XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Readiness and the drive cycle

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for this info, I will try this type of driving over the next few days. The recommendation of coasting to slow down would be something I have not been doing, so maybe this will help trigger the readiness sensors. Since I had installed the new battery about 600 miles ago, and cleared all codes at that time, I am truly starting from a clean slate. I'll just keep on driving and hope my car is "ready" soon.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:36 PM

SUCCESS!!
I finally passed the NC state inspection. It took right around 600 miles of driving from a battery replacement to get there, but I finally made it. I used many of the suggestions from this forum to help expedite the process. Three things that I changed about my driving habits (that may, or may not have helped) were:
1) Let car idle for a few minutes upon first starting, no brake, no gas.
2) Allow car to decelerate more often, no brake, no gas, ex. 55mph to 20mph coasting.
3) Encourage more drive cycles by turning the car off and back on when stopped.

The one extra monitor that was now ready was the O2 Sensors. In NC, you are allowed to have 2 sensors that are not ready. I still have the Catalytic efficiency and Evap. system yet to complete their readiness, and I still have a P1000 code. Fortunately, this was enough to get me through.

Thanks again for all of the information.

The following 2 users liked this post by MR. CJ:
Norri (02-01-2012), Orthodixie (10-10-2018)
Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Bet that's a relief!

P1000 is the one code you always want to see stored. It means 'drive cycle completed' since the last time codes were cleared.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (10-10-2018)
Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM

Yes, couldn't be happier. As far as I know, P1000 still means that all of the readiness monitors have not been set. P1111 is the code I am hoping for, which indicates that all of the readiness monitors have been set.

Originally Posted by GGG
Bet that's a relief!

P1000 is the one code you always want to see stored. It means 'drive cycle completed' since the last time codes were cleared.

Graham

Old 02-01-2012, 02:49 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by MR. CJ
Yes, couldn't be happier. As far as I know, P1000 still means that all of the readiness monitors have not been set. P1111 is the code I am hoping for, which indicates that all of the readiness monitors have been set.
YES - of course you're right, it is P1111 for completed.

P1111, P1111, P1111

Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Congratulations, I'll bet you were glad to see the pass document.

Good luck with getting the other two set.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm dealing with very similar issue- I have a p1000 code- checked it out found that is two components not ready

1) evaporative system monitor drive cycle
2) comprehensive component monitor transmission drive cycle

which aren't nothing to worry about- but not to the state inspection- I'm over due for a sticker- & they will fail me if both are not ready- now Im allowed one not to be ready in the state of New Jersey- so ive been going through all the common instruction _ but no go- I put over 600 mile since ive received this code- really need some help would really appreciate it - dont want to loose my car-

04 jaguar xtype 3.0 awd

Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by magicjuan17
.................- so ive been going through all the common instruction _ but no go- I put over 600 mile since ive received this code- really need some help would really appreciate it - dont want to loose my car-
Have you gone through the eight stage Drive Cycle procedure in Post #20 of this thread or are you putting on regular mileage to get to P1111?

Driving around will eventually get you to P1111 - all Onboard Tests Completed but following the Drive Cycle sequence is quicker and with a lot less miles.

Graham

Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Have you gone through the eight stage Drive Cycle procedure in Post #20 of this thread or are you putting on regular mileage to get to P1111?

Driving around will eventually get you to P1111 - all Onboard Tests Completed but following the Drive Cycle sequence is quicker and with a lot less miles.

Graham
Thanks for the head up - but yea I do that same test about 10 times a day - drive to work - 30min - drive to lunch - 10min- drive home 30min- then ill go continue testing the car - Is there any tips on doing this test that i might be missing - i have to get this car inspected - thanks

Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by magicjuan17
I'm dealing with very similar issue- I have a p1000 code- checked it out found that is two components not ready

1) evaporative system monitor drive cycle
2) comprehensive component monitor transmission drive cycle

which aren't nothing to worry about- but not to the state inspection- I'm over due for a sticker- & they will fail me if both are not ready- now Im allowed one not to be ready in the state of New Jersey- so ive been going through all the common instruction _ but no go- I put over 600 mile since ive received this code- really need some help would really appreciate it - dont want to loose my car-

04 jaguar xtype 3.0 awd
For the best help, you should always post in the section for your model: you have an X type, not an XK8.

I do however have an answer for you. The drive cycle for your car is specific to your model and can be found on pages 4-7 of the attached document.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X400_02_P_DTC_EOBD_R4.pdf (147.7 KB, 636 views)
Old 01-21-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
For the best help, you should always post in the section for your model: you have an X type, not an XK8.

I do however have an answer for you. The drive cycle for your car is specific to your model and can be found on pages 4-7 of the attached document.
Thanks for the response - 6month ago when i first notice this problem - i went to the dealer ship & they printed this exact form for me
1) comprehensive component monitor transmission drive cycle

2) evaporative system monitor drive cycle

- ever since then ive been trying to finish the cycle- ran over 800 miles +
Now im in despreation mode - im up for inspection - not sure if im doing it wrong - or road condition - tempeture - or maybe theres a fuse out - or theres somthing wrong with car - i dont have any check light - car runs fine- the last repair i did - was replacing the thermostic censer- cause my car would have a fault code pop up once & a blue -stating my car was overheating - but it wasnt - so i replaced it - the problem went away -
Not sure if that had anything to do it -

Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

After the car is thouroughly warmed up (15 minutes at least), with about a half tank of gas, pull over and try to let it idle for 15 minutes without touching the gas pedal. Then drive it for another 5 minutes or so. That should cause the purge (A.K.A. evaporative) test to complete. It may also close the comprehensive, but if not, most states will let you pass with one test not completed.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 PM

