Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK-8 top not closing

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK-8 top not closing

Hello everybody,

I have a 1997 Jaguar XK-8. The convertible top is open, and from one minute to the next, the open/close button is not working, totally dead.
I have no idea if there is a fuse I can check before I take it in and spend $117 just to have the problem diagnosed. I tried looking in the manual, and looking at the fuse box in the luggage compartment, but could not find anything. (This does not mean it does not exist, unfortunately I am not much of a mechanic, to say the least.)
Finally I tried to manually close the top following the directions in the manual, but even after having turned the appropriate "bleeder valve" (or whatever it is called) counterclockwise as instructed, and then manually trying to pull up the top, it is not budging, and I have applied as much pressure I deemed reasonable, still does not move at all.
Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I was supposed to take it on a trip this weekend (December 10, 2016) with my son who lives in Europe, so time is of the essence....

Old 12-07-2016, 06:03 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

First check that the fluid level in the tank is at the top embossed line on the tank. Second see if the fluid is a green color and not brown. In either situation open the roof manually by opening the petcock and making sure the roof is totally open then check the front latch closed completely. Br sure to close the petcock! Once that is done do a hard reset on the car. I will provide a link for that. Once you have done start the car and hold the close button. The front windows will go down a bit the latch should open and the roof should go up. Keep in mind the roof may hesitate a bit so continue to hold the close button until it closes and the rear windows go up. Give that a try and see if it works. I should mention that after the hard reset and you start the car the engine will idle high do not panic it will settle down in just a few moments.

Link to hard reset JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 12-07-2016, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

To check the fuse, after removing the carpeted floor panel the fuse box is a clack square box on your right. Lift off the fuse box cover. The top fuse is the orange fuse with the number 40, for 40 amps on it.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-07-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Default XK8 top won't close

"In either situation open the roof manually by opening the petcock and making sure the roof is totally open then check the front latch closed completely. Br sure to close the petcock! "

Hi Gus,
Thanks so much for your quick reply.
However, I do not understand the above.
I am not sure what you mean by 'open the roof manually." It is open already, and now it won't close. Or do anything...
I tried closing it manually by turning the petcock counterclockwise as far as it would go, but I still cannot pull the roof up, it is totally locked in place in the open position...

Old 12-07-2016, 07:42 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

If the roof is open just open the petcock and make sure the roof is all the way open and the latch is closed then close the petcock. This system has micro switches and they must be satisfied before it will reset properly. The switches tell the computer what position the roof and latch are in and when it is not correct it does not help the situation.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:57 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Just to clarify the latch is located in the header. It is the claw that grabs the roof and closes it completely against the header. You can check it closed by inserting the allen wrench (located in the trunk at the pump) in the header just to the right of the mirror. The hole is covered with a plastic plug.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
To check the fuse, after removing the carpeted floor panel the fuse box is a clack square box on your right. Lift off the fuse box cover. The top fuse is the orange fuse with the number 40, for 40 amps on it.
Thanks. As it turns out the fuse was intact.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:52 AM

Hi Gus,

I tried the hard reset, but the negative cable would not reach the plus cable,
so I turned on the ignition, then turned on the light switch and held down the horn for 30 seconds. I have to admit I was not sure if i was on candid camera! But after that I switched the ignition off, reattached the negative battery cable, and started the car. I checked the radio to see if it had lost its memory, and that was NOT the case. Nevertheless I tried holding down the close/open roof button, and as nothing had happened after some 30 seconds, I was just about to give up, when BOOM I heard the familiar "ding" signal, and the roof started closing!
So let me put it this way: if you ever come to Las Vegas, please let me know, and I will buy you beer!
The only thing I did not check was the fluid, as I do not know where the tank is located, so if you could guide me to that location you will be eligible for lunch too! :-)
Thanks so much again, the help is REALLY appreciated!

Old 12-08-2016, 11:22 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Not a problem! As for filling the tank you can find it on my web page along with a bunch of other stuff..

Gus
www.jagrepair.com