XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mina Gallery (Exhaust/Super Charger Pulley/Air intake) review

Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Miami XKR
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I made the same 3 modifications. I love it!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dyno results on a Hot Air Intake like mina's wouldn't reveil much, but try driving for a while in warm weather and see how hot the enginebay temps get. Nothing compared to a few back to back dyno runs with open hood/fans. Specially on supercharged cars, intake temperatures are killers.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

I have two of the three modifications. Chris @ Mina mentioned there would not be a performance gain with the intake so I decided against it. What I'd really like to find is the intake on the attached picture, in fact the whole engine compartment is a piece of art, cheers to the person that created it! As far as the intake goes does anyone know if it is totally custom or is there someone producing this somewhere. It appears to be a cold air intake but all I have is this picture. Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Mina Gallery (Exhaust/Super Charger Pulley/Air intake) review-engine.jpg  

Last edited by MarcB; 08-10-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarcB
It appears to be a cold air intake but all I have is this picture. Anyone have any ideas?

Where is the intake? I just see the 4 inch pipe leading off to...somewhere. Does it just mount flush to the wheel well? That would be smart, but you'd have to control what gets sucked up...if it's production, I might send back my Mina one...just saying...

Dave

Old 08-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Marc I remember last Sunday at the Morning Coffee meet you said your MPG got significantly better with your new exhaust compared to stock... can you remind me what figures you're seeing?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:49 PM

I used to get an average of about 18 MPG now with all the modifications I am getting 24 MPG on a regular basis, and I drive it pretty hard.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by MarcB
I used to get an average of about 18 MPG now with all the modifications I am getting 24 MPG on a regular basis, and I drive it pretty hard.
Wow - that's honestly pretty impressive! My biggest complaint thus far about my XKR is that it seems to drink fuel like it's going out of style...my 2003 4.2 S-Type averaged over 30mpg (I made it from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD, through NYC, on one tank of gas!)

Combined with the fact that the exhaust note with the factory exhaust is nothing short of whimpy...I am even more sold on getting the Mina exhausts. Do you think that it's mostly the Mina exhaust, or is it those in addition to the X pipe?

And...did you experience much additional hp gain with the new SC pulley? I changed out all the pullies in my last car (non-Jag) and even though a lot of people swore by doing that, my "seat of the pants" dyno-test was less than impressed...I really didn't feel any gains from the $700 that it cost me for the parts and installation...

Dave

Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dave S
...Do you think that it's mostly the Mina exhaust, or is it those in addition to the X pipe?
I believe it is mostly due to the Mina - the main reason for this is the stock over the axle design is very restrictive. However there are other factors at play too. The basics really: a good alignment, proper brake maintenance, tire pressures and a K&N air filter (I know there are debates about this but please save your comments everyone). Also, I am no aerodynamacist but, the car is lowered which may help with wind resistance on the underside of the car and the exposed part of the tires. I am totally theorizing here but it makes sense to me on long highway runs.

...And...did you experience much additional hp gain with the new SC pulley?
I had the pulley put on at the same time as the exhaust and suspension so it was hard to tell if there was any direct impact on HP, my seat of the pants say no but it was never on a dyno for before and after runs. I will say the power band was lowered a bit because boost is generated faster however it is still limited by the Eaton's design.

