Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming 1997-2006 Jaguar XK8 remote key fob

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by cjdee
I have a 97' xk8 with the original key fob. The car sat for a while and the battery died. After that I can't get the key fob to work. I followed the steps and get the red led on the console to light and it flashes when each button is pressed. I remove the key and close the door and it doesn't work. At least the fob is transmitting. This is one of the lower serial number cars that were sold in the US. ANy suggestions?
Try disconnecting the car battery for a minute or two, then reconnect it and try again. Repeat a few times if necessary and see if it starts working.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Try disconnecting the car battery for a minute or two, then reconnect it and try again. Repeat a few times if necessary and see if it starts working.

I tried that but it didn't help. I tried pressing each button once, 5 times, just the unlock. THe led always will flash. Maybe the NVram is bad. Any other ideas?

Old 08-25-2013, 12:29 PM

Maybe it will start working on it's own in a few days. Stranger things have happened with this Jag.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

The security module with the keyfob receiver is known to fail occasionally. It is located under the fusebox in the boot. They generally run around $100-$150 used.

It is not a necessary condition for failure, but if there was ever water in the bottom of the boot while it was sitting that would be a smoking gun.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 PM

The security module with the keyfob receiver is known to fail occasionally. It is located under the fusebox in the boot. They generally run around $100-$150 used.

It is not a necessary condition for failure, but if there was ever water in the bottom of the boot while it was sitting that would be a smoking gun.

I will try that if all else fails. I just ordered another kye fob since I only had one and if a different coded fob may work. Thanks.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Well I was right. I had to make several runs today and now the fob works..

Old 08-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remotes,antenna & tires

Sorry if this is long I'm trying to be very thorough giving as much info as possible. I have a 03 XK8 coupe it's a flood car that basically got the "trunk dunked". I don't believe the 2 keys I have contain a chip the top portion is triangular with the Jag in the center. Under battery power everything lights up dash etc. but it won't start, the seller said I needed a replacement security & locking module which I purchased. This is all the info it's labeled with: X100 SECURITY & LOCKING MODULE 315MHZ
THIS PART IS PROGRAMMABLE Made in Spain by Visteon 1W8F-15K600-AA Serial # BO19239
LJE2600AB
SLM 315 MHZ APPROVAL MARKS
FCC:K8597R315 CAN: 2145 101 790A
While shopping for remotes I came across BullDog Security which sells a brand new system that they advertise as being compatible. Can I go this route? The antenna also needs to be replaced can I go by price or do I need something special?
Instead of a separate post I thought while I was soliciting all the experts I'd get your input about the best tires & or rims for driving in the snow. Yes it's a sin to drive it in the winter & I know the best answer is DON'T DO IT! But my present (extremely complicated) circumstances don't allow me getting a "winter rat" or any other alternative's.
Thanks to Everyone who takes the time to even read my post!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 03xk8
Sorry if this is long I'm trying to be very thorough giving as much info as possible. I have a 03 XK8 coupe it's a flood car that basically got the "trunk dunked". I don't believe the 2 keys I have contain a chip the top portion is triangular with the Jag in the center. Under battery power everything lights up dash etc. but it won't start, the seller said I needed a replacement security & locking module which I purchased. This is all the info it's labeled with: X100 SECURITY & LOCKING MODULE 315MHZ
THIS PART IS PROGRAMMABLE Made in Spain by Visteon 1W8F-15K600-AA Serial # BO19239
LJE2600AB
SLM 315 MHZ APPROVAL MARKS
FCC:K8597R315 CAN: 2145 101 790A
While shopping for remotes I came across BullDog Security which sells a brand new system that they advertise as being compatible. Can I go this route? The antenna also needs to be replaced can I go by price or do I need something special?
Instead of a separate post I thought while I was soliciting all the experts I'd get your input about the best tires & or rims for driving in the snow. Yes it's a sin to drive it in the winter & I know the best answer is DON'T DO IT! But my present (extremely complicated) circumstances don't allow me getting a "winter rat" or any other alternative's.
Thanks to Everyone who takes the time to even read my post!
The keys you describe sound correct. The transponder chip is just a tiny capsule embedded in the key body. You should see the outline of the access plug for the transponder capsule about 3/16" square on the top edge of the black plastic key body.

Please do not install an aftermarket security system on a vehicle that is not operating properly....it definitely will not work and can cause outrageous complications in an already difficult situation.

Have you tried to install the new security module? It may or may not work. There should be a label in the spare tire well that lists all the electronic modules in the car and their software versions. Next to 'SLM' will be a part number (probably LJE2600AB) and a 3 digit code called the VCATS code. That code must match the one on the donor car or else it would need to be reporgrammed by a shop that services Jags.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remote,antenna & tire

Thanks It figures it wouldn't be that easy!
Since I only have the key, I need to get a remote then, correct?
And if so what should I be looking for to match up with the transponder #'s?

