New Jaguar Owner needs advice

Old 08-30-2015, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jaguar Owner needs advice

Just acquired a beautiful 2001 XKR convertible with 33,000 miles on it
Took it to my local dealer for a service 10 days ago
30,000 mile inspection
oil change
told me brake fluid needed to be flushed (understandable it's 15 yrs old)
couple other little things

BUT

yesterday, low oil pressure light comes on
engine shuts down
checked the dipstick there is absolutely no oil
no apparent leaks
did they forget to put new oil in??

any idea of what possible damage could have been done?

help please

Old 08-30-2015, 05:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,760 Likes on 12,149 Posts

Welcome to the forum niner nellie,

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center to XK8/XKR forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 08-30-2015, 05:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Certainly sounds like they screwed up, I would asking them to tow it at their expense and survey any damage, at their expense

Old 08-30-2015, 06:20 PM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Had you been driving it for 10 days before it happened??

Old 08-30-2015, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by cheaperts
Certainly sounds like they screwed up, I would asking them to tow it at their expense and survey any damage, at their expense
+1

Old 08-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

How many miles had you driven after the service at the dealer? Does not sound good, sorry for your issues, nothing like getting all the red licked off your candy.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:27 AM
Default Thanks

drove it approx 200 mi over the 10 day period

love the "losing the red off my candy" comment, I'm juts concerned about what permanent damage may have occurred.....what test should I insist the dealership do to verify what (if any) damage was done???

Old 08-31-2015, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Sounds like one of two things, ensure you're not leaking by the filter (if they changed it) you can search the forums and find how to get to it, it may not leak on the floor since it's covered by the lower plastic guard. The other is you said local dealer? Jaguar? A non Jaguar may have not understood what the capacity was even though they should be checking with the stick. You would have known right off if there had been no oil, you'd never get to 200 miles.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:21 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

You might also consider having a "third party expert" (a mechanic or the tow truck driver at the very least) verify your oil dip stick reading. Point being that if this gets back to the dealership (assuming this was a dealership that performed the service) you never know what they may do to avoid a claim (like fill it with oil and tell you that you miss-read the dip stick).

As an aside: Years ago I had a neighbor in Connecticut that took his brand new Lexus in for it's first oil change. Picked it up and drove on towards LaGuardia Airport for a trip. The car shut down (like you described) in route. No oil. Dealership claimed it had oil in it. Came down to the tow truck driver confirming no oil - for him ultimately to get covered. FYI interestingly they never put a new motor in - they just gave him a lifetime warranty on the engine. To my knowledge he drove the car for years and never had any problems with it.... Once they actually did put oil in it.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:46 AM
Default Thanks Everyone

Y'all have been quite helpful, but the mystery of the missing oil was found and it wasn't the dealers fault, apparently there is this wonderful device called an oil cooler located right in front of and near the bottom of the radiator, I ran over something and it damaged the oil cooler........a very short drive later low oil pressure light goes on......engine goes off.......and I get the less than great news that she's dead

According to the dealer, the engine is toast, I have had this beautiful machine for less than 60 days and now this......it literally is making me ill

Any suggestions from here....??
Used engine?
Re-built engine?
New engine doesn't exist
The rest of the car is in perfect shape

Any and all advice appreciated

Attached Thumbnails New Jaguar Owner needs advice-oil-cooler-under-grille.png   New Jaguar Owner needs advice-oil-cooler.png  
Old 09-01-2015, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member

Man that SUCKS!

I've always said if my engine let go I'd do a LS1 conversion.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:12 AM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Shouldn't the oil cooler be protected by the plastic skirt below the radiator?

Old 09-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johns55
Shouldn't the oil cooler be protected by the plastic skirt below the radiator?
His oil cooler appears to have been relocated......

Old 09-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you asked your insurance company if damage due to an apparent collision with an unknown object is covered under your policy?

Old 09-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by bakntyme
Have you asked your insurance company if damage due to an apparent collision with an unknown object is covered under your policy?
This is a very good point. Your damaged engine was not due to a mechanical failure, it was caused by collision with a road hazard. That is what collision insurance is for. Depending upon your specific policy, it might well be covered just like you would be covered if you ran into a deer that jumped out in front of you and damaged your car. You need to call your insurance company and at least file a claim to see what happens. It may be no different than needing a new engine after getting in a wreck. Of course, depending upon the cost involved, they may say that your car is totaled, but then, at least you will get a good bit of your money back. My best friend ran his 2002 XK8 off of the road and into a ditch in about 2004. He had paid about $45,000 for it a few months before that. You could not even see any damage when looking at it, but when he brought it into the shop they told him that the frame was bent and that the engine and transmission were out of line and could not be repaired. They totaled it and gave him the book value for it.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

About 1 year ago, I was driving home from a charity golf tournament in Santa Barbara to Los Angeles, late in the evening and on a very poorly lit portion of the 101 freeway in Ventura, I ran over something that went across the entire lane. Apparently another car in front of me had also run over it and was pulled over to the side. I continued to the next exit, got under the car and had to rip the lower valance off to be able to continue home. I reported it to my insurance agent and she submitted a claim. I didn't hold out too much hope, but to my surprise, Mercury Insurance and their adjuster covered the repair, OVER $7000 WORTH OF DAMAGE under the car! Try your insurance, can't hurt tryin'.