XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Does anyone have Powerfold Mirrors?
I have a US spec Convertible with Powerfold mirrors
10.26%
I have a US spec Coupe with Powerfold mirrors
7.69%
I have a non-US spec Convertible with Powerfold mirrors
25.64%
I have a non-US spec Coupe with Powerfold mirrors
56.41%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Who has Powerfold Mirrors?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Was reverse dipping available without the power fold? Or were they always combined?
A short answer is yes , 98 XK8 coupé non US with memory seats dipped when engaging reverse by pulling the toggle back and returned to the memory setting when the gear selector was moved out of reverse , this operated on the L/H mirror only which is of course the passenger side in the UK ,
A couple of years ago I retro fitted powerfold mirrors which was a simple plug and play after the module had been reprogrammed by my friendly Jaguar Master Technician on the main agents WDS

I would really like the option of windows up/mirrors in and vice-versa on my coupé please WhiteXKR !!!!!!!!! ,

All the best ,

Nik

PS As far as I'm aware here in the UK all XKR's had power-fold mirrors as standard , it's was an optional extra on XK8's

Last edited by NikasilNik; 07-12-2012 at 02:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
plums (07-22-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by NikasilNik
A short answer is yes , 98 XK8 coupé non US with memory seats dipped when engaging reverse by pulling the toggle back and returned to the memory setting when the gear selector was moved out of reverse , this operated on the L/H mirror only which is of course the passenger side in the UK ,
A couple of years ago I retro fitted powerfold mirrors which was a simple plug and play after the module had been reprogrammed by my friendly Jaguar Master Technician on the main agents WDS

I would really like the option of windows up/mirrors in and vice-versa on my coupé please WhiteXKR !!!!!!!!! ,

All the best ,

Nik

PS As far as I'm aware here in the UK all XKR's had power-fold mirrors as standard , it's was an optional extra on XK8's

I have not forgotten you Nik.

I think though it might be most useful to decouple operation with the windows. What I am thinking (using the remote key fob on a coupe) is:
  • Unlock button- Unfolds mirror
  • Headlamp button + Unlock button- Opens window and unfolds mirror
  • Lock Button- Folds mirror
  • Headlamp button + Lock button- Closes window and folds mirror
What do you think?

Old 07-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I have not forgotten you Nik.

I think though it might be most useful to decouple operation with the windows. What I am thinking (using the remote key fob on a coupe) is:
  • Unlock button- Unfolds mirror
  • Headlamp button + Unlock button- Opens window and unfolds mirror
  • Lock Button- Folds mirror
  • Headlamp button + Lock button- Closes window and folds mirror
What do you think?
Yes , I think that would work well for me as I don't keep my car in a tight garage but have a large workshop , however it may not work as well for someone who has a garage with tight clearances as they may have to fold the mirrors to enable the car to fit without scraping , just a thought ,

All the very best ,

Nik

Old 07-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Default Operational Question

For those of you that have the power fold feature, my understanding is with the Left/Right mirror selector switch is in the OFF position, when you pull the mirror joystick REARWARD you alternate between folding and unfolding with each successive pull.

Can someone check to see if anything happens when the Left/Right mirror selector switch is in the OFF position and you push the mirror joystock FORWARD? Try it with both the mirror folded and unfolded.

Thank you!

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-21-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NikasilNik
Yes , I think that would work well for me as I don't keep my car in a tight garage but have a large workshop , however it may not work as well for someone who has a garage with tight clearances as they may have to fold the mirrors to enable the car to fit without scraping , just a thought ,

All the very best ,

Nik
just wondering...if the mirrors scrape on the wall of the garage ,,how do they open the door to get out of the car

Old 07-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

For those of you that have the power fold feature, my understanding is with the Left/Right mirror selector switch is in the OFF position, when you pull the mirror joystick REARWARD you alternate between folding and unfolding with each successive pull.

Can someone check to see if anything happens when the Left/Right mirror selector switch is in the OFF position and you push the mirror joystock FORWARD? Try it with both the mirror folded and unfolded.

Thank you!
Your understanding is correct. Furthermore, if you push the joystick forwards, nothing happens, folded or not.

