XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Seat Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Power Seat Wiring

Hello all. I have a memory controlled driver's seat. I have been able to get most functions working. Now I'm down to one last issue -- the seat bottom up/down.

I have the electrical schematic for my model year. I have verified proper operation for the switches on the side of the seat. I can hear the relay clicking when up or down are selected.

I removed the seat. I removed the seat motors. I used a small battery to bench test the motors, and observed each capable of rotating clockwise and counter clockwise.

Now I'm stuck. I'm guess the problem is somewhere between the relay output of the seat module, and the wiring up to the up/down seat motors.

Does anybody have a suggestion what to try next?

Very respectfully, Bob G.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Check the output at the module when the up and down modes are selected. I can't remember now, but is there any sensors to tell the motor to stop when it's reached the extents of travel.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Grisar
Does anybody have a suggestion what to try next?
Have you tried swapping the driver and passenger modules? Check if the problems are moving with the module. Typically, these modules fail and need to be repaired.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:49 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a similar issue with my seat,
I have tried a hard reset, but that didn't work.
On there fourm member sent me a seat switch, however it's the early style. I don't know if it's going to cause any problems testing it.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by BlooDSMeaR
I have a similar issue with my seat,
I have tried a hard reset, but that didn't work.
On there fourm member sent me a seat switch, however it's the early style. I don't know if it's going to cause any problems testing it.
Hello BlooDSMear:

I know a little about the seat switch. They are very simple devices. Pin 9 on the seat switch connector is where the switch received +12V. The other eight wires on the connector route the +12V from the seat switch to the seat controller module. These are the cushion up/down, seat back tilt fwd/back, seat fwd/back, and lumbar in/out. Doesn't matter what generation the seat switch comes from. It's up to the controller module (or wiring) that simultaneously sends voltage and ground to the 2-wires on the seat motor.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I switched the switch, for a known good switch and there was no joy. Some time tonight. I'll pull the seat and manualy send power to the motor. Once I get it up to where the car is drivable, Ill disable the movement all together by pulling the seat module.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Default How to make it work

You sound pretty handy. Here is something for you to consider. I pulled the seat. Two connectors. One has 2 wires - per and ground. Other is everything else. With seat out leaning upside down on chair, removed clips on two small shafts that hold up/down motor. Pulled small 5- wire connector. With motor on bench, used small 12v battery from lawnmower. learned two thicker wires to motor are the answer. When connected +/- motor turns cw. When battery reversed turns ccw. So if you get a double throw switch from radio shack or other, just directly wire + and - to motor and switch. That will bypass everything else and raise/ lower seat bottom