XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid Change / Fill from top / squeal bark sound

Old 03-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Change / Fill from top / squeal bark sound

A lot has been written and speculated about that here. Some of XK have the squeal sound when upshifting under full load.
I had that sound. So I thought instead of filling in additive I just change the trans fluid. Well, easier said then done. I drained the fluid. Got most of it out as I ended up with about 8 quarts of old fluid.
But trying to refill the trans fully through the hard to get to fill plug is an ordeal. I even ask the tech and my Jag dealership if there is a trick. He responded "most of us are ending up wearing the wearing trans fluid and the shop smells for 2 days.
So, I picked up on somebody's idea to fill through trans cooler hose. Guess what? That is SOOO MUCH EASIER.
Just disconnect hose on top of trans fuild cooler (left side of radiator top). Get one of those hose attachment thingies for oil bootles, a funnel or whaever works. I slid a clear tube right over the attachment nipple of the hose and filled the oil in. Obviously it runs downward. Of course make sure you check either make sure you fill in same qty you drained and check level as per procedure specd at bottom fill plug.
I didn't spill a drip of trans fluid AND the trans is now shifting like well, as perfect as can be. And the squeak noise is gone, too.
So, don't even try to get a hose into the bottom fill hole. It keeps sliding out, spilling and so on. Can't get to it easy anyways. Fill through cooler hose. The fluid ends up in the same place.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (04-02-2017)
Old 03-04-2011, 05:14 PM

Oh yes and.....I simply used Valvoline MAX LIFE DEX/MERC. After some research and looking at spec sheets I didn't see any benefit to use anything else. It's synthetic and exceeds all specs. Jaguar or not, its a German Transmission also used in Ford and other cars. Just because we have a leaper on the car doesn't mean you get more if you pay more. At least that is my personal opinion. Mileage on my 2003 XK is 72,000

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (04-02-2017)
Old 03-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

You are correct, and 72K miles is perfect time to change it. I did at 69K and ended up draining brown stench. Although, it is different fluid for w5a580 transmission (aka Chrysler NAG1) from early XKR, these take Mercedes fluid, or ATF +4.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I just changed my fluid/pan, so by the end of the day tomorrow (or maybe even tonight) I'll have a video uploaded.

Mish, I'm not sure about your car because it has a different transmission than mine, but on the 2003+ XKs there's no way to measure the fluid level if you fill it the way you described. You can put back in the same amount that came out, but what if it was low?

Gears, I just looked at the Valvoline website and they say that the Max Life is compatible with Mercon SP. That's what is used in the Ford version of the 6HP26. But it also says it is compatible with Mercon and Mercon V. That's odd because every other brand of ATF I've looked at treats Mercon V differently than Mercon SP. The other brands all have an ATF that is compatible with Mercon V and then another that is compatible with Mercon SP. They say not to mix them. The Max Life is the first one I've seen that says it's compatible with either. That's kinda weird...

The following 2 users liked this post by Reverend Sam:
Danster (03-04-2011), Orthodixie (04-02-2017)
Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to that video Rev. (I sure am glad I have an '03 cause Rev's videos are a real help to me)

Old 03-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

This will be my longest video ever. It's 28 minutes plus commercials. It's rendering right now, but my computer isn't very fast. Then I'll have to upload it. Then write up the description... Hopefully I'll be done tomorrow morning. I'm getting better at editing, but I need to learn how to bleep the dirty words. This video is going to be a PG-13 for sure.

The following 2 users liked this post by Reverend Sam:
gears (03-05-2011), Orthodixie (04-02-2017)
Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Can't wait till you pull the gas tank for the fuel pump replacement. We might be looking at an X-rating for language on that one.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam

Mish, I'm not sure about your car because it has a different transmission than mine, but on the 2003+ XKs there's no way to measure the fluid level if you fill it the way you described. You can put back in the same amount that came out, but what if it was low?
True, I still have pipe for the dipstick, so I used dealer dipstick tool to measure level.

Yesterday I got a hold of Amsoil ATF , so now I will do full drain (hopefully utilizing your technique) and refill with Amsoil.
Ever since I did four initial drains and fills, my transmission has not had a single freak out, where it would downshift to first gear and then get stuck in it until 3500rpm, then shift up with a major jerk.
So now is the perfect time to do a final flush with expensive, permanent fluid.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Gears, you didn't say whether the fluid change has had any effect on the infamous 'bark'. I would like to know before I have a go at doing my car with the help of Rev's video.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:23 PM

