10 - equivalent to restoring a poor condition barnyard find
0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

On a scale from 1 - 10 how hard in a LSX swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 03:36 PM
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default An earlier car......

Just to be sure, you have a 4.2 car, not 4.0, right???? A 4.0 model would be fine...

I'm not sure what other "work" you had done to this 03, but since we are already discarding the engine/trans, nearly everything else on the car would transfer over to a 02 or earlier. Suspension pieces and all that are the same.

So you could start with a slightly less than perfect 00-02 and add your good pieces. Unless we're talking about paint, nearly everything else would transfer over. And you could then do a conversion....

Andrew

Originally Posted by brgjag
I am still kicking myself for not realizing I needed to get a 97-02 to do this conversion. I got a 03 and after all the work I have put into it I cant sell it and make what I got in it yet. I hate to get an older one and do all that work AGAIN then do a swap.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
I am still kicking myself for not realizing I needed to get a 97-02 to do this conversion. I got a 03 and after all the work I have put into it I cant sell it and make what I got in it yet. I hate to get an older one and do all that work AGAIN then do a swap.
Can you get an instrument panel and harness from an earlier model and swap into your 03 so that you can continue with the conversion?

Old 07-30-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I have the 03. I have done ALL coolant stuff, hoses to water pump, all new front end, has had the problem top hoses replaced, just had trans fluid flushed so I will NEVER see what I got in it.
I suspect to find a nice PRE 03 I will have to do lots of the same crap all over plus the conversion. Trust me I want to do it.
Maybe down the road I will. wait for the LS motor trans prices to drop a little.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:44 PM
Default Exchanging clusters

Unfortunately, that's not an option. The late cluster (and the car itself) uses different CAN software messaging and the unit needs to be synced to the other units in the car. And early cluster would not be compatible with the late car.

Several years ago we tested a 2003 cluster to verify that and sure enough, it was different and would not accept our CAN interface module messaging. The 2003 models are a no go with the conversion. A new software package would be required for them and since there is very little call for conversions on these later cars, unlikely to happen.....

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Originally Posted by flyinlow
Can you get an instrument panel and harness from an earlier model and swap into your 03 so that you can continue with the conversion?

Old 07-31-2016, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

If this OT discussion has inspired anyone to find out more about the multiplex data buses used by Jaguar, I can recommend this training paper from Jaguar themselves found on Gus' excellent site:-

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...%20Systems.pdf

JAGUAR MULTIPLEXING SYSTEMS

On current production vehicles, the major control modules connect to one of two multiplex electrical circuits. One multiplex circuit (CAN network) typically provides communication between the power train system modules. The second multiplex circuit (SCP network) typically provides communication between the body systems control modules. Both networks connect to the major instrument cluster (1NST), which allows communication of certain data between the CAN and SCP networks.

CAN Powertrain Multiplex Harness

The control modules for the engine, transmission and braking systems connect to each other with a two wire "twisted pair" multiplex circuit. The multiplex circuit allows the control modules to share data and systems control responsibility via "real time" high speed data communication. Sensors "owned" by each module and components directly controlled by the module connect with conventional "hard wired" circuits.

SCP Body Systems Multiplex Harness

The vehicle body systems control modules are similarly connected, utilizing a separate "twisted pair" multiplex circuit allowing the modules to share data and zoned component control responsibilities via multiplex data communication.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

TWISTED PAIR. Ouch

Old 08-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Default Moving on with xk8

Good point. We're having a good time talking about xk8's and what may or may not be on other Jag models really has nothing to do with it. We know what works on XK8's and that's what counts.....

As a side note, I now have several thousand miles on our xk8 LS1 6speed manual transmission car and love it to death. It has been quite a hoot. We're playing around now with the exhaust which was built from 2 1/2" mandrel bent tubing, corvette ls2 cats, a central stamped x-pipe and rear turbo mufflers. In the end it was far too.............. quiet. I'm running it now without mufflers which is not at all as loud as you might think. I'll probably add some small resonators back there. One note- the exhaust was actually easy to build and goes under the diff rather than through the rear suspension, something I didn't do on the earlier (automatic) car....... Anyway, having a lot of fun with that-now my left foot has something to do.........

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 08-01-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:28 PM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

LET's KEEP THIS THREAD ON TOPIC.

It began as a discusion about conversion on 1997/02 X100's. This is sufficiently complex without digressing into consideration and comparison with other Jaguar models and protocols. As fascinating as that is, it should be done in the relevant model tech forum.

Graham

Old 08-01-2016, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XK8 Ls1 conversion

Originally Posted by scottatl
1 = changing battery or tires
10 = restoring a barnyard find or building a project car
I've done two LS1 conversions a 1997 convertible and a 1997 coupe, both LS1 automatic, using the Jaguar Specialties kit (convertible re-listed on Ebay the other is showcased on Andrew's website). I voted a 6 as degree of difficulty...found kit to be as advertized and Andrew to be very helpful and always willing to talk Jag.

