XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 Newbiee

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK8 Newbiee

Hi All, finally got an XK & this makes me smile. I cant stop smiling everytime i look at it, but alas, i've a gearbox issue. I'm new to all this, but was seeking advise on what code reader in the UK is up to the job?

Old 05-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

What year is the car? What is happening?

Old 05-03-2016, 02:47 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by XK for life
Hi All, finally got an XK & this makes me smile. I cant stop smiling everytime i look at it, but alas, i've a gearbox issue. I'm new to all this, but was seeking advise on what code reader in the UK is up to the job?
Welcome to the forum XK for life,

Sorry to hear about the gearbox issue. Post some further details on model year and symptoms and I'm sure you'll get useful help and advice.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-03-2016, 02:57 PM

Thanks, I always wanted one, 20 years ago it was a dream, now I have a 1996 4.0 XK8 Coupe, 120,000 miles, good history and all stamps in the book. Transmission fluid changed at 75,000 miles according to receipt in the mountain of paperwork. Its a problem with poor power to pull away, and if I floor it, there is like clutch slip & I hit 7000 RPM.
I took the sump off the gearbox tonight to see if it was full of metal. I found, what I believe is the original 1996 filter & there was a little fine power on the magnets, but no metal bits. Although i spilt a bit, i only recovered about 5l of fluid, so I've ordered new filter & getting new Esso LT71141 oil tomorrow & going to put it back together to see what happens. Yes, I still got a smile.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:00 PM

Gearbox sump before being cleaned. I didn't think it was too bad for 120,000 miles

Old 05-03-2016, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Sounds good. No "Chunks" on the magnets is always a relief. Just changing the fluid can sometimes make a difference. It certainly did for mine (6HP26). Just make sure your fluid level is proper.

The following users liked this post:
XK for life (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by scardini1
Sounds good. No "Chunks" on the magnets is always a relief. Just changing the fluid can sometimes make a difference. It certainly did for mine (6HP26). Just make sure your fluid level is proper.
Appreciated, i know mine is the older ZF 5HP box, with the famous A Drum, but everything can be fixed, may take time & a lot of work, but the smile at the end is always worth it.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

I just dropped the pan on my ZF 5HP-24 and it also had the original filter (which I left in there), the fluid looked like yours and there were no shavings. My trans would slip on hard acceleration too. I installed the Aftermarket dip stick while I was there: 5HP24 Dip Stick

The fluid change made a big difference! No slip!

I also did both sets of tensioners and chains, metal water pump and thermostat housing too BTW. Big difference in performance.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:01 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

HI and welcome if you have not put the pan back on yeat i have ben told about a replacement part to protect the a drum . i an shure their is a teck tip on this . i have not had a chance to do nime yeat but plan to. good luck and all the best

Old 05-09-2016, 03:42 AM

Hope you don't have to have a transmission rebuild, mine did! Just got it back on Friday it now goes as it should and was worth the £2535!

Silver 2002 coupe
47k, 4.2

Old 05-09-2016, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by cyber3d
I just dropped the pan on my ZF 5HP-24 and it also had the original filter (which I left in there), the fluid looked like yours and there were no shavings. My trans would slip on hard acceleration too. I installed the Aftermarket dip stick while I was there: 5HP24 Dip Stick

The fluid change made a big difference! No slip!

I also did both sets of tensioners and chains, metal water pump and thermostat housing too BTW. Big difference in performance.
Thanks for a positive response, I'm optimistic that it's a easy fix, and I'm going to look into the dipstick, whilst in trying to locate the correct fluid to refill. I'm thinking the engine work can wait till the winter, but your comments are very much appreciated . Always enjoy the XK

Last edited by GGG; 05-22-2016 at 10:01 AM. Reason: repair QUOTE marks
Old 05-09-2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry Gegg
Hope you don't have to have a transmission rebuild, mine did! Just got it back on Friday it now goes as it should and was worth the £2535!

Silver 2002 coupe
47k, 4.2
Good to know your back on the road enjoyed yang the XK, shame Ito cost so much

Old 05-22-2016, 04:47 AM

todays the day to find out..... I will post an update later

Old 05-22-2016, 08:52 AM

OK, it took 4 try's to get the oil level right, mainly due to temperature reaching 50 & them having to wait for over an hour for it to cool down to try again. Finally on the 4th go, just as the temperature hit 40, there it was, a full gearbox, all perfectly level, having previously run through the gears twice, it started to dribble out. Out came the fill pipe, out came the temperature probe and the fill plug was put back in & nipped tight.
Due to time & weather, tomorrow should see the wheels back on the ground & a test run to establish a result.....

Old 05-27-2016, 02:04 AM

Failure...... still slips changing 1 - 2 under load & gearbox failure pops up.
I shall invest in a fault code reader.....

Old 05-27-2016, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

I'm leaning towards A drum failure. My 99 xk8 was slipping like yours and would go to limp mode. It showed gearbox failure and a code for 2nd gear improper ratio. I don't recall the code #. I had no metal in the pan either. Removed transmission opened it up and found that the A drum had failed. The top or the drum was separating but hadn't broken of the drum. It separated enough to cause the clutch to slip but since it hadn't broken off yet there wasn't any chunks in the pan. If this is the case you lucky because you can repair before more damage is done. I don't know if this is your case but I feel it is a strong possibility. I would still check your codes first to see what you get. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:40 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum XK for life,

Graham
haha I read that as welcome to the XK forum for life! Probably not too far wrong...;-)

Old 05-27-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by BobRoy
I'm leaning towards A drum failure. My 99 xk8 was slipping like yours and would go to limp mode. It showed gearbox failure and a code for 2nd gear improper ratio. I don't recall the code #. I had no metal in the pan either. Removed transmission opened it up and found that the A drum had failed. The top or the drum was separating but hadn't broken of the drum. It separated enough to cause the clutch to slip but since it hadn't broken off yet there wasn't any chunks in the pan. If this is the case you lucky because you can repair before more damage is done. I don't know if this is your case but I feel it is a strong possibility. I would still check your codes first to see what you get. Good luck.
Information much appreciated, and I fear this may be the case. Was the A drum a big job?

Old 05-27-2016, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

I don't think it is too difficult just time consuming. The hardest part is getting the transmission out. I have a car lift that makes it a lot easier. It's about $500 in parts when I do it. I would still check your codes just in case it is something else.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by BobRoy
I don't think it is too difficult just time consuming. The hardest part is getting the transmission out. I have a car lift that makes it a lot easier. It's about $500 in parts when I do it. I would still check your codes just in case it is something else.
Progressing well. Almost removed the exhaust today, just the rear section to do, but I can leave that bit for now & work on the transmission removal.
I read that the TQ needs to be unbolted first? Any information?

Regards

Quick Reply: XK8 Newbiee