XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Sensors / ABS & TRAC Error

Old 07-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Sensors / ABS & TRAC Error

You all helped me once before and I really appreciated that.

I need the Wheel Sensors and ABS Wiring Diagram for 2001 XK8 convertible.

I have the usual problem like everyone else of the ASC/TRAC error message on my dash and ABS doesn't work. I would like to check the plug in connector on the ABS module to see what the resistance is for each wheel sensor that way I can see which one is giving the problem, which appears to be a common issue other than the ABS module being bad.

I already took out the front sensors and cleaned them since the right side had metal particles stuck to it so I thought that might be it, but still error. I reset the codes after replacing the battery (I have heard of low batteries giving a problem, and my battery was 8 years old and weak) and touching the pos and neg cables together for a couple of seconds to discharge any capacitors, but still error.

What should the resistance be for the wheel sensors and ABS pump motor?

Also, when I read my codes after driving the car, it says P1000 Pending. Do you also have a list of Jaguar codes?

Other than the usual cracked thermostat housing, she has been a wonderful car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and you all have a great day.

Jim

Old 07-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

hey jim, don't know if this will help you or not, but this is what the JTIS had on the ABS wiring diagram

Larger Version HERE

If P1000 is stored in memory, the onboard diagnostics are not complete. The DTC codes vary from VIN number to Vin. Send me your vin on email, and i can email you the P codes for your particular vehicle. It's like 30 pages.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:24 AM

Hmm I have a similar occassional problem on the XK8, but thankfully it does clear (at the moment) with a power on/off reset. Stangely enough I also had a SatNav disk error recently and I am beginning to wonder if the battery getting a bit old and causing power drops at startup. Note about Dave Marks is very helpful. Her indoors had a similar problem on a Teves system on a Golf, that too was a £1k component, but warranty covered. No one in VW mentioned the possibility of ability to repair, maybe cars are just too complex these days.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Hey tvstarmaker, I saw that you said you cleaned the front wheel sensors, but did you clean the rear ones? I just cleaned mine the other day. The front ones were dusty, but the rear ones were caked with grease and other muck. The rear sensors are very easy to access, but the sensor end is buried down in a metal housing which seems to collect dirt. The front ones are exposed and get rinsed off when driving in the rain. Check out this post:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37434

Before going to the trouble and expense of changing out a $1500 brake modulator, take off your rear wheels and clean the rear sensors. It's as easy as changing a tire, honestly.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

satnav disc error got progressively frequent on my car, its not battery related. The navigation unit can't keep the spinning going anymore to read the disc.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Default Fixed

Good advice here. Cleaned rear wheel sensors with wd40 & took the light corrosion off the metal strips. Problem now seems fixed. Cost of one hour of my time nil, cost of new sensor=something considerably bigger than nil. Good luck folks

Old 06-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Glad it worked! I've had zero problems since I cleaned mine a week and a half ago, so I am certain that was the problem on mine. I wonder how many of those things have been replaced unnecessarily.