Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-Purchase Advice: 2004 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Pre-Purchase Advice: 2004 XK8

Hi all,
A family friend has a 2004 XK8 vert with only 39k. He is willing to sell to me for a reasonable price and has babied the thing...it was his wife's country club car, never driven in the winter and they are the second owner- purchased when it was two years old.

Since this second year using the 4.2, I know we already eliminate common issues such as tensioners and such found on early 4.0. There is one button on each of the seat controls that doesn't work, but other than that, the car is immaculate and seems to be electronically sound. Is there anything I should be worried about as far as "key" problem items on the car for this year and mileage span? I am a younger guy and this would be my "stupid" (but such a sexy) purchase before I settle down. Would love to hear your thoughts.

The following users liked this post:
uncle jim (04-13-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

the car is old low miles or not. Common issues on these is the front end suspension. Sway bar bushings and end links. Upper control arm bushings, upper and lower shock mounts. For some the springs and shocks can start sagging. From center of wheel to top of wheel arch should be 15.5 inches I think.
Again even though you have low miles the cooling system is old and the many cooling hoses in the system can be old. Water pump, T-stat housing.
This car clearly has been sitting A LOT and if you put it into more of a daily driver you can count on some repairs coming up.
I would just keep an eye on the cooling system as you start to drive it if you get it. leaks on the cooling system typically start around the Tstat housing, the resivor tank seams, there is a hose that goes from pass side to drivers side behind the motor, the octopus hose, at the connections on the left and right side, specially the plastic T at the drivers side connection right below the resivor, that is a weak spot. Just watch it all as you start driving it if you buy.
You may want to check and see it the battery is new or not if the past owner knows. If they don't know get it LOAD tested, free at any car parts place, should test out at 12.5 volts, anything below can make any of the MANY electronic components on the car act odd with the windows losing their settings as one of the first signs of a weak battery. The car will start all the time and run fine with a weak battery, you will just see odd stuff not work, lose memory setting, etc.
Everyone here will agree and tell you that it is IMPORTANT to drive these cars. For what ever stupid reason they have less issues when maintained and driven. You can find many threads here where you see "it ran fine when I parked it SIX months ago, now this..."
But the weak parts on these after being around all these years now is lousy front suspension rubber and the cooling system parts just failing from being old and in your case sitting around then all the sudden used more often.
Keep her maintained and she will treat you right.
More so with the 97-2002 models because of the tensioner issues, less miles does not always mean less issues.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

I am in SW ohio. You?

I have more miles but mine is for sale, now at 8900.00. Has many more miles but I have fixed a LOT of future issues for folks like you just starting in on these cars. I have a few quirks about the car but a good runner

2003 Jaguar XK8 --TRADE 4 OLD CAR

Old 04-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

They are old cars, so things will break. Go into it with that mindset, and you will remain sane. It has taken me over a year to realize this, and am just coming off of my tranquilizers. Electrically, these cars can be nightmares, but I love mine anyway.......My 2 cents......Mike

Old 04-06-2016, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

You have to be willing to do work yourself. taking to shops will cost ya an arm and a leg and you will be like screw this car and move on. I have owned two over the last 8 years. Been times they sat for a few months till I could afford a repair I could not do and just did not have the money to do myself right away.
I was scared to death of these cars, last years took the complete intake fuel rails, TB components all off to replace the valley hoses. 5 years ago i would have NEvER done that but I did, it is simple stuff in taking it off. Took my time, had the right tools and online manuals and help from here to put it all back and she is running like new.
I should have done my own front end work, but I had the money and was LAZY so I paid someone. ha ha ha

Old 04-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

I will say it again here. If you own a 97 model, go ahead and send out the ECM to be tested that it is ok if now ASI can rebuild it for like 250 bucks and that will bypass a LOT of issues that model year can have making you think the car is freaking out on you.
When I had my 97 when my ECU went bad I had several warning lights that came about in a weeks time, just made no sense, new about the ECU issue, sent it out, got it back, put it on and all was good again.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:50 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure to run the top up and down a few times. The cycle time should be under 20 seconds. Look for leaks at the curtesy light above your head and in front of the rear wheels, either location could indicate an impending hose failure.
Pete
2004 XKR Portfolio

Old 04-12-2016, 07:05 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

kirkls, you did not mention if this will be your daily driver or a fun in the sun car. If you plan on being a daily driver you need to have mechanical ability or good deal of $$ for someone else to do repairs. Most complicated new vehicles will take more care than the average to keep on the road as they age. That being said, as long as the price is a good one, I'd give it a go. Jags are a fun car to drive. Local car shows on weekends are another joy, or you could resell her at a show. Good Luck Rich

Old 04-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

+1 on advice given above. Also see the below thread and doc put together by fellow forum member vanremog - excellent info/advice for 2003-2005 MY's

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-owner-99500/

As this is your first post, please stop by the new member section and post an intro - in return, you will receive a warm welcome and some useful tips for navigating the forum

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

enjoy!

Old 04-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts

I have the same car, 2004 XK8 vert. Switch that doesn't do anything on the seat is probably the headrest raise and lower. First thing I fixed on mine using directions I found on this forum. Mine is a canadian car with 108,000 miles and working on her is half the fun. I tell everyone that expresses as interest in owning the car, I wouldn't have it if I couldn't fix it. Get yourself an ELM 327 and Torque Pro.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by reb1999
kirkls, you did not mention if this will be your daily driver or a fun in the sun car. If you plan on being a daily driver you need to have mechanical ability or good deal of $$ for someone else to do repairs. Most complicated new vehicles will take more care than the average to keep on the road as they age. That being said, as long as the price is a good one, I'd give it a go. Jags are a fun car to drive. Local car shows on weekends are another joy, or you could resell her at a show. Good Luck Rich
This will just be a fun car! Purely a summer ride and stored in the winter time. But she would be stored in my parents garage so I can still give her a start and back her out just to turn the engine over every so often. Mostly will drive locally or the occasional two hour trip. Nothing crazy. Does that change your thoughts at all?

