XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will XKR and XK8 be a future classic

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 10:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
In my opinion Datsun ruined the Z-car for the 1975 model year and beyond. The 240 and 260 had the twin Hitachi carburetors. Starting in 1975 with the 280, everything was fuel injected. Today, the original 240 is probably the most valuable and most desirable (although the sheet metal steel quality was not the best and the vast majority of Z-cars built in the 1970s have long since rusted away)....
I've never owned a "Z", but I bought a new 4WD pickup in 1984 down in San Jose, and at that time, the dealer was actually unabashedly adding a "Dealer's Premium" right on the window price sticker. As I recall, the premium for my new truck was $1,100. Coincidentally, Datsun/Nissan was celebrating their 50th anniversary in 1984 with the release of their special edition 300ZX .. Silver of course. Naturally I went over and oo'd and awed at that beauty while perusing the dealership. The "Dealer's Premium" for the 300ZX was $10,000, which brought the price up to about $25,000.

Now my question is .. how come it's always the bad guys driving the Jag's in the Bond movies? For sure, I love my '03 XK8, and hardly ever take her over half speed .. really ocifer

Old 05-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by attaboy
...and hardly ever take her over half speed...
"half speed"

Old 05-25-2016, 05:22 PM
Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Default All Manufacturers Ruin Cars

At my age I have owned many 60 & 70's cars along with a 240Z. Name one a manufacturer and the government didn't ruin by 1979 including my current 79 MGB, which thank God has lost it's rubber.

Bought a 90 300ZX which was a true GT until Nissan replaced it with a go kart version.

The thing that bothers me most right now is the rear and side impact regulations that removed all but a sliver of glass from almost everything including Jaguars. Next you'll need a periscope, then after that ....no need at all because they will have outlawed drivers.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

The XK8/R will be a classic sought after car. Already in the Uk they are becoming quite scarce and sought after. Of course you can pick a heap of junk for relatively small money but my car has tripled in value since I bought it.

When my insurance was due they asked me to value the car. I always believe that something is only worth what someone will pay for it. So I looked on several well known car selling sites and I could not find any that were in good as condition as mine and my colour combination. Zircon Blue and Ivory leather. Even so the ones advertised were between twice and three times what I paid for mine originally.

What makes a classic car? Looks and rarity and that extra something all of which the XK8/R has.

Name:  May%202016.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  222.9 KB

Would you want to own the one above?

Last edited by frankc; 05-30-2016 at 05:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CA Jag (03-30-2021)
Old 05-31-2016, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc
The XK8/R will be a classic sought after car. Already in the Uk they are becoming quite scarce and sought after. Of course you can pick a heap of junk for relatively small money but my car has tripled in value since I bought it.

When my insurance was due they asked me to value the car. I always believe that something is only worth what someone will pay for it. So I looked on several well known car selling sites and I could not find any that were in good as condition as mine and my colour combination. Zircon Blue and Ivory leather. Even so the ones advertised were between twice and three times what I paid for mine originally.

What makes a classic car? Looks and rarity and that extra something all of which the XK8/R has.

You have a beautiful car, but I think all of the x100s are beautiful and I really don't care how much that are worth in the future.

Mark

The following users liked this post:
frankc (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you Mark. Nice of you to say so.

As I said above I too am not really interested in the cash value. That only comes into the equation when something (touch wood etc) happens to it and you need to buy another.

I have no intentions of selling it. Just a week or so ago I was approached by a stranger in a car park who asked about the car. Ended up him offering slightly under three times what I paid for it. After refusing 2 other offers from him the price had gone above three times what I paid for it. As I said to him I have no intention of selling it.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by beg3yrs
Yeah, I've been kind of quiet here for the past couple of years. Still, my XK8 is my daily driver and it's off at the upholstery shop getting new leather seats installed. Anyway, my time's been taken up with a restoration project. A 260Z that is now a show winner....

I really think these two cars complement each other.

Is that a factory Datsun/Nissan color, and if so what year/paint code? Once again that's a beautiful car!

Old 06-01-2016, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by frankc

I don't normally like light blue cars BUT I love your Xkr!

And I understand what your saying because I get approached every time I'm out driving my car or come back with a business card/note on the dash offering to purchase it.

Last edited by The_Ikon; 06-01-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for saying that. A lot of people have said how much they like the colour. I also think the hard work I put in on the shine helps too. You cannot really tell on the photo but it does have a mirror finish now.

