XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming 1997-2006 Jaguar XK8 remote key fob

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I like to continue this thread with my problem: (MY 2001 from USA)

I was at "Jaguar of Switzerland" and they tried to program a second Key to the car. But they say that they can not communicate with the Security Module. They don't get a respond.
According them, the SLM must be replaced.
Controverse to this forum they say (Jaguar of Switzerland) that these SLM are not programmable. Even if I find the correct SLM (LJE2600AB) they can not program the VCATS (015)
What Tool/Tester use american mechanics for programming? Is an instruction available for that?

Only one Key is an unsafe thing!!

Thanks Daniel

Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Most likely IDS/SDD with such as JLR Mongoose.

The following users liked this post:
280zx-turbo (11-24-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Say, Daniel

D'ya think that since it's a US version XK with the 315 Mhz system, that maybe your dealer has the Euro 429 Mhz setup, ergo the non-communications? Just thinkin'.

280zx-turbo (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

@ Don-T: They don't have problems with programming the Key-Fobs but the keys itself.
As far as I know keys don't works on FM transmitting?

Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Getting your fobs to work properly

Hi, having recently purchased a 97 XK8 convertible, neither of the remote key fobs worked, but the both do now! Read on ....

Having followed all the usual methods for programming the fobs to the car, nothing worked. My red console LED would flash just the once to indicate the car was in programming mode. I turned my attention to the fobs, could both be faulty?

I had an auto electrician check 'output' from the fobs, both were dead.
We used an 'Advanced Diagnostics AD35 transponder coil detector'

new batterys in both fobs, methylated spirits to clean all contacts, units looked good, no dry solder joints...

Each of the rubber pads are impregnated with carbon, which being conductive makes the contact required when pressed to join both haves of the printed circuit board contacts... Simple yes? .... No!

Using a multimeter I check very carefully resistive load across the little rubber pads... Nothing.... This was getting rediculous!

Scalpel out, shaves a hairs whisker from the surface of one of the little rubber pads, check again with multimeter, full signal

Did the other 7 pads all produced a signal... Ran out to the car, dip flash, ignition one turn etc etc ... Both fobs programmed perfectly, red LED flashed beautifully indicating programming had been accepted... Tested, all perfect...

Like the ZX spectrum, with the same rubber contact key pads, simply removing a layer of worn out material produced a clean contact.
Hope this helps someone, good luck..

The following 4 users liked this post by v8skid:
Burdedw (05-25-2017), fispe (07-19-2014), greenforest56 (09-25-2017), MFoncerrada8 (12-16-2013)
Old 05-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a remote fob that dealer told my wife was "broken" but it looked OK. Decided to try to see if I could get it to work. Put in fresh batteries and followed Linda's instructions and the fob is working but I never got any beebs during the programming. Thank you Linda. It's been over 5 years of manually opening the door until I discovered Jaguarforums and got around to addressing this issue. Thanks again.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Just Programmed Four Remotes

I bought several extra remotes from eBay (I didn't intend to win all of the auctions, but sometimes it happens.) All three that I bought matched the original numbers on the one working remote that came with my 1999 XK8. First, I opened each remote up, cleaned the contacts with alcohol swabs and installed new batteries in each.
Then, as noted in this thread, put the key in the ignition, pulled the flash-to-pass lever and turned the key one position. I pulled the F-T-P lever four times and got the confirming beep and red indicator light by the J-Gate. I pressed the unlock button on each "new" fob once and then pressed the unlock button on the original fob twice. All four now work. (I had to do the procedure twice: operator error!)
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

RDMinor (09-10-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, I recently bought my XK8 1997 (US Import) and i only came with 1 transmitter (but 2 keys).

I received a remote transmitter I bought in Ebay today. Do I have to program them both? Or will the one I have from before continue working as before?

BTW I was told that Jaguar Norway wasn't allowed to sell US remotes 315MHz, because in Europe that is a NATO frequency.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

When doing just the FOB, you only need to 'program' the new one. It is when you program a new key do you need to do all keys at one time. good luck!

Old 07-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys, Any suggestions here, just got home on a break from working overseas and have got to see and drive my newly bought 2004.5 XKR for the first time.
The two remotes that came with the car did not work, so I changed batteries on both of them, still no response from either of them. Had them both tested at the locksmith and they are both transmitting on all buttons, so I am pretty confident they are ok.
I have tried programming as per the first post procedure and have not had any luck so far.
When I flash the lights 4 times, I notice the LED by the shifter flashes once with no beeps or anything else. I tried pressing the buttons on the remote one at a time and there is just no response at all, no flashing LED or audible beeps. What I do notice is that after the initial flashing of the lights and the single blink of the LED, if I wait about 20 seconds, there is an audible two beeps. I have tried pressing the remote buttons before and after the beeps and still no luck. I have also tried combinations of the door being open and closed, holding the light flash stalk in before inserting the key and turning to the first stage on the ignition.