Side note - I put the Jaguar XP (now Mina Gallery) mods on over 4 years ago and everything is still holding together well. Chris was a pleasure to work with and gave me a great deal on a package of the springs, exhaust, pulley and the K&N filter.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Mina Intake kit on my STR and you can feel a huge difference when compared to your stock airbox, how do I know this well let me put it this way MORE AIR = MORE POWER and of course MORE GAS too since the ECU will adjust too, now I installed the intake kit in my shop, and of course its always better to remove the battery to reset the ECU with the different air intake volume it will be sensing, so I use the car and I really didnt feel much of a difference after a couple of days using it, me and the boys got to talking about HEAT SOAK inside the engine bay which of course WILL affect the engine performance since HOT AIR = LESS POWER, so after a hard drive with the STR I opened the hood and held the air filter of the MINA KIT and it was freaking HOT almost burned my hand I held the heat shield that came with the kit and that was even worse, super hot, thats how hot it gets in the STR's engine bay, so I took off the kit and returned the original airbox, so after using the STR with the MINA KIT for a few weeks as I said I didnt feel like it added some power but guess what, so now I have the Stock airbox on the car, and from my usual way of driving and stepping on the gas pedal I felt a HUGE DIFFERENCE on the RESPONSE of the car on accelaration, it felt so DELAYED compared to when the MINA KIT was on, you guys can try this yourself, get yourself so used to driving with the MINA KIT then put the stock air box on and you will definitely feel the huge delay in throttle response specially when you floor it, you will feel a huge delay in throttle response. So I decided to return the MINA KIT on my STR BUT how do I solve or reduce the HEAT SOAK in the engine bay, simple solution is wrap all the intake lines, all the plastic ducts and specially the HEAT SHEILD that comes with the MINA KIT with ALUMINUM FOIL used for insulating and deflecting heat from airconditioning ducts for homes and bldgs, it has adhesive on one side so its very easy to wrap all the parts where the air intake goes thru all the way to the throttle body, the purpose of this exercise is to deflect the radiated heat from the engine bay, so after completely insulating every air duct and the Heat Shield with this heat deflecting/insulating foil, I drive the car hard like before, we open the hood and I hold the air filter, and guess what it was WARM but not BURNING HOT like the first time I installed it, and yes the cars throttle response was instant, no more delayed reaction after you press the accelerator, you floor the pedal the car jumps instantly, so there you go , do not take my word for it TRY THIS YOURSELF and I promise you will feel the difference, you can buy the heat deflecting/insulating tape in any home depot, why do you think they sell this heat deflecting foils for the racing car industry, they even have it in gold foil, look at some photos of the MACLAREN engine bay and you will find a lot of gold foil to deflect the heat off, you can read their deflection rating and mind you its the SILVER foil that has a higher heat defelction rating compared to the GOLD foil but some racers like the GOLD bling I guess LOL. I hope I was able to help my fellow Jaggers

Old 09-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,980 Likes on 2,123 Posts

tntjag, thanks for posting this! I had all but eliminated the Mina Intake from consideration, but now I might give it a try with insulation.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem glad to be of help in clearing up some questions about the Mina Gallery Intake Kit

Old 09-20-2010, 02:03 AM

Is your Mina exhaust a cat-back system, or rear boxes, or what? We installed a Borla cat-back system on my XJR on a friend's hoist, stainless mandrel bent pipes, pretty nice. I also put in an induction kit, nothing too special, just a big cone filter, oiled K & N type, with a heat shield, removing the stock air box and the rubber gasket/moulding from the fender opening. It all just sits in front of the mass air flow sensor, though I did hear that the computer will re-set itself after a bit. The exhaust is a great add on though, maybe just a little less restrictive than stock, not too sure, though the sound difference is nice. For sure the car is much peppier and more responsive, it would be. No dynos though. I think fuel consumption went down pretty significantly. No supercharger mods though. Anyone know if the snout rebuild kits are worth the effort?

Old 06-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is the intake? I just see the 4 inch pipe leading off to...somewhere. Does it just mount flush to the wheel well? That would be smart, but you'd have to control what gets sucked up...if it's production, I might send back my Mina one...just saying...

Dave
Hey checkout my photos in my profile and you ll see where the intake is I have the same top intake tube as that one I made the bottom half myself it is a 3.5 inch tube I also have an inlet from the bottom of the car that cant be seen in the pictures.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pics, please

Interested in pics of the wrapping of the intake - I have the three Mina components. Is that worth it?

Old 07-01-2011, 05:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you can see it this is with the wheel well cover off. The only addition Ive made to that is that Ive put a vent opening at the bottom underneith of the bumper to let it suck more air.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I also have a 2004 Jaguar XKR and the previous owner installed the Mina supercharger pulley upgrade and the under axle exhaust. Now I am looking at the Mina Performance Air Intake Tube. I know that Mina provides a connection on the intake tube for the right side breather hose, but where does the driver side breather hose connect? Thank you.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 148 Posts

shortly I will put the photos of my new 90mm suction system insulated with dynamic air intake naca in the bonnet and insulated airbox not contaminated by the heat of the engine.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:58 AM
Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by User 070620
shortly I will put the photos of my new 90mm suction system insulated with dynamic air intake naca in the bonnet and insulated airbox not contaminated by the heat of the engine.
Any pictures?