XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming 1997-2006 Jaguar XK8 remote key fob

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
Just programmed a fob from ebay, its a late 2002 UK car, could only get it to work with the drivers door open, no beeps, just flashes from the Jgate.
Awesome, after about an hour of other voodoo I finally tried this with my 2001 xj8 and the $30 fob from remotez4less on ebay, no longer remoteless, thanks!!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Iv'e been trying to programme remotes all the ways suggested and none would work. Finally went to main dealer for new SLM and now everything works! One thing that became apparent is the number dosn't matter if you go to main dealer. I had a third key with a completly different number and that now works!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 XJ8 and have a recurring problem with locking/unlocking the doors with the remote. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but it isn't a battery problem. Same problem with my previous car, a 2000 S-Type. I used to have the dealer fix it via re-programming but they charged about $200 each time. I asked Sports Car Parts in Calgary about this and they told me the dealer is the only one who can do this. Does anyone know if this is the case and if any other options are available? I don't mind paying for an occasional thing but this seems to a Jaguar "make-work project".

Old 04-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

My S-Type key fob remote quits working three or four times per year. I discovered that if I go get my wife's S-Type key fob remote, bring it out to the car and use it while holding my own disfunctional remote right beside it in my other hand, my own remote magically begins working again....

I believe my own remote quits functioning because it takes so much abuse from me. My wife rarely drives the S-Type so her remote rarely gets used - it stays clean and dry inside her purse. My own keys get banged around and sweated on in my pants pockets every day. I really should stash them in a waterproof Ziplock bag in my pocket when I go hiking in the mornings and wind up soaking wet with sweat after six miles, but I never do. My own fault, I know....

Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

The one thing most instructions don't empahsize is that the door needs to be open when you do the programming.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
Just programmed a fob from ebay, its a late 2002 UK car, could only get it to work with the drivers door open, no beeps, just flashes from the Jgate.
Same with my 99 XKR: no beeps, just flashes next to the 'P' gate. And, yes, the driver's door needed to be open. So I now have two remote fobs working.

Still no valet key, though.

Best wishes, Colin

Old 05-13-2013, 02:31 AM

Hi Stamford.... I have exactly the same car as you.... amazingly did the remote I had in a drawer for two years (that's another story), using the instructions.... Worked great. Btw... door was closed, windows were down. Maybe depends on the remote......?

Old 05-13-2013, 07:09 AM

Either that or I am becoming dyslexic in my older years. Isn't the car gorgeous? I have always loved the Jag wood dashes, etc., but the carbon fiber really seems more appropriate for the XKs (according to me). An added plus is it will never fade, craze or crack, as the wood is prone to do. So glad top-down weather has finally arrived in Connecticut!

Last edited by Stamford; 05-13-2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: The added plus
Old 05-14-2013, 02:05 AM

Happy to hear that the weather is getting good where you are...... here it's drought! Top down weather almost everyday. How are your wheels? (assuming you have 19's). The CA roads are horrible (pot holes etc) and my 19" Atlas wheels have been bent and repaired a few times. Not doing that again. I'm in the process of looking for new 18" wheels. Looking at Coventry Whitley hyper-silver..... but they haven't been made and shipped to the US yet...... Check them out and see if you think they would look good on our cars. My interior is white leather black suede inserts...... same as yours?? btw... if you haven't already done it, you may want to take a little slack out of the accelerator cable....... what a difference!!!

Old 05-14-2013, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

315Mhz for Europe - Asia -Australia. USA is not the same frequency though. As far as I know there are only the two. I'm sure some-one will correct me if I am wrong. So if you buy a 315Mhz to use in the US it would not work. That may be why some programme and some don't.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 AM

Ron - My wheels are in good shape, except for a little curb rash that really is hardly noticeable. I'll be pulling them off this week to do a brake job so they'll get a good cleaning inside and out. I have the all-black interior. Never saw the white and black. Must be very sharp. Yup, I checked the cable as soon as I heard it could be an issue, but found mine was already nice and tight.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Stamford
Ron - My wheels are in good shape, except for a little curb rash that really is hardly noticeable. I'll be pulling them off this week to do a brake job so they'll get a good cleaning inside and out. I have the all-black interior. Never saw the white and black. Must be very sharp. Yup, I checked the cable as soon as I heard it could be an issue, but found mine was already nice and tight.
Hi Stamford....... Can't tell from your photo.... Do you have the 19" Atlas wheels? I guess they were standard on the CF edition, but I'm not sure. The 19" Atlas damage easily. I'm very fussy about feeling out of balance tires or wheel issues on the road. A $90K car should not have any of that..... (I bought it used, but should be right anyway :-))

Old 05-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Frequencies

Hi all.

Key FOB frequency for the North American marked is 315 MHz. Europe uses 433,92 MHz. For Asia it varies from country to country. Australia I am not sure.
It's also standard and low sensitivity depending on local regulations, giving a range from 5 to 20 meters.
Part numbers in the table are only valid for specified VIN range.

Attached Thumbnails Programming 1997-2006 Jaguar XK8 remote key fob-key-fob.png  
Old 05-18-2013, 07:05 AM

Ron - Yes, I have the Atlas 19s. They look and feel wonderful. I'd have to be a lot better off than I am to spend $90k for a car, unless it came with a small house attached. I paid $16,400 for mine a year and a half ago. And while I bought an XK8 for its beauty and performance, I will admit I get a kick out of my neighbors' stares who must wonder if I'm selling drugs or something to afford such an amazing car. And the best part is that depreciation really slows down after the first $70,000 or so!

Last edited by Stamford; 05-18-2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Can't spell for sheet
Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx , i finally got both my fob to work, by following the link above.
But on my car 1997 xk8 coupe , i got the light to flash once on the shifter, after three flashes one the light switch.
then i press each button once on the fob and get a flash on the shifter light after each press,after the first fob i press once on each button on the second fob ,get a lifht flash on the shifter light each time, the i turn off the ign switch.
and both fobs works great..
Thx again for a excellent forum.. thumps up..

Old 05-18-2013, 09:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

Originally Posted by Galmann
Thx , i finally got both my fob to work, by following the link above...................... Thx again for a excellent forum.. thumps up..
Welcome to the forum Galmann,

Good to hear you've got your fobs to work.

I can see you've been a member for a few months but this is your first post. When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Worked like a charm! Thanks

Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 PM

Can't wait to give this a go. I bought an '01 and didn't get any remotes. Purchased one with "hopefully" the right code. Will give it a try tonight. If it doesn't work, I'll try to find one with the other code. But thanks for the tips!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Apparently the folding key's remote doesn't work on a 97. I wish I'd tried programming it before I destroyed one of my keys to install in the flip key mod

Old 08-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 97' xk8 with the original key fob. The car sat for a while and the battery died. After that I can't get the key fob to work. I followed the steps and get the red led on the console to light and it flashes when each button is pressed. I remove the key and close the door and it doesn't work. At least the fob is transmitting. This is one of the lower serial number cars that were sold in the US. ANy suggestions?

Quick Reply: Programming 1997-2006 Jaguar XK8 remote key fob