Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:10 AM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Two questions...

Hi All,

I have two questions for the great minds here...

First, my convertible top pump needs to be replaced. That process is in the works, but in the mean time, I would like to raise & lower the roof manually. I've opened the valve at the pump that releases the hydraulic pressure in the lines. I am able to easily raise & lower the roof manually, locking it with the 8 mm allen wrench supplied by Jaguar. My question is I am wondering how I can manually operate the rear windows? Is there a way to "jump" power to the motors to raise them up? (Getting them down is easy, that portion of the power roof operation still works).

Second: I am hearing some noise in the overhead windshield frame. I suspect something has come loose & is rattling around. How do I access the roof latch mechanisms & other components that are housed in that area to investigate and tighten the source of my rattling?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Old 05-21-2015, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Tom,

If you don't mind my asking ... what has led you to conclude that your pump needs to be replaced?

Old 05-21-2015, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Here's a post on getting the rear windows up, note if you install the switch you can do this anytime with the top down.https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...op-down-37826/

Old 05-21-2015, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Same question.

I have never heard of a pump failure and only 2 pump motor failures, both of which were repaired.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:48 PM

Dennis & Test Point,

I'm relaying to you what I've been told - don't hold it against me if this doesn't make sense!

An acquaintance/friend who is a certified Jaguar mechanic & works at a local Jaguar dealership, replaced the convertible top hydraulic lines for me. During this process, he found that the plastic coating on all of the hydraulic lines had dried out and disintegrated (I personally saw this), as had the electrical connector to the "up" solenoid on the hydraulic pump. While moving the pump to add fluid, the connection to the "up" solenoid broke off. According to him, he tried replacing the solenoid but it did not work (bad replacement solenoid?). As I said in my original post, he will be addressing this issue for me.

Because I needed the car back while he was obtaining the parts to fix the hydraulic system, he put the rear windows up for my. My wife forgot that we weren't to use the power top features & hit the down button to lower the top and lowering the rear windows.

We are going away for the weekend and planning to take the Jag. That brings me to question #1 - how to raise the windows manually. I will check out the link that was posted - hopefully this will help me.

Question #2 is because since the hydraulic lines were replaced, I started to hear the rattling I described. Rather than bother my friend, or drive the car all weekend with the noise, I thought I could probably figure out how (with a little help from this Forum, I hope) to access the area above the windshield & then identify what was loose and tighten it myself.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Tom,

Thanks for the detailed info. If your friend is taking care of getting the pump fixed/replaced, 'nuf said on that topic.

You've tried just pressing the roof rocker switch in the "raise top" direction to raise the windows? If no joy that way, there's a procedure to jump relays to force it ... that's probably what's in the link already posted.

Use the forum's search function, with a query something like "noise above windshield". This should bring up threads on how to remove the top panel, exposing the latch actuator and other stuff. I recall seeing such threads. There are two screws, one at each end of the panel, that are really tough to find first time through. You have to sort of peel back weather stripping to find these.

Good luck!

Last edited by Dennis07; 05-21-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

As Dennis said you can jumper the windows to go up, but if the top closed limit switch is not engaged, then the windows will not go up with the switch. You may need to exert a little bit of extra force at the ram to engage the limit switch upon manually closing then try the top switch to see of the windows close.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback - I will try to search for the "noise above the windshield" threads.

As for the rear windows going up with the switch - remember that the "up" solenoid to the pump is broken off. That seems to have disabled the rear windows from functioning, even if the top is manually locked down - good thought though!

Old 05-21-2015, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Any number of pump solenoids have been destroyed by owners or technicians screwing with them. They do not just 'FAIL'. The connectors to the solenoids are difficult to remove and usually results in breaking the very fine wire winding connection. Some have been able to re solder the connection but it takes the right equipment and the knowledge to do it.

Still no pump failure.

The following users liked this post:
Dennis07 (05-22-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:27 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by TPBachur
Dennis & Test Point,
While moving the pump to add fluid, the connection to the "up" solenoid broke off.
First thing is to NEVER move the pump to add fluid!!!! A short 13mm open end wrench for the cap. Then........

Get a small plastic 'squeeze' bottle and fill with CHF11S fluid with a flexible hose, Stick you arm under the rear fender area and fill the reservoir without disturbing any components.

The less you 'mess' with something, the less chance of breaking something.

I have a small bottle that I keep full of the 'green' fluid. I also have some for brake fluid, ATF, engine oil etc.

Sometimes you just have to put fluid into something that cannot be reached by pouring.

bob gauff

The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Gus (05-21-2015), Jon89 (05-22-2015), sklimii (05-22-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 09:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Remember raising the windows up without the roof being locked in the closed position could add stress to the windows.

As for the solenoid it can be repaired/replaced by Top Hydraulics.

Last edited by Gus; 05-22-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:51 AM

Thanks again for all of your feedback. I've resolved both issues, at least enough to feel safe taking the car on our trip this weekend.

I started to install the switch to raise the rear windows described in the link provided earlier in this thread. I got stuck when I watched the YouTube video and realized that the wires that were identified to splice were different colors than described on my car.

I ended up calling my Jaguar mechanic friend & he showed me how to remove the caps off if the rear window relays in the trunk & then "squeeze" the relay to make a connection & raise each window individually. Not a perfect solution, but it works for the very short term.

The rattle that I was hearing ended up being a loose rear view mirror. I was able to play with the Allen screw inside the mirror mount and get that tightened up!

Have a great weekend & thanks again for all of your help!

Old 05-22-2015, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member

Well done!

Just a quick clarification on the solenoids, should you ever need to deal with them again:

There are two of them of course. The one with the blue label controls the latch, the other one the top itself. They are directional -- as opposed to on/off -- and permit flow in one direction when powered, the other direction when unpowered. A broken solenoid connector may be repairable at little or no cost, but requires someone with a good hand at soldering or otherwise connecting to very fine wire.

Last edited by Dennis07; 05-22-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:29 AM

Dennis,

Thanks, that added information is good to know. Hopefully I won't have to deal with this issus again once my pump motor is repaired!

Enjoy your holiday weekend!

Old 05-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I see that you have the windows up and that is a good thing. Just remember that if the rams are not locked in the up position the roof will flex as you are driving and any road vibration will cause added stress to the windows and the associated linkage.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey! Where was all this advice when I was asking about the solenoid issues? If anyone has a place to contact that can fix a solenoid with a pulled out electrical connector, let me know! I ran all over Albuquerque looking for this and found nothing. I would also be interested in knowing who to buy these solenoids from. I hunted for months for a vendor! Found the manufacturer but could not get through to them!

While I'm on the subject, how do you take apart the lift cylinder? After replacing the right rear window regulator, I failed to notice my cylinder came out of its pivot points and managed to shear off the electrical connector at the top. I contacted Convertible Top guys, they said weld it back on. Great, but I dont want to melt the O rings in this thing!
Many thanks for your help!!!