Old 04-12-2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wcsteam
Make sure to run the top up and down a few times. The cycle time should be under 20 seconds. Look for leaks at the curtesy light above your head and in front of the rear wheels, either location could indicate an impending hose failure.
Pete
2004 XKR Portfolio
Thanks a lot!

Old 04-12-2016, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by daro31
I have the same car, 2004 XK8 vert. Switch that doesn't do anything on the seat is probably the headrest raise and lower. First thing I fixed on mine using directions I found on this forum. Mine is a canadian car with 108,000 miles and working on her is half the fun. I tell everyone that expresses as interest in owning the car, I wouldn't have it if I couldn't fix it. Get yourself an ELM 327 and Torque Pro.
How long have you owned? I found a shop that specializes in jag that I plan to have a PPI done. $100 for one sounded reasonable and well worth it! Only thing wrong with one I'm looking at that I can tell is exactly what you mention, headrest adjustment on driver seat

Old 04-12-2016, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by kirkls
How long have you owned? I found a shop that specializes in jag that I plan to have a PPI done. $100 for one sounded reasonable and well worth it! Only thing wrong with one I'm looking at that I can tell is exactly what you mention, headrest adjustment on driver seat
Another question- I am moderately handy on cars but no expert. Have you found working on them to be doable or a bit of a nightmare??

Old 04-13-2016, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

You will find this forum has covered almost any issue that has occurred on a XK at some point with tips and directions on how to trouble shoot. There is also the Jag JTIS (technical service pub) you can install on a computer to find factory service details. If you have a decent set of tools you'll be able to cover most items that come up. You DO need to buy a OBDII reader, many here use a ELM bluetooth adapter that will interface with the Torque APP (android). This will provide you with codes as well as real time information, codes will be the first thing we ask for when you post a issue (most times).

I suggest you read the DIY sticky and see what some of the fixes are like to familiarize your self.

Good Luck.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:17 AM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default How hard to work on?

Another question- I am moderately handy on cars but no expert. Have you found working on them to be doable or a bit of a nightmare??
In answer to your other question, I have owned the car since November of 2014, spent the first winter just replacing fluids, belts, and hoses that I did not know the history of. And lots of time polishing and waxing. Last summer I put 15000 uneventful km's on her with 2 long trips.
Working on them is of course doable, depending on you mechanical experience and fascilities. I have a large heated garage for working on her in the winter and a fairly complete tool set. As well I grew up helping my Dad who was a mechanic work on anything with wheels and I have always worked in new vehicle manufacturing so a car spread out all over the garage doesn't make me nervous. Your experience may very. With a good floor jack, strong jack stands a basic set of metric tools, a fair vocabulary of swear words and this forum I think almost anyone with some mechanical skills could fix the common problems. This past winter my project was to rebuild the rear suspension, not because anything was wrong other than a shock bushing, but because it is a 13 year old car and I want to stay ahead of it. Suspension came out without breaking anything, all sandblasted powder coated and reassembled with all new bushings. All back in without breaking anything; I took it for her first drive last night and nothing fell off. Do the headrest fix first and you will have confidence to take on anything. Good Luck!

Old 04-13-2016, 08:22 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts
Default I'd go for it...

Yes, not being a daily driver I'd go for it. These cars do like to run, however not the greatest in some weather condition, snow, rain. They are a pleasure to drive and look sharp ( shark) Rich

This will just be a fun car! Purely a summer ride and stored in the winter time. But she would be stored in my parents garage so I can still give her a start and back her out just to turn the engine over every so often. Mostly will drive locally or the occasional two hour trip. Nothing crazy. Does that change your thoughts at all?

Old 04-27-2016, 12:55 PM
Default Rear suspension

Hi all,
A family friend has a 2004 XK8 vert with only 39k. He is willing to sell to me for a reasonable price and has babied the thing...it was his wife's country club car, never driven in the winter and they are the second owner- purchased when it was two years old.

Since this second year using the 4.2, I know we already eliminate common issues such as tensioners and such found on early 4.0. There is one button on each of the seat controls that doesn't work, but other than that, the car is immaculate and seems to be electronically sound. Is there anything I should be worried about as far as "key" problem items on the car for this year and mileage span? I am a younger guy and this would be my "stupid" (but such a sexy) purchase before I settle down. Would love to hear your thoughts.
Update- did a PPI and transmission pan needs replaced and tech couldn't diagnose a rattle in the rear passenger side suspension. Thought it may be a shock absorber or wheel bearing. It only rattles when going on bumps, noticed it when driving with top up, no radio on when I went over a speed bump). Trying to negotiate with seller on these items. feedback on rear suspension is appreciated!

Old 04-27-2016, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

I have a rattle in the rear of my 03, my shop here in Cincy found no issues with any bushings or the like in the rear, thought it may be a something in the left shock making the noise.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by brgjag
I have a rattle in the rear of my 03, my shop here in Cincy found no issues with any bushings or the like in the rear, thought it may be a something in the left shock making the noise.
So what did you end up doing?

Quick Reply: Pre-Purchase Advice: 2004 XK8