The following users liked this post:
bbyrne62 (05-21-2015)
Old 10-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi All,

For my Dec 2003 XKR, I purchased a second fob from that popular online auction site. I made sure it was the same model number as my original LJE2610-BC. The process mentioned at the the start of the thread worked but no chirp, just the LED by the gearlever flashed. If you have more than one remote you have to program them together otherwise the new remote gets programmed and the old ones are deleted. I just pressed all the buttons on the new fob and then the buttons on the old fob whilst the light flashed for each press. Removed the key, shut to door and both fobs now work fine.

many thanks for the process details.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default May be the remote

Originally Posted by Mr. Feathers
Apparently the folding key's remote doesn't work on a 97. I wish I'd tried programming it before I destroyed one of my keys to install in the flip key mod

I bought 6 remotes on the web for the folding key project, two didn't work reliably 4 did. I'm guessing they were euro spec remotes . That might be your issue.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Correct Fob? learning mode?

I have a 98 XK8. I recently purchased a fob through web from wrecker. Fob looks in perfect condition and is from a 97 XK8.

Q1 - PN: LJA2610AA 315 MHz
My car without remotes. How do I know if this will work or not (car was originally sold in US, so the frequency should be correct....but is there something about the PN that will tell me if it's the right fob or not?)

Q2 - Don't seem to be able to put car into learning mode. I went through this on my XJ a few years ago....but eventually it worked. I have been trying for a total of 6 hours on the XK8 and never get a chirp or flash on J gate security light.
Cover on keyhole closes fine
Open drivers door (have tried with it closed also)
Pull stalk towards me
Insert key
move to position 1 (have tried position 0 and 2 also....)
flash 4 times (have tried 5, 6, slow, fast, in between....)
have also tried top up/down as 1 website said it should be closed (as well as the doors closed and locked)...have tried all combinations...
never get chirp (other than the door open warning...) or J gate flash...

From reading the forum the suggestion seems to be to change the security module....and I am almost at the point of trying that....however the car is absolutely mint with only 15,000 miles and looks like showroom condition (single owner weekend car)...other than maintenance and new tires (due to age) the only thing wrong with it is the rearview mirror (currently at Sybesmas), so I hesitate to start changing modules as it has had absolutely zero problems...

Any suggestions? replace security module or anything else I could try?

Old 10-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

You have the correct fob for your year and country.

Do you have n Advance Auto Parts near you? Most of them have a tester at the parts counter where you can see if your fob is at least putting out a radio signal.

If not, or if it is very weak (dim light) get a pair of fresh batteries. Then open it up and clean the button contact areas with some rubbing alcohol so all the black residue is gone. Also clean the battery contacts. Then put it together and give it another try at programming.

Until you have a confirmed working fob and still have the issue, I would not touch the security module.

MFoncerrada8 (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 03:57 PM

You have the correct fob for your year and country.
Thanks!

Do you have n Advance Auto Parts near you? Most of them have a tester at the parts counter where you can see if your fob is at least putting out a radio signal.
Great idea. I will try that.

If not, or if it is very weak (dim light) get a pair of fresh batteries. Then open it up and clean the button contact areas with some rubbing alcohol so all the black residue is gone. Also clean the battery contacts. Then put it together and give it another try at programming.
No lights on it...put in new batteries and contacts looked crisp (fob looks almost new - i'm former electronics tech)...i'll go ahead and clean them anyway.

Until you have a confirmed working fob and still have the issue, I would not touch the security module.
Good to hear....I agree, just tired of trying for so long....

The only reason I am considering it is because I get no chirp or j gate flash...

thanks for all the comments

Old 10-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MFoncerrada8

No lights on it....
To clarify I mean the light that shows the signal strength on the tester at the parts store.

MFoncerrada8 (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Default Pondering the next move

The remote tested good at the auto parts store (O'reilly - have tester right on battery display). Pondering my next move....but I am thinking I wait until I get the rearview mirror back...I realize there is a very small chance that it could have an impact but it does have auto-headlight control and the flasher stalk also controls the lights...

PS. JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING THAT MIGHT BE IMPORTANT....WHEN i PUSH THE TRUNK RELEASE BUTTON ON THE DASH (NEXT TO THE GAS DOOR BUTTON) IT GIVES MESSAGE "VALET MODE"...ALTHOUGH I HAVE LOCKED AND UNLOCKED CAR WITH BLACK KEY.

Last edited by MFoncerrada8; 10-07-2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: NEW THOUGHT
Old 10-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

It is starting to look more like the SLM which is under the trunk fusebox.

First you might want to make sure that the knurled chrome antenna connector on the SLM which you can see from above is actually attached.

MFoncerrada8 (10-08-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Talking Sweet success...

Sweeeeet success....

After hours of trying to program the remote....I went in the trunk, felt the antenna connection to the SLM (it felt completely tight), took out some fuses and put them back in (they all look good with pretty clean, shinny contacts....)...tried again and IT WORKED like a charm. So it appears something was a little lose....or it's just magic - isn't all electricity magic?

Last edited by MFoncerrada8; 10-13-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

linda, others....does the procedure outlined by you...also work for xj8 models?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by jagjunky
linda, others....does the procedure outlined by you...also work for xj8 models?
I am thinking there will be a similar thread in the XJ forum...

03xk8 (10-24-2013)

Quick Reply: Programming 1997-2006 Jaguar XK8 remote key fob