I have not had any luck with all the combinations and implementing all the suggestions made in this thread. I have basically run out of ideas now and my last resort is a 200km round trip to the dealer to get this sorted. I believe my module is ok because the alarm beeps then I lock the door with the key and I can see the LED by the shifter blinking to indicate the alarm is active as well as getting an audible beep from the car when I lock and unlock at the drivers door with the key.

Any suggestions are welcome! I have not tried disconnecting the battery yet, this is probably my last step that I can think of before I throw in the towel. Somehow don't think it will help, but you never know.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Beetle
Guys, Any suggestions here, just got home on a break from working overseas and have got to see and drive my newly bought 2004.5 XKR for the first time.
The two remotes that came with the car did not work, so I changed batteries on both of them, still no response from either of them. Had them both tested at the locksmith and they are both transmitting on all buttons, so I am pretty confident they are ok.
I have tried programming as per the first post procedure and have not had any luck so far.
When I flash the lights 4 times, I notice the LED by the shifter flashes once with no beeps or anything else. I tried pressing the buttons on the remote one at a time and there is just no response at all, no flashing LED or audible beeps. What I do notice is that after the initial flashing of the lights and the single blink of the LED, if I wait about 20 seconds, there is an audible two beeps. I have tried pressing the remote buttons before and after the beeps and still no luck. I have also tried combinations of the door being open and closed, holding the light flash stalk in before inserting the key and turning to the first stage on the ignition.

I have not had any luck with all the combinations and implementing all the suggestions made in this thread. I have basically run out of ideas now and my last resort is a 200km round trip to the dealer to get this sorted. I believe my module is ok because the alarm beeps then I lock the door with the key and I can see the LED by the shifter blinking to indicate the alarm is active as well as getting an audible beep from the car when I lock and unlock at the drivers door with the key.

Any suggestions are welcome! I have not tried disconnecting the battery yet, this is probably my last step that I can think of before I throw in the towel. Somehow don't think it will help, but you never know.
Beautiful car!

I felt the same way as I had tried all the steps and combinations many times. Just kept trying until my son came up to watch and said "do you hear the beeps?" - i realized my hearing was missing the very high pitched beeps it was making....programmed it with his help very quickly. I guess the suggestion is to keep trying and possibly get a second set of eyes (and ears) to help you... good luck

Beetle (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 02:15 PM

I tried the battery disconnect and still no luck. Starting to wonder if I am doing the right thing when it comes to pressing the buttons on the remote, don't quite understand what the guys mean about the 5 signals or 5 remotes and how many times you need to push the buttons on a single remote. I have two remotes.(FOB's) that I need to program, how many times do I need to push each individual button to get these two remotes programmed?

Old 07-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

only need to press a button on the remote once, then turn that key off in the ignition.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:25 PM

Hi Matt

I have tried that and no luck. I had the code reader on her today as well and no existing fault codes show up.

I phoned the dealers today and the earliest I can book her in is mid August. I head back to work in Peru on the 14th of this month for 3 months until my next home trip, so I'm on my own on this problem until I get home again unless I can get it sorted through this forum.

It's probably something small that I'm doing or not doing that is causing the problem, just got to figure out what the problem is.

Is there anybody here with a 2005 model XKR who has successfully programmed their FOB's that can possibly comment or advise on my problem? I am at wits end here and have run out of ideas.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

A little confused and need some clarification. My wife has 2 fobs, one works but will not operate the trunk release. Do I need to press each button on each fob once to program. I got lost with the need for the 5 total number there ?

Thanks again, great group on this forum.

Mike

Old 07-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Success!

I just purchased a used remote off eBay. Boot and light button programed perfectly. Stripped remote to check battery and found dirt on lock and unlock contacts. Quick clean and everything is working perfectly.
Many thanks for your helpful programming information.

Burdedw (05-25-2017)
Old 12-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know how to find the correct FCC and LJE codes without the original key fob and without contacting a dealer?

Old 03-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner - key fob problems

Just bought beautiful 97 xk8. 48k miles. Have one key fob. It does everything but lock & unlock doors. Seems it must be correctly programmed as all functions work but lock/unlock. Any ideas?

Old 04-09-2015, 04:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One or the oher?

I just purchased a 99 XK8. It only came with one key and one fob. I had my local locksmith make a new key and ordered a fob from ebay making sure the numbers on the back matched the fob that came with the car. I programmed the new fob got it to work but the old fob would not work. I got the old fob to program but then the new fob won't work. I can get one or the other to work but not both at the same time. When I programmed one I could here the beep but when I tried the second there was no beep and it didn't program. In other words when one programs the other one somehow deprograms. Any ideas?

Old 04-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help please. Bought a keyless remote on Ebay o=fir my 1997 Jaguar XK8. Followed the instructions on this forum to program it. I can't even get the initial chirp after flashing the turn signal the 4 or 5 times.

Quick Reply: Programming 1997-2006 Jaguar XK8 remote key fob