XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passengers door open

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default passengers door open

My 2002 XK8 has a red light on dash and reading : Passengers door open. The window is down 1/2 inch like it is when you open the door. I had battery tested and the battery is good, I re-set the window up and down ten seconds and window continues to cycle down 1/2 inch and up sometimes. The red safety light in the passengers door also stays on. Any
ideas on what could be the cause?? Thanks.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Bad news... It sounds like the microswitch in the door latch is bad. I don't think anyone has been able to find a replacement microswitch. If you take it to the dealer they will tell you that they need to replace the entire latch assemble, which will cost you $500 to $1000, all for a silly little $1 microswitch.

I have the opposite problem on my driver's door right now. When I open the door the switch doesn't activate, therefor it doesn't hold the window down and I don't get the door ajar warning on the dash. I bought a replacement latch on eBay for $10, but I haven't installed it yet. I had the bad latch out a few months ago to see if I could replace the microswitch, but it's not an easy job, especially if you have big hands.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default some good news

The door open/closed switch on both the doors of my 2003 XKR convertible are bad. I did find an almost exact replacement switch and installed it in the passenger side door latch and it all works like new. I will do a step-by-step document when I replace the switch on the driver's side.

Reverend Sam; you say you bought a replacement latch assembly. If you send me the old one I'll take it apart and see if I can get a replacement switch for the other microswitch; the "door handle pull" microswitch.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by DrDSP
The door open/closed switch on both the doors of my 2003 XKR convertible are bad. I did find an almost exact replacement switch and installed it in the passenger side door latch and it all works like new. I will do a step-by-step document when I replace the switch on the driver's side.

Reverend Sam; you say you bought a replacement latch assembly. If you send me the old one I'll take it apart and see if I can get a replacement switch for the other microswitch; the "door handle pull" microswitch.
Thanks DrDSP I will look for your next document.
Rev Sam I think I really made a boo-boo. Since all my interior lights were staying on (because the car thinks the passenger door is open) I disconnected the battery in the trunk. Problem is, I closed the trunk. The key does not open the trunk (both black ones). So it must be electronic. My question is Were can I put jumpercables on my XK8 so that I can get
12V into the system so the trunk will open. I can't find anywhere to connect jumper cables under the hood.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Your key should open the boot no matter what the condition of the battery. It is a mechanical link. Unless someone has tampered with that linkage. There is a "hot spot" under the bonnet on driver side. You can temp attach an external 12v to it and to ground and that should power it enough to open the boot.

If you have found a replacement micro switch, then you have found the elusive holly grail! Please tell us where you found it and it's part number.

The following users liked this post:
AlexXK8 (02-12-2011)
Old 02-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Uh Oh!!! Now you need to cut open the trunk with a torch. Sorry.

Just kidding! There's a jumper point under the hood. On the left side near the fender there's a fuse box. On the newer ones there is a little rubber cap on one corner of the fuse box. That's the + terminal for the red wire. On older XK8s it might actually be under the plastic cover of the fuse box. Connect the negative wire (black) to any exposed bolt connected to the chassis.

Attached Thumbnails passengers door open-jumper-point.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
AlexXK8 (02-12-2011)
Old 02-12-2011, 05:14 PM

Thanks Buddy!!!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

dont you have the hidden 'manual' key-lock inside the XK8 badge on the back...its hidden.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

This is what h20boy is referring to. The black keys should work, it's just the green key that doesn't open the trunk. I assumed that you had tried that already. Another member had a problem where the link between the key and the latch was broken, I was thinking that maybe you were having the same problem.

Attached Thumbnails passengers door open-trunk-key-hole.jpg  
Old 02-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I recently worked on a door latch and replaced one of the micro switches with a switch that was suitable but found out a replacement switch was available from Jagbits.com stock # C2N1908 for around $26.00. See my link on the door latch http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...r%20Switch.pdf

I hope this helps!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
This is what h20boy is referring to. The black keys should work, it's just the green key that doesn't open the trunk. I assumed that you had tried that already. Another member had a problem where the link between the key and the latch was broken, I was thinking that maybe you were having the same problem.

Yeah, my trunk will not open with the key.Got into the trunk today using the jumper cables. I hooked up the battery to see if the passengers door switch was still telling my inteior to leave all the lights on. Yesterday after I disconnected the battery I sprayed electronic cleaner into the interior door lever area and sprayed WD40 into the latch area. Maybe it fixed it short term but it all works today. All I did was reprogram the windows and I'm "passengers door open" free...free at last....free at last. Now I'll do a search on this great forum to see how to fix my trunk key operation. Thanks again for all the help.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

I bet the little lever was just stuck. The electronic cleaner lubricated it enough to allow it to move again. You might want to spray some actual lubricant in there.

You also might want to find out why the key isn't working in the trunk latch. Another member got completely locked out of the trunk a while back and spent weeks trying to figure out how to get into it without cutting through sheet metal. To make matters worse, his battery was dead and he couldn't even open the trunk with jumper cables under the hood. His car was undriveable.