XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming garage door opener, please help

Old 03-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming garage door opener, please help

Ive read the FAQ and other posts on this and other forums.

My issue- the homelink panel seems to be working. The lights will light up and I can clear memory by holding the two outer buttons. But, I can't seem to get the door opener to work.

My garage door has the rolling code, not a static one. So, according to the instructions the homelink should be showing up with amber lights. Instead, it shows up with the red lights. It will not go to the amber lights, even though I have a rolling code garage door opener.

Any ideas how to get this working? FWIW, I am having trouble getting my keyless entry to work too. Do these two maybe share a common antenna?
Anything else I can do?
Thanks!

Old 03-31-2010, 12:10 AM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

When I programmed mine I had to hit the learn button on the main unit to program the car properly. It won't work if you're trying to program it directly from the remote.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Home link and the security module do not share an antenna. The note above about setting the opener module to 'learn' is the same with mine.

My openers are about 12 years old and are not compatible with the Home Link systems. I had to add a module, about $25 I think, to use it.

What is the problem you are having with the car remote control?

Old 03-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same problem I think. But mine was missing the outside buttons on the console. I ordered the whole thing from EBAY and it was $30 shipped. I just got done setting it up and it worked off of the remote to program. I never could get the original to program with my opener. So ... I would grab one off eBay and replace. EASY to replace also. Console pulls down with 3 compression clips. Unplug power to unit. 3 screws to remove and pull power from homelink module. Replace with new one. Replace unit and enjoy!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Just one thing to note, since it sounds like your code seems to be saved. You have to hold the button for a bit and at the point when you release it is when the door opens. This threw me off as I would press the button and nothing would happen. If the code isn't saved it may be because the code isn't being saved. I had to really play with mine to get it to save, adjusting the orientation of the garage door opener against it even. The receiver must be extremely week to pick up the signal it is trying to save.

As far as the amber/red light issue; mine are suppose to be red and are showing up amber, so maybe it is backwards?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rolling Code Programming.

Rolling Code Programming.
Rolling code garage door openers (or other rolling code devices)
which are ‘code protected’ may be identified as follows:
• refer to the device owner’s instruction manual for
verification.
• if the hand-held transmitter appears to programme the
HomeLink universal transceiver but does not activate the
garage door.
• press and hold the trained HomeLink button. The device has
the rolling code feature if the HomeLink indicator light
flashes rapidly and then remains on after two seconds.
To train a garage door opener or other device with the rolling
code feature, follow these steps after completing the
instructions in ‘Programming the Universal Transceiver’
described previously.
Note: The aid of a second person may make the following
training procedures quicker and easier.
1. Locate the ‘learn’ or ‘smart’ button on the garage door
opener motor head unit. Exact name, location and colour of
the button may vary by garage door opener brand. If there is
difficulty locating this button, refer to the garage door opener
instruction manual or contact HomeLink.
2. Firmly press and release the ‘learn button’ on the garage door
opener motor head unit.
Note: Following step 2 there are 30 seconds in which to initiate
step 3.
3. Firmly press and release the HomeLink button on the roof
console. Press and release the HomeLink button a second
time to complete the training process. Some garage door
openers may require you to do this step a third time to
complete the training.
The device should now recognise the HomeLink signal and
activate when the HomeLink button is pressed. The remaining
buttons may now be programmed if this has not been previously
done.

Hope this helps

The following users liked this post:
Gato Negro (02-03-2014)
Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I don't know if this is the problem or not, but when you push the button up by the mirror you have to hold it down for a second. It's not like the remote where you can click it and let go. It needs to be held down until you see the garage door start to open.

Second, if your garage door opener has the rolling code thing, there are two separate steps. First you have to take your existing remote and hold it near the built-in homelink remote. Press and hold the button on the existing remote and at the same time press and hold the button you want to program on the homelink remote.

Second, go push the "learn" button on the opener. The "learn" light will come on. Have someone in the car push and hold the button you just programmed for about a second. The "learn" light will go out. Press the "learn" button again, then have the person in the car press the programmed button again (hold for 1 second, again, too). Then press the "learn" button a third time and then have them press the programmed button a third time. Each time you push the "learn" button the little light will come on, and each time they push the programmed button in the car the light will go out. After the fourth time pressing the "learn" and programmed buttons, have them press the programmed button again. The garage door should close (or open, I'm assuming they are sitting in the driveway with the garage door open).

I did it this past weekend, so it's still fresh in my mind. I had a little trouble, too. The directions in the manual aren't very clear. I learned, however, that you have to actually hold down the homelink button for about half a second for it to actually open or close the door.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One other note. If you do have a rolling code type garage door opener then it takes two people to get it to work. One in the car and one at the garage door opener. You may need to check the you garage door opener manual for additional information.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 7,849 Likes on 4,749 Posts
Default Programming garage door opener, please help

Please tell us the Make, Model, Year and you will get ACCURATE info. The early cars have the RED LED (non rolling code) and the later (approx 2000MY) have the AMBER LED (rolling code) GDO
If your LED is RED and you have a newer 'rolling code' GDO ON YOUR HOUSE then you can NOT program your car to open the GDO!!!!

You need the AMBER LED to program the ROLLING CODE GDO (2000MYonward>)
You can retrofit (BUY A NEWER OVERHEAD CONSOLE) and install it in your vehicle.

Here is the TSB in microsoft WORD format

Attached Files
File Type: doc
419-05.doc (504.5 KB, 333 views)
Old 06-10-2010, 01:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kenhlavacek
One other note. If you do have a rolling code type garage door opener then it takes two people to get it to work. One in the car and one at the garage door opener. You may need to check the you garage door opener manual for additional information.
You can do it by yourself, you just have to move a bit faster. I did mine by myself and I'm a !!!

Old 06-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam

...Second, go push the "learn" button on the opener. The "learn" light will come on. Have someone in the car push and hold the button you just programmed for about a second. The "learn" light will go out. Press the "learn" button again, then have the person in the car press the programmed button again (hold for 1 second, again, too). Then press the "learn" button a third time and then have them press the programmed button a third time. Each time you push the "learn" button the little light will come on, and each time they push the programmed button in the car the light will go out. After the fourth time pressing the "learn" and programmed buttons, have them press the programmed button again. The garage door should close (or open, I'm assuming they are sitting in the driveway with the garage door open).
It appears that the first step is common to all openers with rolling codes.
I have a Chamberlain opener and found that step 2 is a bit different.

1- Press the learn button under the light cover on the the garage door opener motor; no light will come on
2- Within 30 seconds, press and hold the button under the mirror
3- When the light on the garage door opener motor blinks, the code is set
4- To use (as previously noted) press and hold the button und the mirror until the door starts to move; release

Additional detail at
http://www.coderetard.com/2008/10/01...-garage-doors/

-Terry