A couple of points that are less obvious; after folding/unfolding the mirrors you have to wait for about five seconds for the system to reset itself before they can be unfolded/folded again and the fold/unfold operation is available for only about 30 seconds after the ignition is switched off.

I have a home made module in the driver's door of my XK8 that folds the mirrors on Double Locking the doors, then unfolds them on the next occasion of Single Locking them - that is normally after returning to the car, unlocking it, getting in, restarting it and engaging Drive, that immediately locks the doors and unfolds the mirrors. By using a combination of two miniature self locking relays, only one unfold operation is allowed until the next double locking not only folds them again, but also resets the relays for the next cycle. The only niggling feature is that the double lock/fold operation must be done within 30 seconds of switching the ignition off for the reasons given earlier! other than that, no amount of unlocking and locking as passengers get in and out have any effect on the mirrors. The original manual fold/unfold remains unaltered.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by astromorg
Your understanding is correct. Furthermore, if you push the joystick forwards, nothing happens, folded or not.

A couple of points that are less obvious; after folding/unfolding the mirrors you have to wait for about five seconds for the system to reset itself before they can be unfolded/folded again and the fold/unfold operation is available for only about 30 seconds after the ignition is switched off.

I have a home made module in the driver's door of my XK8 that folds the mirrors on Double Locking the doors, then unfolds them on the next occasion of Single Locking them - that is normally after returning to the car, unlocking it, getting in, restarting it and engaging Drive, that immediately locks the doors and unfolds the mirrors. By using a combination of two miniature self locking relays, only one unfold operation is allowed until the next double locking not only folds them again, but also resets the relays for the next cycle. The only niggling feature is that the double lock/fold operation must be done within 30 seconds of switching the ignition off for the reasons given earlier! other than that, no amount of unlocking and locking as passengers get in and out have any effect on the mirrors. The original manual fold/unfold remains unaltered.

Thank you! This is very helpful information.

One thing I need to consider is that double locking is not implemented in US market vehicles, so I may have to have slightly different operation for these.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I have had quite a few requests for TheJagWrangler Convertible Remote Top Controller and Coupe Remote Window Controller to also control the Powerfold mirror option.

Back when I designed the units, I did not even know Powerfold mirrors were an option!

I am nearing the time to reorder the the circuit boards, so I thought I would add this feature before I make any more.

Just wondering, who has Powerfold mirrors?
In your poll, why not add a selection for cars w/o power fold? That way you'll know your potential market better (IMO)
I say build it and they will come.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonJag
My 97 has reverse dipping. Really a nice feature.
  1. Put it in reverse
  2. Pull back on the mirror adjuster joy stick - you don't need to switch to the passenger side
  3. one bump = 7 deg down, two bumps = 14 deg down
  4. When you put it in Drive or Park the mirror returns to where it started.
..and no power fold mirrors, but I still want one of Steve's TheJagWrangler Convertible Remote Top Controller
I don't have powerfold mirrors on either my 97 XK8 or 05 XKR.

I have triggered the rev dip before, but thanks for the more thorough explanation!

Old 10-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Reverse dip is a feature I've enjoyed in my BMWs. I had no idea it was in the XK. I haven't tested yet, so we'll see.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,336 Likes on 722 Posts

Awesomesauce! I tried the reverse dip, thanks to this thread and it worked. But, it doesn't work as smoothly as I expected. Do I have to give the stick a quick bump or do I have to hold it? I got it to work the first time this morning, and then later this afternoon, but, when I put the car in drive to parallel park and then finally in reverse a second time and gave it a nudge to have it dip again, since it reverted to the original position, I couldn't get it to dip. Is there a time lapse between dips? This all happened within seconds.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The power fold mirrors were standard fitted in the Japanese market. The X300, for example was fitted with power fold mirrors back in 1995 in Japan. For the other countries it was an option - called mirror pack.
I have seen a few pictures from the model with the power fold mirrors and a button next to the buttons for the windows.

Last edited by Urchins; 10-22-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my Jag, I have to move the button for the mirror switch to show the passengers side and after moving to "Reverse", I am giving it the nudge to have it dip.