Attached Thumbnails On a scale from 1 - 10 how hard in a LSX swap-dsc_8069.jpg   On a scale from 1 - 10 how hard in a LSX swap-dsc_8090.jpg   On a scale from 1 - 10 how hard in a LSX swap-dsc_0980.1.jpg   On a scale from 1 - 10 how hard in a LSX swap-dsc_0997.jpg  
Old 08-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Received 111 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Final thoughts

Briefly, my final thoughts regarding this poll.
I am pleased that this has been brought up in this manner.
I am enjoying the comments by all who posted.
I think that we could add a couple of new metrics should this come up again.
1/ Consider asking how difficult any swap would be with or without a kit available, my vote is; with kit 6; without kit, I wouldn't have tried it
2/ Based on the first metric this next one would speak to expertise, like how difficult based on expertise, since I possess some experience as I have swapped only one same for same engine I would rate my expertise 4 out of 10. So my difficulty level would be an 8.
I voted a 6 considering these two metrics. Since the swap is complete and everything is so awesome I feel my response is valid.
I had a allot of help from two good friends, Andrew at JS, online sites like LS1Tech and of course this forum.

I did not post this poll but I have had fun reading posts and learned a thing or two as I always do in this forum.

Where there is a will, there is a Relative!

Old 08-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Default The summary??

It seems our thread has cooled off a bit- no new posts in close to a week. Perhaps we'll see some more in the coming weeks and months- I hope so.

Thanks to everyone who posted. From what I see we have:

Difficulty 5-6:

5 total replies, all with comments on what they found specifically when doing the conversion. Very good unvarnished details.

Difficulty 8-9:

5 total replies, but with no commentary or explanation on what specifically drove these ratings. I would love to know what area(s) were deemed as so complex- perhaps something could be changed or redesigned in the kit. But with no feedback or detail, what can a reader conclude? One possible explanation is that these ratings were based on perception of complexity, without hands-on experience. I have a feeling that is more likely. I would really like to hear back from these members if they really have hands-on experience as such, but without their input, these numbers, to me, are hard to understand. I'm sure the group would like this feedback as well....

Scottatl- thanks for posing the question- it's been very interesting. What are your impressions?

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 08-08-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

Great post. I have to compliment Andrew at Jaguar Specialties as he provides good products and is such a knowledgeable person which is so important when you do these type of upgrades. I highly recommend Andrew for your LS swap as well as parts. Andrew helped me get many parts new and used for my Jag, thanks Andrew!

While I have not done an LS on these new Jaguar's I do know that when there is no kit made for them the LS swap can easily be a 10. I put an aluminum block LS truck engine in my 1963 Jaguar 3.8s which requires many custom fabrication items to make it work properly. It was a lot of work and money but well worth it.

For all of you local in California whom do an LS swap, I highly recommend Matt Gower at GP Tuning 650 302 1574 gptuning@gmail.com I completed my 3.8s LS Jag about a year ago and last month I had Matt tune my LS and that was one of the best things to gain power! He drove the car tuned the car, drove the car, tuned the car, over and over, etc. for several hours and now the car runs so much more smoother, has no throttle bogging, and is just a dream to drive. My Jaguar will do 0-60 in 3.9 to 4.0 seconds, is a sleeper and drives smooth thru the entire power band. I have over 45,000 miles on the car in the first year and is one of the most enjoyable daily driver cars I have owned. The car handles well, and is a constant head turner. FYI I would say a LS V8 swap done cleanly will in my opinion increase the value of the car. I already have had offers for my car of for $60K, well over a stock 3.8s.

Last edited by primaz; 08-17-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:09 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I spoke with Andrew on the phone about his kit last summer, as I was looking at a $2000 XK8 Coupe with a bad transmission. Ultimately I decided to go with a running car, but I wanted to chime in here generally on the subject of engine swaps.

There is always someone who says "it isn't worth the money" or "that's not practical". Well, then sell your Jag and buy a Toyota. My Jag purchase was totally an emotional decision based on how much "disposable income" my wife allows me for "play". Everyone's financial circumstances are different, as well as their skills with tools, and what they consider a fun part of the hobby, so it's a useless argument. I personally enjoy wrenching on my old cars as much as driving them, but I digress...

You can't compare an engine swap to changing a tire, you can only compare it to other engine swaps and even then, no two are alike. If you have ever done an engine swap on a vehicle for which there was no kit, then you truly know pain. I've done a couple of Jeeps, older British cars and a water-cooled VW. My son and I are currently planning swapping a FWD Honda J35A4 V6 and a miata transmission into his '74 MGB. a Those are a "10", as I have had to (and will have to again) machine parts, torch off motor mounts and weld/fabricate new ones. Electrical? Get out both the engine schematic, the body schematic, a case of beer and start tracing out every.single.circuit. Then spend a week troubleshooting. On my last Jeep project, there where 85 separate circuits. Same for transmission mounts, transmission controls, exhaust, the list goes on. Andrew's kit eliminates most all of that nonsense and makes this prospect a "bolt-on" for the most part. I rated this a "four" from experience with swaps without using a kit.

-Cabel

The following users liked this post:
enderle (01-22-2017)