Referend Sam, I tripped over the same questions with the Valvoline Max Life and thought the same thing. Weird to be compatible with all of them. I went to the Valvoline Website, and in addition compared the detailed specs of the different oils. Seems to be fine. I am no expert so I relied on what it states. Im mean Valvoline is a brand name. I can only assume its OK based on the specs.
Filling from top is OK, but I do recommend to check level afterwards per the specified procedure. (At the fill plug, correct temp and shifting through gear selector as specified.)
I am just happy the trans works like, well, I can't think it could be better. Like new or even better.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:25 PM

I thought I did state regarding the bark noise. Well, it did the trick. That noise is gone. I had it out twice on the backroads. ONce with a fairly cold trans and then with a hot one. In both cases no more bark noise under full load. That was the reason I did it in the first place. I knew it was trial and error. But rather then using an additive I chose the Valvoline Max Life as it already has all kind of additives in for older or noisy trans. All I can say, it worked on my 2003 XK8 with 72,000 mls on.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:28 PM

One more thing. My old trans fluid looked and smelled pretty OK after the 72,000 mls. Not too brown or smelly (besides the inherent weird smell it has). So call me an idiot, I did not change the pan and filter. Didn't see the need and didn't have the parts. BUT I am not recommending it. While you are going through the hole thing it makes more sense to do so. And probably should have. I don't thing it will be an issue though. Trans is sealed and meant to be left alone for life anyways. Time will tell.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 PM

I just completed the change of my transmission fluid and filter on my '99 XK8. I just couldn't believe the fluid was "life-time". I am glad to see other people have changed the fluid as well. I have 55,000 miles on the car. I was able to find the Esso ATF LT 71141 fluid and it cost me US$19.81 / qt. Before I launched into this project I read up on the 5HP24 transmission on the ZF website (www.zf.com) the Bulletin TE-ML 11 was very interesting, especially where it provides a complete list of the 11B compatible fluids on page 5. (Esso AFT LT 71141 is listed under 11B) I would love to find a chemical analysis of the difference between all of the different types of fluids. When I used to help at my Dad's you knew it was transmission fluid because it was red. Ha Ha what a difference today.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member

I just realized that my "bark" is completely gone. I added a bottle of the additive about 6 months ago, but it didn't completely eliminate the problem. I still had a little chirp between 1st and 2nd when accelerating hard. It was still there after putting in the Mercon SP, but now that I've put a few hundred miles on it, the bark is now non-existent.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

This is something I am going to do later this summer. I have a 2000 XK8 with the 5HP24 trans. Did you do the work yourself? Anything you can share about your experiences? Any problems we should know about?
Thanks

Old 03-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Barickman
This is something I am going to do later this summer. I have a 2000 XK8 with the 5HP24 trans. Did you do the work yourself? Anything you can share about your experiences? Any problems we should know about?
Thanks

Sam has made a video.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...deo-faq-50868/

You have the 5 speed ZF, not the 6, but I believe the procedure is similar.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Link?

Originally Posted by salbrechtnh
I just completed the change of my transmission fluid and filter on my '99 XK8. I just couldn't believe the fluid was "life-time". I am glad to see other people have changed the fluid as well. I have 55,000 miles on the car. I was able to find the Esso ATF LT 71141 fluid and it cost me US$19.81 / qt. Before I launched into this project I read up on the 5HP24 transmission on the ZF website (www.zf.com) the Bulletin TE-ML 11 was very interesting, especially where it provides a complete list of the 11B compatible fluids on page 5. (Esso AFT LT 71141 is listed under 11B) I would love to find a chemical analysis of the difference between all of the different types of fluids. When I used to help at my Dad's you knew it was transmission fluid because it was red. Ha Ha what a difference today.
Do you still have a link to that bulletin? I was all over their website and could not fine it.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Passive flush

Originally Posted by gears
So, I picked up on somebody's idea to fill through trans cooler hose. Guess what? That is SOOO MUCH EASIER.
You should be able to drain it the same way - disconnect the cooling line at the radiator and let the internal transmission pump drain the fluid. Fill at the same time until the color changes...

It's certainly not the approved way but it's worked for me on other cars.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spurlee
Do you still have a link to that bulletin? I was all over their website and could not fine it.

Thanks
I have a copy of the Bulletin if you would like. I tried to attach the pdf to this reply but I cannot see how that is accomplished. I am new to the forum so I might be missing the obvious.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by salbrechtnh
I have a copy of the Bulletin if you would like. I tried to attach the pdf to this reply but I cannot see how that is accomplished. I am new to the forum so I might be missing the obvious.
You have restricted privileges until you have ten posts or so. So go to the "Girls on Cars" thread, post four pictures of girls on cars, then come back here and post the PDF.

By the way, in my opinion, the CARS in the "Girls on Cars" thread are optional. As long as you post a picture of a sexy babe I think you've fulfilled the spirit of the thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change / Fill from top / squeal bark sound