After the car is thouroughly warmed up (15 minutes at least), with about a half tank of gas, pull over and try to let it idle for 15 minutes without touching the gas pedal. Then drive it for another 5 minutes or so. That should cause the purge (A.K.A. evaporative) test to complete. It may also close the comprehensive, but if not, most states will let you pass with one test not completed.
Great - im going to try that 1st thing in the morning - this is something new - im really hoping these codes finish cycling - really tempted to reset them - but i know that might set me back to sqaure one -

Looks like everyone resolved this issue easy - even my jag tech told me its strange on how long its taking - I hope its not to serious - just bought this car last yr - never had problems - bur did have some codes pop up
P0116 - coolent temp- (replaced)
P0174,P0171,- maf sensor (replaced sensor)

Thats it car is very well maintain - but im going to keep trying

Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 PM

Update- on the issue on the*comprehensive component monitor transmission drive cycle &*evaporative system monitor drive cycle - I did some research (old school research ) I decided to call my the state of NJ of motor vehicle*commission - I told them my issue & to my surprise they told me 1st off the state lets only one of your component to not be ready - (I already knew that - but what they told me next blew my mind - The*comprehensive component monitor transmission drive cycle has a waiver on it- ((((((you got to be kiddin me )))))) anyway *which means the computer will automatically bypass it - yes all this time I was trying to get rid of one of these----the reason for the wavier on the*comprehensive component monitor transmission drive cycle is because Ford installed a leak censer in the X type that goes bad & takes for ever to reset so they did a state mandatory recall *- after hundreds of complaints & investigation - they put a waiver on it - this information is only found by the state- thats why not many people know about this - I just got sick & tired of running up & down trying to finish the cycle that i just got a idea to just call the state - So I took my car to inspection & yes I passed - so if your dealing with a*comprehensive component monitor transmission drive cycle not complete don't worry about it - hope this helps someone - also just want to thank everyone tjat helped me out & gave me advice -*

Orthodixie (10-10-2018)
Old 02-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts
Default drive cycle recommendations?

NJ inspection said everything passed except ... "comprehensive component not ready".

I'd like to get the full, official drive cycle for MY '03 if anyone has such a doc. Also, I'd appreciate any recommendations on specific areas of the cycle to focus on for this particular inspection failure.

'03 XK8 (yup, not my '01. I'm in the process of moving up in model year, and way down in odometer reading.) Recently purchased and not sure what set this off.

I've got a scanner and can see the condition so I'll be able to tell when it clears without guessing and going back to inspection blind. That much is nice.

TIA.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dennis07
NJ inspection said everything passed except ... "comprehensive component not ready".

I'd like to get the full, official drive cycle for MY '03 if anyone has such a doc. Also, I'd appreciate any recommendations on specific areas of the cycle to focus on for this particular inspection failure.

'03 XK8 (yup, not my '01. I'm in the process of moving up in model year, and way down in odometer reading.) Recently purchased and not sure what set this off.

I've got a scanner and can see the condition so I'll be able to tell when it clears without guessing and going back to inspection blind. That much is nice.

TIA.
Dennis, the drive cycle is on pages 4-7 of the 2003 DTC Summary - EOBD, which you can pull down by pressing the 'DTC' button at the top of the window in JTIS.

The bad news is the 'Comprehensive' is not is apparently not defined for the XK. You might need to just keep driving for a while.

Most states allow one incomplete monitor...not New Jersey?

Dennis07 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Dennis, the drive cycle is on pages 4-7 of the 2003 DTC Summary - EOBD, which you can pull down by pressing the 'DTC' button at the top of the window in JTIS.

The bad news is the 'Comprehensive' is not is apparently not defined for the XK. You might need to just keep driving for a while.

Most states allow one incomplete monitor...not New Jersey?
Thanks for that. I'll look at the JTIS stuff.

NJ may or may not give some slack on another failure mode -- don't know -- but the red thingy they slapped on my windshield left no doubt how they felt about my particular case.

I've read that some states don't even look at this parameter, and my OBD software says "this car is ready for emissions inspection". This while at the same time showing the "not ready" item that got me booted. Go figure.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I think the idea for the CCM is that you either get a DTC or after a while the CCM sets OK. Worth looking for pending codes if neither is happening.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

silly question but how long does the car get driven between the house and the inspection station? I ask because we had a small issue with one of Dad's S-Types where the system just hadn't gotten up to operating temperatures and so they couldn't do all of the emissions-related stuff...took it out and around for about fifteen miles at speeds up to 80 and brought it back in, where it then passed with flying colors. Was not a mileage thing (we had just reset codes in the past 100 miles) but rather a temperature thing...

Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mbelanger
silly question but how long does the car get driven between the house and the inspection station? I ask because we had a small issue with one of Dad's S-Types where the system just hadn't gotten up to operating temperatures and so they couldn't do all of the emissions-related stuff...took it out and around for about fifteen miles at speeds up to 80 and brought it back in, where it then passed with flying colors. Was not a mileage thing (we had just reset codes in the past 100 miles) but rather a temperature thing...
Thanks, but I think mine must be a different issue. Reason being that this comprehensive component thing, as I understand it, is a flag that says something like ... "all of the sub-systems have had a chance to do their individual measurements over a range of operating conditions and we've taken a vote and hereby declare this car to be Ok, emissions-wise."

My scanner shows that the flag is not set, and has stayed that way through hundreds of miles, hot engine or cold. Until the system is satisfied that something like the "drive cycle" has been completed (more than once?) the flag, it seems, will not be set. So even though all the individual emission measurements are good, I'm a DOA at the inspection station for now.

Quick Reply: Readiness and the drive cycle