Sponsored by:

Twisted Seatbelt

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Twisted Seatbelt

My seatbelt is twisted thus:

I noticed the hex bolt on the floor, but knowing Jaguar, I can't imagine it's as simple as removing the hex bolt, lifting the rod, sliding the belt loop off and untwisting it, then sliding it back on and bolting the rod back down. There's gotta be a trick somewhere in the process to get trapped by.

Is it really that straightforward? Must be getting JagDIY paranoia...

Old 01-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

If your model has pretensioners be aware that part of the job is to disconnect the battery.

Seatbelts also sometimes get twisted inside the reel.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Skid Mark I would think that the belt must have twisted itself on the door post.
Can you double it over on itself to get it back in sinc?

Cheers Al

Old 01-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

pull it all the way out, twist it correctly as close to the reel end as possible (yes even past the guide-loop-thingy, and cross your fingers as it retracts

Old 01-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
If your model has pretensioners be aware that part of the job is to disconnect the battery.

Seatbelts also sometimes get twisted inside the reel.
It seems ok in the reel, winds and unwinds smoothly. Not sure about pretensioners, this is the driver's belt.

Originally Posted by Alag
Hi Skid Mark I would think that the belt must have twisted itself on the door post.
Can you double it over on itself to get it back in sinc?

Cheers Al
Doesn't seem to want to resolve that way, even if I reverse it in the mount it's still twisted, just in another place.

I noticed the "Jaguar" label at the bottom of the belt in facing inside the cabin on both driver's and passenger's belts. Shouldn't they be facing the same direction? The passenger belt is not twisted.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

The labels should both either face in or face out. The belts are unique to each side.

If the belt retracts fully and quickly, then twisting in the reel is less likely to be the cause. But, you have to pull them all the way out to determine this, not just to your usual position.

In that case, it is a case of remounting the seatbelt.

You need to lookup whether or not you have pretensioners in JTIS to get a definitive answer. It is an explosive device. If you blow it, you get to buy new seatbelts. They are not cheap.

The following users liked this post:
Skid Mark (01-14-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
The labels should both either face in or face out. The belts are unique to each side.

If the belt retracts fully and quickly, then twisting in the reel is less likely to be the cause. But, you have to pull them all the way out to determine this, not just to your usual position.

In that case, it is a case of remounting the seatbelt.

You need to lookup whether or not you have pretensioners in JTIS to get a definitive answer. It is an explosive device. If you blow it, you get to buy new seatbelts. They are not cheap.
That's how it happened then. They installed a passenger belt on the driver's side, but placed the label inwards which twisted the belt. I thought that might be the case.

Sounds like a dealer should correct that.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
They installed a passenger belt on the driver's side, but placed the label inwards which twisted the belt.
Unlikely unless it was replaced. Look at the part numbers. Different for each side.

Skid Mark (01-14-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  19.3 KB

Whoa Skidmark....and here I thought I was **** about this kind of stuff....lol
Nice to know I'm not alone and hope you get it sorted my friend.

With guys like Plums / Rev Sam / Brutal / H20boy / WhiteXKR and all the other legends around you know the fix is out there

Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

you cannot put the driver belt on the pass and vs. the ball locking ramps will keep you from pulling the belts out. you dont have to do anything more than taking out the torx bolt and flipping the belt. THIS IS ASSUMING its not twisted. Pull the trim off around the belt where it goes into the back seat casing and pull it out to check with a small bright light. It can twist and there is a metal straightener behind the panel you cant see that if the web has gotten twisted behind it you wont see it or know. it will keep it twisted behind it. if this is the case just double it over on itself and feed it back through to straighten. FYI. unhook battery?? never done that

Skid Mark (01-14-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
you cannot put the driver belt on the pass and vs. the ball locking ramps will keep you from pulling the belts out. you dont have to do anything more than taking out the torx bolt and flipping the belt. THIS IS ASSUMING its not twisted. Pull the trim off around the belt where it goes into the back seat casing and pull it out to check with a small bright light. It can twist and there is a metal straightener behind the panel you cant see that if the web has gotten twisted behind it you wont see it or know. it will keep it twisted behind it. if this is the case just double it over on itself and feed it back through to straighten. FYI. unhook battery?? never done that
You can't fault that logic. The pretensioner must be in the reel assembly and have nothing to do with the bottom rail. Also it has to be triggered by the same impact sensor that sets off the airbag.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64

Whoa Skidmark....and here I thought I was **** about this kind of stuff....lol
Nice to know I'm not alone and hope you get it sorted my friend.

With guys like Plums / Rev Sam / Brutal / H20boy / WhiteXKR and all the other legends around you know the fix is out there
Wouldn't mind except it makes it a pain to put on and also a twisted belt isn't as strong as a straight one in a collision.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
I pulled the belt all the way out from the reel and it's smooth opearting and flat all the way, doesn't appear to be twisted around the top anywhere. The problem is by all indications where it appears to be, which is at the bottom.

Any problems with unbolting the floor mount and taking the twist out down there? My concern is with getting the bolt back in, and any structural issues that might occur there. Carpet covering the floor, can't really see the site.

Last edited by Skid Mark; 01-14-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Skid Mark,

The Parts Catalogue shows the hex bolt, a spacer and a washer:

XK8 Seat Belt.pdf

This has to go into a captive nut like the seat runners so looks like a straightforward removal / replacement.

Skid Mark (01-14-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Ah ha! That's what I was hoping, thanks for confirming!