend acquired it for 500 junk price. The po had the heater hose blew out at the norma connector and said it did not overheat bad. "bad" is a relative term since I was not there.
Friend replaced the hose and aux pump. (not a jag mechanic)
Starting he gets a lot of misfire codes. Runs like crap.
He wants to sell it to me for 1000. Might be a good buy or could be a lawn ornament. Sheet metal is good, Top is good except not operational. I just did my lines so I am not concerned about that.
Seems that I read that when the heater hose blows it can mess up the major electrical connections in that neighborhood.
Car is triple black with a decent interior. headlights are clear and intact. Car is complete.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
My jag is a 2000 xk8 with 82 k miles. This might be a buy just for spare parts. But would like input.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:16 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

I would buy it. As you know, a hard reset may fix the problems. Even if it doesn't, you cannot buy THAT many spare parts for a grand....anywhere.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

If you buy it, disconnect the throttle body connections and clean, then remove the coils and clean and dry. If you have space it is a great spare, and you can always sell some parts.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

If it was me I would buy it. I would knock him down at least another $200 to $300. If it got hot and is running that bad I bet it dropped a few valve seats. See if you can do a compression test. One or more cylinders that are real low or zero might comfirm. Then you have to decide do you want to put a motor in it or part it out. You would get most of your money back in the headlights and front bumper.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRoy
If it was me I would buy it. I would knock him down at least another $200 to $300. If it got hot and is running that bad I bet it dropped a few valve seats. See if you can do a compression test. One or more cylinders that are real low or zero might comfirm. Then you have to decide do you want to put a motor in it or part it out. You would get most of your money back in the headlights and front bumper.
+1

Old 06-09-2016, 12:45 PM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRoy

Very true, I just spent $250 on a headlight and opted out to buying a $350 front bumper cover on eBay...

Old 06-09-2016, 02:18 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

I would buy it for a grand; a single part alone can cost that amount. There are so many threads on this site regarding cylinder misfires seemingly out of nowhere, only to find out that the owner had performed some type of maintenance which inadvertently allowed coolant exposure and contamination to the spark plugs and coil packs; oil has been reported on the spark plug boots from oil change and 'top up' spillage causing cylinder misfires.

A blown coolant hose certainly falls in this category as anywhere water can go, it will go. After a good cleaning, all misfires disappeared as quickly as they appeared. Which is a good possibility in this case. It would seem that some mechanics give up rather quickly when presented with a problem, that on a 'regular car', would have been corrected by replacing the failed parts alone, and they have hit the 'Jaguar Wall' and are stumped because everything should be working, but is not, and end up with additional problems on top of the original. Not knowing the quirks, and in's and out's of these cars is the downfall and eventual surrender, just to get rid of the car, when all it needed was some specific cleaning.

Either way, for the price it is a win for the parts alone, and parting it out would yield substantially more than you would have invested.

Last edited by 03 XKR; 06-10-2016 at 01:17 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 06-09-2016, 02:25 PM

Just out of curiosity, where is the car located? (twisting mustache)

Just kidding, but if you do pass, I may be quite a bit more interested.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:03 PM
Default maybe I will

I will not try too beat down the mechanic that has the car. He is a friend and a customer of mine. I sell aftermarket automotive parts. Wish I had a 2 car garage. Then it would be a no brainer. It does have nice wheels and tires as well. Think I will buy and see if I can resurect it. If the engine is shot then i guess you will see parts for sale in the member marketplace.
Thanks for all the input.
Denny

Old 06-10-2016, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by dennysjag
I will not try too beat down the mechanic that has the car. He is a friend and a customer of mine. I sell aftermarket automotive parts. Wish I had a 2 car garage. Then it would be a no brainer. It does have nice wheels and tires as well. Think I will buy and see if I can resurect it. If the engine is shot then i guess you will see parts for sale in the member marketplace.
Thanks for all the input.
Denny
It sounds like a good deal for all involved. He makes a little, you get some good parts, you possibly make a little, and others save cash buying good used parts. If you can't resurrect it of course.

I like when cars get parted out because they help lots of people save their cars, and their money.

If I had the space, I'd probably be parting out this beautiful XK8 I saw locally.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Default po cooked the motor

0 compression left bank. Looking for a motor. Looks like doing the heads is 14 labor hours and engine swap is 14.7
Valves are expensive and there are lots of them. Does anyone have a good aj 27 they want to sell? Hate to break this one apart.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:51 AM

I thought loss of compression was contributed to 'bore/cylinder wash' in the earlier vehicles. It can occur as the result of starting the car, then immediately shutting it down before it can completely warm up, due to the fuel injected at start up this can scrub the cylinder walls of oil, leaving a lack of compression. Something that may have been done several times to avoid further overheating when working on the car. There is a procedure for removing each spark plug and pouring oil into each cylinder to re-establish compression. I am not sure if it would apply to your specific situation, but it is definitely something to check before breaking the engine apart.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Default thrashing machine

When i started it before cam cover removal it sounded like a coffee can with rocks in it beig shaken. Would barely run. Pass side bank has compression so my assumption is the valve seats dropped from the overheat and bent the valves on the driver side bank.
Thanks for your thoughts

The following users liked this post:
03 XKR (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

I sure hope you don't break it down for parts. I hate to see car with good body and interior parted out. I can understand it if they have been in a wreck.
I have a AJ27 but I want to keep it for myself. Too bad we are cross country from each other, I be willing to buy it so it can be put back on the road again.

My suggestion would be to find a XK8 or a XJ8, 99 to 03, that has been in a wreck or has transmission issues.

Good luck.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Default dont have room for another car

I found a wreck 2 hours away.1999 front end hit totalled. 115 k on motor. could have bought it for about 600 but I do not have space for a wreck. and its always a gamble if you cant hear it run. I am going to keep my eyes open and something good will happen.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Default dont have room for another car

I found a wreck 2 hours away.1999 front end hit totalled. 115 k on motor. could have bought it for about 600 but I do not have space for a wreck. and its always a gamble if you cant hear it run. I am going to keep my eyes open and something good will happen.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Do the Jaguar specialties LSx conversion which comes with a 6sp manual conversion now.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Default ls1 conversion

Dont think I want to spend 6 k converting when i can spend 3 k fixing and get my money back with a profit.
Besides I like the jag v8. the only thing wrong with them are the owners that neglect them.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Go For It.