Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question from a Porsche owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question from a Porsche owner

hi everyone.

I have a rather interesting question, since I have fulfilled my dream of now owning a Porsche 911, and that is my pride and joy I am now looking at a car to drive everyday, and till recently I had only one option it was the e46 BMW M3 (2000-2006) however there are some reasons against it, I am now leaning over to an automatic car and although I love bimmers, there are far too many and they seem to be too common. however there is a lot of fun and it is easy to maintain them (I am handy with spanners no trouble rebuilding engines/suspension etc)

however I have recently started to look at XK8 Jags, I am not interested in the supercharged version as I don't need that much power for a daily car. and I really dig the looks of the coupe.

maybe someone could comment these rather different cars so

e46 M3 against XK8 (first gen)

what are the typical things to look out for? transmission? suspension? convertible (good/bad?) the roads in my country are rather bumpy so that would be a + for the Jag (I assume it is more comfortable than M3) as it is intended as a daily cruiser what about the consumption? M3 (i have owned one before) gave out an average of 13-13,5l/100km (around 18mpg [US]), what about rust? (salty winters, M3 holded up great)

thank you, I hope this is a normal topic, if not would be thankful for guidance in the right direction

if some don't know what I have put up to the XK8 is this

unfortunately don't know any friends with XKs so no option to testdrive it yet.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Riddler, you will only get praise for the Jag here, but the M3 is a good car for what it was intended, not what I would call a daily driver on rough roads. If you get a XK8, I would hold the wheel size to 18 inches for the ride. Lots of information on things that go bump in the night on the Jag, just look at the beginning of this Forum.
911 not a bad choice either.
Wayne

Last edited by cjd777; 07-24-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:22 PM

thank you, of course there is going to be a praise for the Jag on this forum, I fully understand that, I am a sort of person who can live with "bad habbits" if I like the looks. and I do like the looks of an XK8, just would like to get a glimpse of typical problems and maybe read some owning experiencies.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:57 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

While you are waiting for some pertinent replies, I can assure you that the questions that you have asked have been asked on this forum at least a hundred times in the last two years, so that you can search for some of the answers and find an incredible amount of information. There are some specific issues to address, depending upon the model year, such as plastic tensioners and so forth that need to be replaced, but, for the most part the issues with these cars are not so much different than many other cars. For my own part, I'd have to say that the biggest mistake that some people make it to look for and buy what they think is the "cheapest, or best deal" because that car is two or three thousand dollars less than some other one, but I would suggest that you look for a car that has been well cared for and maintained and not driven HARD, as some people do to these cars. I would suggest that the mileage is not so important as how the car has been maintained and driven. If the owner has been a stoplight bandit, running the car up to redline and racing people at every stoplight (as some people on this forum say that they do regularly) you will very likely have some problems with various parts of the drive train, including the engine and transmission as well as the suspension. If, on the other hand, you buy your car from someone who drove it as the GT car that it is, which is not to say, as a grandmother, but rather, as a more sensible person would, it will probably give you a lot of miles and years of service with little problem. Good luck in your quest.

The following users liked this post:
kesslari (09-04-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Same advise as above withy few comments,
You are coming from a tight suspension well handling line of cars, BMW and Posche both do what they are designed to do and do it well.

As does the XK8, however it is designed to be a GT car, not a sports car so the handling is not as crisp as one might think. However it is the most comfortable car I've owned and like the others when used as designed it's a pleasure to own and drive.

I to enjoy owning something that is not seen at every other stop light. It is a rarity to pass another XK8 and the pleasure of driving and owning a car that only a few dare to venture into the realm of speaks loudly to me.

Don't rush, take your time to research this forum and you will not go wrong, I'm sure you realize forums like this are a wealth of information and this is one of the best. No back biting or slamming for asking questions. Everyone here is truly here to help, spread information and promote the well being of our great choice in vehicles. Of course all the problems are voiced here so it might appear the XK8 is an unmanageable beast, that is simply not the case. As you indicated you are able to work on your own cars and that is the key to owning the XK8.

As for a choice in XK8's IMHO the verts are the best but coupes are rarer. Stay with a 03 or newer, most issues were solved by 03. A car with some miles on it is a better choice than a very low mile car if it has service records. The low mile cars may not have had some common issues sorted out. Remember you are looking at 10 to 15 year old British cars. The front suspension rubber bits will need to be replaced just due to age regardless of miles, for that matter anything rubber should be replaced for dependability. In climates where the roads are salted or near the ocean rust is a huge issue. If the car comes from a mild climate than rust is no issue. My 03 with 90K miles came from southern CA all it's life until last year and the under body, suspension and all around are very clean with no corrosion. On the other hand you will find posts here showing terrible rust and seized suspension bolts from corrosion on cars in cold or very wet climates.

Good luck and post up links to any cars you are interested in, everyone will speak up and offer more advice than you may want.

Last edited by Jandreu; 07-24-2015 at 10:19 PM.
kesslari (09-04-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 01:57 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If you get one of the later years it should be as reliable as the BMW with comparable running costs. The platform by 2005 was very mature and most of the kinks were worked out, the convertible top still had issues but the coupes had no major defect. In fact, jaguar topped the J.D. powerhouse dependability ratings for 2009 which tested the 2006 model year line up.

