Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing bulb in door switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Replacing bulb in door switch

I just finished the passenger door switch. Good news, it is a twist on bayonet mount, not a soldered joint

Bulb part number: JLM11965

Nother sure you want this model when replacing bulbs that need soldering like Sports switch. Another thread for that difference.

Just remove switch housing and carefully pry clips back to get to the circuit board where bulb is bayonet mounted.

BE CAREFUL of the fact that two black plastic plungers are mounted into the rocker switch without any fasteners. Let me explain, while disassembling the switch it will be inverted (top facing down). As soon as you remove the grey rubber plate and circuit board these two plungers will not have anything holding them in place except gravity. If you were to turn the empty switch housing over the plungers will fall out. This twist is the reason I am posting this.

Just replace bulbs with a twist, reassemble switch components and job is done.

I am going to try to insert photos, let's see if it works.

John

Remove switch from trim

Pry bottom odd flat blade jewler screwdriver.

Remove grey rubber and circuit board.

This is bottom of rocker switch. One plunger at top one at bottom dont lose them.

The following 4 users liked this post by Johnken:
jamdmyers (09-28-2016), michaelh (09-25-2016), RaceDiagnostics (09-25-2016), sklimii (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 01:05 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Just did the exact same thing last night, well finished putting it back together last night. I needed to put the blue 'bulb sock' on the lamp to tint it blue, the color of the back-light scheme on my car.

Now, this gets me. I have had the steering wheel switch packs apart, and they use a completely different type of switch (micro) in the electronics, but this component, the window switch, looked like it was an accessory from a LEGO kit. I mean, the waste of silicon on the board alone for two traces? It was kinda a WTF is this?, type of reaction when I opened mine up, for all the advanced electronics floating around the car, in some applications over engineered, and then to find the most basic mechanical to electronic interface with the plastic pins compressing rubber bulbs to eject conductive pins and make contact, it was like looking inside the key remote.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

OT, and don't know if it's an urban myth, but I heard somewhere that a large sum of money was spent on developing a pen that would write on most things, in space and underwater.

Then someone else suggested using a pencil

M