XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear passenger tail lights not working

Old 05-17-2015, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear passenger tail lights not working

Hi Guys, Im a new member (sorry cant find new member area)...I live in north wales UK...I have a 1998 XK8.
My problem is, my passenger rear tail lights do not work....all other rear lights work, on both sides, Checked all fuses, bulbs ,etc, etc , Found rear lamp module had blown...burnt inside....Changed this,....still no joy.
Put car into Jaguar dealer...they could not fix problem.
Had auto electrian out...he could not fix problem....but put a wire from rear fuse box to rear light, now rear tail lights work..????.
I changed my rear lights about 6 months ago too the newer Jewel type,
been working great.
Jaguar dealer says im not getting power from fuse box too lamp module ????
When I check I am getting power, and all other lights work.

Really stuck now....I would be gratefull for any ideas...Thanks...Tom.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,758 Likes on 12,147 Posts

Welcome to the forum Tom,

When you get this issue resolved, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
lordtom (05-21-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 05:31 PM
Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

same here on right taillight believe its a bad pin problem on mine on the connector not sure though.

lordtom (05-21-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 03:08 AM

Hi Wolfpac1...I think ive got a broken wire somewhere, as im not getting power to 1 off them,,,,il let you know how I get on....Tom.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:22 AM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

There are several posts on here about this issue if you search. The weak link is the earth wire that can often burn out. The solution is to run a new earth tag direct from the metal threaded post that secures the tail light assembly to the bulb holder circuit board earth track. The "smart" way is to use a pop rivet but I soldered mine. I did this as one of the preventative maintenance jobs although I'd never had any actual issues with the lights.
Steve

lordtom (05-21-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 11:50 AM

Hi Steve, Thanks for that...ive read all posts on here and about earthing, but ive fitted the newer Jewel lights...and the back circuit board is different from those pictures ive seen on here....I have just got back from another auto electric guy..and hes fitted another relay and fuses and split the two side lamps apart...they all work now but im no better off now than I was before, than when I had a single extra wire from fuse box across to pass side lamp....just a bit more out of pocket.....Tom.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Hey Tom,
+1 on worrasf's post re earthing

This can be a pain...
The circuit for the tail lights is as follows:
From tail lamp relay via fuses #19 out on BT12-10 RK and #21 BT10-4 RY in to LCM BT18-17 and BT18-16 respectively.
Out from LCM on BT18-22 RG and BT18-21 RO to Tail lamp units L and R. If you're handy with a multimeter you should be able to follow the trail. I've attached a snip of the relevant part of JTIS that should make the above clearer.

A couple of observations: - if the original lamp control module burnt out on your watch I'd check that the tail lamp bulbs are rated at 5W and not 21W, as that could be the original cause. If that's the case, then the replacement LCM could have gone the same way - have you taken a look inside?

Although you don't mention it, I'd expect to see 'Bulb Fail Rear' messages on the dash, unless the original tail lamp relay has been removed or routed around with the various attempts to correct the problem.

Hope this helps,
Mike

P.S. What colour is yours?

Attached Thumbnails Rear passenger tail lights not working-wiring-colo-urs-.jpg   Rear passenger tail lights not working-tail-lamp-circuit-part.jpg  
lordtom (05-21-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 03:05 AM

Hi Mike, Thanks for that, and attachments. But Im useless at electrics, Since having another auto guy look at the electrics and fitting a relay and fuses to my system, Im now getting a reading...Bulb failure....he says il need to have a resister fitted as well, if I wont to get rid of this.
I thought id just get a new loom, but these are no longer available from Jaguar, So I think il just have to stick with what ive got....as all lights are working and hope nothing else goes wrong...ummmmm Tom. P.S....I have checked lamp module and bulbs again....all seem ok.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:20 AM

P.S UPDATE.....Now fitted LED bulbs...much better looking....now I only get bulb failure warning when I put my foot on brakes ???????????.....Tom.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:28 AM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by lordtom
P.S UPDATE.....Now fitted LED bulbs...much better looking....now I only get bulb failure warning when I put my foot on brakes ???????????.....Tom.
Goodness knows I am no autoelectrician but this does sound like an "earth problem". LED's clearly drawing less power than standard - until the brake lights come on. Are you able to jerry rig a non-permanent earth wire from the lamp holder earth track to a grounding point on the car just as a test?

Steve

lordtom (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 10:11 AM

Hi steve, Il give it a go tomorrow....let you know how I get on...Tom.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:17 AM

P.P.S......even with leds fitted....ive now got bulb light failure all the time.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Hi Tom,
I'm surprised that no-one can resolve the wiring issue. Electronics aside, there's no rocket science here and I'd expect any auto electrician worth his salt to be able to trace a break in a wire somewhere. IMHO you're being poorly served judging by what you've said about the 'fixes' to date.

Now, to specifics:
You don't say whether you have replaced the brake lamps with LEDs. If you have, then unless they are proper CAN bulbs (with an integral resistor) that is likely to trigger a message when you press the pedal: they aren't drawing enough current which the LCM will interpret as a dud bulb.

If not, I'm with with worrasf on checking for bad earthing - you may also see the other bulbs in the lamp cluster lighting up at the same time if this is the case.

Gut feel is that there could be a residual issue with the replacement LCM, but you've made other changes that could be obscuring the real culprit. Break the problem down into smaller steps:

Get to a known good state by undoing the jury-rig jumped connections, fitting known good ordinary incandescent bulbs of the correct wattage and having the original wiring properly repaired (including any suspect earthing and connectors). The electrician can treat the LCM as a 'black box'; if there's power going in and coming out on the appropriate connector pins, then the continuity break is elsewhere. If not, there's a possible culprit.

Afterwards, if you still have dash error messages then deal with them as a separate task.

Good luck,
Mike

Last edited by michaelh; 05-21-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:10 AM

Hi Mike, Fitted all LEDs too lamps. ALL bulbs CAN....all working as they should, im going to try another earth today....il let you know how I get on.....Tom.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:21 AM

Tried earthing...still no joy...waiting for another boot wiring loom...will replace and let you know

Old 06-05-2015, 11:29 AM

UPDATE....cant find a wiring loom for my car....tried everywhere, anybody know of one ????...number is...LJB3070CE...thanks.