The coupe is very rare in the states and gets tons of compliments from both young and old. I'm really surprised how many people don't even know what kind of car it is or even if it is a new model.
Finding a good one is really the most important thing since these cars are at-least ten years old now. I saw and drove a few before buying mine and they all seemed to drive poor and were in worn condition, the first one was an older xkr that drove so poorly I almost gave up on the idea of buying one. I refused to buy from ebay site unseen, so finding a good reasonably priced coupe locally took months. But I have been daily driving it for almost five years now with only very minor repairs and routine maintenance. This car is very comfortable for daily driving and I suspect does better when one drives it regularly. However, the back seat is totally useless even for small children and occasional use, which is why most could never use it as their daily.
If my car were totaled tomorrow I would honestly be searching for another one, which is probably the only time I have ever felt that way. After five years I am usually itching for a reason to change cars.

kesslari (09-04-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 02:41 PM

thank you for the rather broad insight

the rubber bushings is no trouble at all and yes i don't expect it to handle as a gocart, but a relaxing cruiser. and the 20 inch rims seem bit vulgar to me. one more thing, there is some info on Nicasil issues so the early car is a no go?

or if I get one then engine out and install steel liners and new piston rings and I am sorted? that is no trouble to me, but yeah cars of 2003+ seem to be rather steep in price. but of course there is no rush, have to see what turns up and then think hard about it.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Most people say that if a Nikasil engine is still going strong, then there is no real issue there. In fact, a Nikasil engine may even be preferable, so long as quality fuel has/will be used.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I have had pretty much everything, that Porsche put out 30 years ago, and they are great reliable cars. My son has had some transmission issues with his BMWs, as well as rust issues, but that is because some BMWs and the XK8 shared a ZF trans, that if maintained would be no problem at all.

We are not talking about rwd XK8s as daily drivers in the winter, otherwise we would be a Chevy Malibu Forum. I use my X Type for daily transportation, once the snow starts falling, but have cleaned and sprayed all 3 of my current cars floor pans and wheel wells, with Rusolium's most expensive rattle can bed liner, because of the salt used to clear the roads around me. If I go through a sloppy day or 2, I wash my cars, in a touchless car wash, with a strong undercarriage spray. Then I take the beastie home for a wipe down. I am probably one of the few people on the planet, that got 12 years out of a Chevy Vega, and still had it looking like new.

I bought my 99 XK8, for $3000, knowing what I was getting into. I ended up replacing the trans, because of Jaguar's sealed for life sales pitch, when my car was sold.$750 for a 41,000 mile flood car trans, that I pressure flushed close to $180 of transmission fluid through. I also put in new front seat upholstery.$550 Off of Ebay. I liked the vintage look, so I put on 16" wheels with taller tyres, so I wouldn't crack one of my unforged factory wheels in a pot hole.$550 off of Ebay for the wheels already mounted with new Goodyears, and $100 for the wheel adapters. I spent $40 on a driver's side window/mirror switch that came off the same car I got the trans out of. I got a new homelink console for $60 also from the same car. I probably put in another $100 in changing the engine oil and filter twice, and filling the rear end. I bought antique Plymouth hood louvers, and made functional vents, like on my XKE, which the Xk8 is kind of in the lineage of.$40 I spent another $17 for a front swaybar end link, and another $40 on an evap valve, to get me through emissions. I replaced the upper timing chain tensioners for about another another $100. I also had a salvage yard put in a used, that turned out to be new, after they broke 3 of them, windshield, for $275. I am retired, so the labor was all me. I am into the car for $5,702, for the car of my dreams. If I took off the stuff I really didn't need, I would be in it for less than $5000, but what fun would that be?

The factory Harman Kardon sound system is the best I have ever had in an automobile,(including one Rolls Royce) and with the top up, the convertible is almost as quiet as the coupe.

The XK8 comes with a pretty much trouble free electrical system, from the years Jaguar spent under Ford,(before that, they didn't know what a relay was) a Jaguar designed engine, used by Ford, Cosworth heads, electronic shift control, with a switch for sport and normal driving, a real world top speed of around 150mph, and other than a few plastic items, a quality car. The wood is real, just put on metal, like Mercedes, Audi, and highline BMWs, then covered with a thick lacquer.

Unless you get the supercharged version, you will have Ford brake calipers at all 4 corners. The convertible top hydraulic lines, simply because of age should be replaced, before you get what the guys and gals here call a green shower, coming out of the windshield lines going to the top hook.

The parts are pricey, but if you are into Porsches, you know what to expect, even though some mechanical parts, can be sourced from Ford for like 25% or more off the Jaguar price.

In the end, I look at my Jags as art, and enjoy the looks I get, because it is not a car seen everyday, except in the towns around me.......Good luck on your decision......Mike

Last edited by mrplow58; 07-25-2015 at 06:19 PM.
kesslari (09-04-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 11:20 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default v8 sounds great, coupe looks never tire

The coupe is a beauty to look at, it never gets old, and my XKR coupe drew praise from someone every 3rd time I drove or parked it (across the entire age and socio economic spectrum no less).

The v8 is needlessly too quiet, so keep the two rear mufflers but remove the massive central muffler and use simple straight pipes. The little mufflerettes after that are not worth removing but if you are game go ahead.

Handling is not in the same league as BMW or Porsche, but if you are not going to push it to the limit you may never care.

2003 newer = fast shifting ZF 6 speed for regular and supercharged. Coupe back seat IS useable for lithe females and children (yes, it is roomier back there than convertible).

Old 09-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

I was contemplating an M3 and Porsche boxster before I finally landed on the XK8 and I got to say I don't regret it at all....despite a 4.2L V8...I find it a little slow for my taste although the ZF 6hp26 transmission is good enough for an auto car... there are some kink such as "The lurch" when you first put the shifter to d in the morning, you have to wait 2 sec before you feel the tranny is engaging. Also sometimes the transmission would shifts hard going down from 2nd to 1st gear....However, some member in the forum fix the issue with putting Mercon-SP fluids in the tranny.

Parts are expensive and not a lot of aftermarket parts available for this car.

That being said, the car is a head turner....I often catch people walking around the car trying to figure out what car is this....I get thumbs up from Older Porsche drivers....numerous compliments.

Until I can afford an Aston martin...this car will do for now