I have actually improved it a little more since this photo was taken.

Name:  20160313_154743.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  185.4 KB

Last edited by frankc; 06-01-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:58 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Ikon
Is that a factory Datsun/Nissan color, and if so what year/paint code? Once again that's a beautiful car!
Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated. You can follow the whole history (if you're really bored) over on a Z forum at: 260Z Restoration as a Retirement Project - ZDriver.com

It is a factory color but it doesn't belong to Nissan. It comes from a Lexus and is called Crystal Crimson Shine, code 3S8. It's also called Riviera Red on a Toyota, same paint code. Many thanks to my wonderful wife who picked the color.

A word to the wise on this color. Variances in light sources (sunny day versus cloudy days, noon lighting versus morning versus dusk, inside lights or parking lot lights at night and so on) can really make this color look different. I've seen it look like this bright red to crimson or cardinal to something I'd call root beer, all depending on the time of day and the source lighting. Even the camera and monitor can change your colors.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by beg3yrs
Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated. You can follow the whole history (if you're really bored) over on a Z forum at: 260Z Restoration as a Retirement Project - ZDriver.com

It is a factory color but it doesn't belong to Nissan. It comes from a Lexus and is called Crystal Crimson Shine, code 3S8. It's also called Riviera Red on a Toyota, same paint code. Many thanks to my wonderful wife who picked the color.

A word to the wise on this color. Variances in light sources (sunny day versus cloudy days, noon lighting versus morning versus dusk, inside lights or parking lot lights at night and so on) can really make this color look different. I've seen it look like this bright red to crimson or cardinal to something I'd call root beer, all depending on the time of day and the source lighting. Even the camera and monitor can change your colors.
Nice read!!!!!!!!! I posted there...

Old 06-02-2016, 08:44 PM
Received 77 Likes on 28 Posts

Just my two cents (maybe worth 1/2 that much) but I have never had comments on any car I have driven with the exception of my Porsche 356a and my 1969 XKE (series 2) that I totaled 3 months after I bought it. I think the XK8 has the potential.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm never selling my XK8, Its a classic already

Old 06-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

I often toy around with what next convertible I might buy in a couple of years to replace my jag (such as a USED Maserati Gran Turismo or a USED Aston Martin or a USED Viper SRT10)... BUT... then I will look at my car as I approach it in a parking lot and I will fall in love all over again and think, "this car is gorgeous... maybe I will just keep this one forever - what do I need a different car for??"

It is and always will be a classic to me... I fell in love with them back in 1996 when I saw my first one and I still am in awe as to their beauty.

THAT'S WHY THIS CAR IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A CLASSIC!

The following 2 users liked this post by blindside:
tberg (06-05-2016), XK for life (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

I too, occasionally ponder what might be next. A Ferrari 456 might be order (SWEET!). But could I put 90,000 miles on a Ferrari in less than 4 years? Oh well, I guess I'll just have to have both! - lol

Old 06-03-2016, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

I have put so much time, money and work in my car so I never intend to sell it. Despite being offered good sums of money to do so. How would I ever replace it.

Take a look at my 'story' Franks XKR Story.

Still a few jobs to do though.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blindside
I often toy around with what next convertible I might buy in a couple of years to replace my jag (such as a USED Maserati Gran Turismo or a USED Aston Martin or a USED Viper SRT10)... BUT... then I will look at my car as I approach it in a parking lot and I will fall in love all over again and think, "this car is gorgeous... maybe I will just keep this one forever - what do I need a different car for??"

It is and always will be a classic to me... I fell in love with them back in 1996 when I saw my first one and I still am in awe as to their beauty.

THAT'S WHY THIS CAR IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A CLASSIC!
I'm in 100% agreement. A classic from day 1

Old 06-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

xks are ok but a classic maybe not its no xjs. the xjs now that is a classic the last of the v12s

Old 06-04-2016, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by revski666
xks are ok but a classic maybe not its no xjs. the xjs now that is a classic the last of the v12s
If we were to be picky the last of the V12's were not the XJS anyway.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by revski666

Its all a question of personal taste's.

I do not really know the XJ's that well. Have the XJ'S tripled in value over the last few years and are very hard to get hold of like the XK's?

Quick Reply: Will XKR and XK8 be a future classic