Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Powerflex polybush on front upper arm

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelh

If the sleeve is too short then torquing up the fulcrum bolt will just squash and deform the polybush so it's too tight to rotate on the inner sleeve. That could also explain why the shim you've arrowed was squeezed out because it would be rubbing against the subframe when the whole assembly rotates. Normally, it and any adjacent washers would be pinched.

Could they have supplied an out of spec sleeve? Pretty odd but not impossible.

This is what I sent back to them.

Hi Paul,

There is a bit of overhang of the bush on the sleeve but I am sure it is clamping down once the bolt is torqued up. I was surprised to see how badly corroded the large washers were, also there was a bit of deformation on the large washer where it had been crushed by the sleeve of the bush.

I think the problem is the corrosion on the large washers is pinching down on the bush holding it tight.

I checked the other side and it is also doing the same.

I am also pretty sure that this did not happen when they were first fitted.

The following users liked this post:
michaelh (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

just checked the nut side of mine and I only have 2 threads showing. I've convinced you are bottoming the nut on the thread so it cant be tightened properly. fit the stepped washers under the head and nut to pack it out.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by phanc60844
I know what the shims are, however they were the same diameter as the bush end washers and the shims and are all there ,you can see the shims next to the bush washers in the photo
Perhaps a previous owner lost your shims, here is a pic of one of the shims, the damaged one off my car and one of the top hat washers, you can see they are much smaller.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:28 AM

Lost the shims? what all of them?. The assembly was original ( the rust in the middle was testament to that) but the design must have been changed as the end of the fulcrum bolt on mine has a small diameter peg on the end to allow you to smack it with a hammer to get it out without damaging the threads so none of it matches your drawing.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
Could they have supplied an out of spec sleeve? Pretty odd but not impossible.

This is what I sent back to them.

I think the problem is the corrosion on the large washers is pinching down on the bush holding it tight.
Thanks: I see what you mean. If the washers expanded that would have a similar effect of squashing the bush.

M

Old 08-20-2016, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Maybe the flanges on the poly bushings can be sanded or the Wishbone edges filed a little to get movement between the poly bushes and washers? With a 6" caliper and a hand file you can do some precision machining.

It wouldn't take much. I'm sure you are correct that the rust "adding FeO" to the surfaces in the gaps can't be helping.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Here is some more dialogue with Powerflex to close this one off.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your email.

Paul is now away on holiday, but I can certainly handle this for you.

I think the best course of action would be to send you a new set and recommend that you apply some grease between the bush face and washer to A) help movement between the two and B) help prevent corrosion of the washer.

The washers are zinc plated to prevent corrosion, but maybe the friction between the bush and washer has caused the plating to wear off allowing it corrode with water/moisture ingress.

Kind Regards

Hi

Thanks for the offer.

Thinking about this, do you recommend a service period for re-greasing, as eventually surely the same would happen again?

Best regards
Jim

In theory, if the contact points are greased they should be a fit and forget part.

We used to supply copper grease with our parts that in extreme temperatures could dry, however we now use a PTFE/Silicone grease that is much better at coping in those sort of conditions.

However with any part that rotates and is open to the elements, an occasional re-grease is never going to do it any harm.

It’d be impossible to give a recommend mileage/age to do this however.

Kind Regards
Interesting as it was copper grease that was supplied with mine.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

OK, not quite closed off, the new bushes arrived today, seems like they have new tooling for the bush as its different from the first set I fitted.

You will notice the cross hatch on the inside of the poly part, there is embossed lettering round the edge, I don't remember either of these on the originals.

And more importantly the inner sleeve is now slightly wider than the poly parts, I noticed that on my originals it was the opposite, the poly overhang the inner sleeve.

Fixes to a design issue?

I would still prefer the washers to be made of stainless though.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the follow-up.
That's what I'd expect to see. Once everything is tightened up there will be a small running clearance between the bush and its enclosing washers, although that inevitably makes water entry more likely.
Looks like they have indeed had issues.

I see from phanc's picture that his also have the embossed lettering, so perhaps he's got the revised type and hence not had a problem.

I'm thinking this ought to be another scheduled maintenance item (or a least a periodic check) on my list.

Mike

Old 08-23-2016, 06:24 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Just an interested bystander here wishing to learn. I've read the thread several times and didn't see a clear answer.

With the stock rubber bushing, where is the intended pivot point? Is the rubber put into torsion? Are there metal-on-metal or metal-on-rubber components that slide/rotate with respect to each other?

Does this change with the poly bushing?

I presume it's been established that the through bolt is not supposed to rotate in it's mounting point on the frame.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Just an interested bystander here wishing to learn. I've read the thread several times and didn't see a clear answer.

With the stock rubber bushing, where is the intended pivot point? Is the rubber put into torsion? Are there metal-on-metal or metal-on-rubber components that slide/rotate with respect to each other?
The bush assembly rotates freely on the (pinched) inner sleeve, hence is not in torsion. The bearing surface is a thin perforated plastic material attached to a (what looks like) phosphor-bronze inside sleeve of the bush.

Does this change with the poly bushing?
Only inasmuch as from what I can see, the inner surface of the polybush bears directly on the inner sleeve. RD would be better placed to describe this.

I presume it's been established that the through bolt is not supposed to rotate in it's mounting point on the frame.
Correct. The design is that the fulcrum bolt will pinch all the inner surfaces against the subframe. There are no bearing surfaces in the subframe for the bolt to rotate within: just holes.
When the whole assembly seizes up and rotates as a unit, then the bolt holes can wear oval which is a Bad Thing.

Hope this makes sense,

Mike

Last edited by michaelh; 08-23-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:43 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelh

Hope this makes sense,

Mike
Perfectly. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2016, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

This is mine, been on 10 months 3k miles in snow, rain what ever the British weather throws at it. No corrosion and no gap between the bush, shim and cross member and the fulcrum bolt stays put. cant say anymore than that
It doesn't appear your assembly is correct I see no shims to the inside of the bushings as is required. Att is the proper visual of assembly, you can just note the smaller shim on left inner spacing before the subframe.

RD, I see they provided washers as well, they don't appear to have the stepping of the originals? I think this would be more matching to their design.

NOTE: Pic also provided as reference

Attached Thumbnails Problem with Powerflex polybush on front upper arm-2014-05-06-13.57.27.jpg  
Old 08-24-2016, 12:48 PM

I can assure you that the shims are there, the arm had to be spragged out to get them in, the assembly is correct

Old 08-24-2016, 12:56 PM

As per the table, left side front, 1 x 1.6mm shim, its there if you look and the wheel alignment is in spec to silence any further doubt

Last edited by phanc60844; 08-24-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

As per the table, left side front, 1 x 1.6mm shim, its there if you look and the wheel alignment is in spec to silence any further doubt

If as you say your shims were the same size as the bush washers (45mm) diameter, they can not be original, the part number for the shims (and the size) is consistent across all X100 cars.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

I booked myself onto a lathe training day tomorrow.

Guess what my exercise is going to be.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

First time I have used a lathe for 35 years!

I found another bit of bar 44mm in diameter which is close enough.

Drilled out a 16mm hole.

Then parted off eight washers.

Needed to clean off a lip from the parting tool.

Job done, shouldn't have to worry about these rusting.

johns427 (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 04:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

The stepped washers, shims and sleeves are locked together buy the torque on the pin which itself is locked into place, the stepped washers play a key role in this and can not be omitted. I like Powerflex bushes and use them in many other locations but not this one OEM only. Have dismantled and rebuilt these a number of times and you really don't want to have the pin rotate as it will make the beam mount oval quickly.

RaceDiagnostics (05-25-2021)